Marantz M-CR611 VS WiiM amp ?

Jay x

Hi everyone.

I am running a smart TV via optical into a:-

Marantz M-CR611 Into Monitor Audio Radius 270 towers using a sub out hi pass/low pass setting to a Cambridge audio Minx 201 active sub (to take the strain off the amp)

It's always felt a bit limp. And the remote is a bit iffy and tempramental.

Ive started to look into alternatives.

I have no doubt that the WiiM amp software and streaming services are next level and that the e arc hdmi is super useful.

What I want to know is... from a dac quality and amp perspective... is the WiiM Amp any better ?

Thanks

Well let’s just say, the Wiim Amp is driving my Sonus Faber Lumina III floor standing speakers without issues and sound fantastic

Well let’s just say, the Wiim Amp is driving my Sonus Faber Lumina III floor standing speakers without issues and sound fantastic
Whats the sensitivity on them ?

I downgraded to the monitor audio radius 270's when I left my last home. Taking away the 270's which had been replaced by monitor audio gold 300's that were part of a marrantz av with additional power amp into the 3 front channels (a 9.2 Atmos) setup... a bit monster... but damn, the control, depth and impact when desired was megga... even with the golds in 2.0.

My new room is a LOT smaller utilising my prior front/left radius 270's from the atmos system as this 2.1 .... with this more toy like marrantz 'network' hifi box ....
But... I just need a bit more definition and more grunt.... was hoping the WiiM Amp would deliver this ?

Get a Fosi ZA3 Amp instead and attach a WIIM pro plus to it.

Get a Fosi ZA3 Amp instead and attach a WIIM pro plus to it.
Odly enough that's what I was originally researching ! although, with a... S M S L - D6s dac ... as streaming not a top priority for me.

My youtube rabbit hole review journey led me to consider the WiiM amp

(Edit) - I'm warming to streaming possibilities if its going to be better than the TV apps built into the telli ??

Last edited:
Fosi ZA3 and Wiim Amp use the same amp chip ? But not the same output stage ? Possibly weaker output stage on the WiiM Amp compared to the Fosi ZA3 (WHICH LOOKS LUSH BTW)

My question though, does the WiiM Amp still exhibit more grunt than the Marrantz M-CR 611 ?

I'm guessing the Marrantz Class D Amp is inferior to the WiiM Amp class D due to advances ? And the same with internal DAC's? (Hope this to be the case)

Last edited:
I have a story about early class D topology ... I may share ;)

Things have moved on though

Don't know about the CR 611. I have a CR-401 cd receiver from Marantz (An A/B stereo amp), that performs very similar to the Fosi TB10D. The main difference between the WIIM amp and the ZA3 is the ZA3 is a simpler device with less compromises to fit a lot in one box. Especially the power supply can be a lot beefier that way so it is being able to drive bigger loads. Even better when you get two to use in mono.

Don't know about the CR 611. I have a CR-401 cd receiver from Marantz (An A/B stereo amp), that performs very similar to the Fosi TB10D. The main difference between the WIIM amp and the ZA3 is the ZA3 is a simpler device with less compromises to fit a lot in one box. Especially the power supply can be a lot beefier that way so it is being able to drive bigger loads. Even better when you get two to use in mono.
I'm sure my CR 611 is Class D. Mainly a plastic enclosure.
It's also a 10 year old design now. This being one of the first to utilise this chassis and case.

I'm sold on the form factor, connectivity and design of the WiiM Amp. It looks like a perfect replacement to me....
I just need reassurance that sonically, it's not a step backwards.

Obviously Marrantz has a good name, but this was an entry 'lifestyle' product for them 10 year ago... I assume the DAC and Class D in this new WiiM Amp has moved the game on ?????

I note the comparisons of the WIiM amp and Fosi alternative. (I like the all in one WiiM Amp) But, as im using a Sub anyway, I expect that to help with the heavy lifting.

The comparison/advice needs to be between the WiiM amp and my older Class D Marrantz ...✌️🤝🙏

I have a Marantz NR-1510. It has great audio quality, but the HEOS app for it is absolute garbage that I stopped using within a week of buying that amp years ago. Maybe more recent HEOS versions have improved.

The WiiM Amp and its phone app runs rings around HEOS when it comes to streaming functions. I think you'll want to take the full pre-return period to explore the WiiM services and even if the audio quality of the Marantz is better, you may want to look at the Pro Plus.

The WiiM Amp and its phone app runs rings around HEOS when it comes to streaming functions. I think you'll want to take the full pre-return period to explore the WiiM services and even if the audio quality of the Marantz is better, you may want to look at the Pro Plus.
I'm not even sure if the M-CR611has HEOS support. If I remember correctly, most of this stuff came with the M-CR612 Melody X.

@Jay x, sub management/integration is a lot more flexible on the WiiM Amp than the Marantz. You could and possibly should play around with the best crossover frequency. The only thing you should need to worry about on the sub is the continuous phase control. With sub volume set to 12 o'clock and sub x-over frequency set to the max of 200 Hz everything else should be done in the WiiM Home App (except the phase).

Looking forward to your experience. The little Marantz was really great at its time.

Back