How to input Mac Mini into WiiM Amp?

micah511

Hello, I just recently got the WiiM amp and love it so far. Most of the time I’m listening to music using the WiiM app, but I do have a Mac mini that I watch videos on occasionally, and noticed a decent lag when using airplay. What would be the best way to hardwire it into the amp? Would a USB to optical adapter then into the optical input on the amp use the internal DAC of the amp? I know I can use the headphone out on the Mac mini into the RCA input, but I assume that is not using the amp’s DAC. Thanks in advance!

I know I can use the headphone out on the Mac mini into the RCA input, but I assume that is not using the amp’s DAC
It would use the Amp’s DAC, too. But with an additional Digital-To-Analog-Analog-To-Digital chain before. The Amp’s analog input (RCA) is converted to digital for an identical processing pipeline for all inputs.

It would use the Amp’s DAC, too. But with an additional Digital-To-Analog-Analog-To-Digital chain before. The Amp’s analog input (RCA) is converted to digital for an identical processing pipeline for all inputs.
Huh, that’s interesting. Seems like people using analog inputs like record players wouldn’t want that? So you’re saying it should sound the same or close through the RCA as it would using the usb to optical cable?

So you’re saying it should sound the same or close through the RCA as it would using the usb to optical cable?
No, I expect some signal degradation through the digital-to-analog conversion done by the Mac Mini. If it’s audible depends on source material/quality and your ears. For watching movies I would say the quality loss doesn’t really matter.

Back