Wiim Amp vs Class AB Amplifier

The WiiM amp is a wonderful device for convenience. If you want more power / sound then buy a proper receiver and the wiim pro plus.
Many users want wiim amp to perform like naim or hifi rose knowing its price performance price ratio. To my ear, wiim amp is about 90 percent you get from those high end and that remaining 10 percent is extremely expressive.

Many users want wiim amp to perform like naim or hifi rose knowing its price performance price ratio. To my ear, wiim amp is about 90 percent you get from those high end and that remaining 10 percent is extremely expressive.
What we need is a Wiim Amp Pro, costing somewhere in the region of £1000 with the pro plus dac, and an upgraded amp, for those sorts of buyers.

If you need more power, the most efficient way is adding a good subwoofer, crossing the main speakers no lower than 100 Hz. :)

In addition, speaker efficiency matters just as much as output power. Remember, choosing a speaker with 3 dB higher efficiency does exactly the same as doubling the amp's power.

PS:
And double the power does not mean twice as loud ...

If you need more power, the most efficient way is adding a good subwoofer, crossing the main speakers no lower than 100 Hz. :)

In addition, speaker efficiency matters just as much as output power. Remember, choosing a speaker with 3 dB higher efficiency does exactly the same as doubling the amp's power.

PS:
And double the power does not mean twice as loud ...
I'm good with just the speakers , my initial problem was a bad recording. I'm satisfied with lows on Wharfedale , a sub will cause many problems on my listening room , my acoustic treatment is missing;).
And I'm good with Wiim power , I use 60% volume and for my untrained ears it sound great. Soundstage, instruments separation . I'm impressed, Wiim amp it's a great all-in-one.
Maybe, other brands , premium brands(not high end) will take Wiim example.

And I'm good with Wiim power , I use 60% volume and for my untrained ears it sound great. Soundstage, instruments separation . I'm impressed, Wiim amp it's a great all-in-one.
Good to hear you are satisfied in the end. These speakers really should be a really good match for the Amp.

I'm satisfied with lows on Wharfedale , a sub will cause many problems on my listening room , my acoustic treatment is missing;).
Actually, a sub should make room modes easier to handle, not harder, if you have some freedom where to place it (independently from the mains). Acoustic treatment is pretty expensive and/or inefficient in the low bass region. However, you certainly do not have to add a sub, given your speakers can do everything you want, driven by the WiiM Amp.

Not about ab vs d. There are multiple class d amps that sounds so much better than old ab models. For exmaple, you will have a hard time to find ab amps that can beat class d amp like pa7 plus for the same peice. It is just that wiim amp struggles a bit with some speakers. For the price, wiim amp is still very good.

Good to hear you are satisfied in the end. These speakers really should be a really good match for the Amp.

Actually, a sub should make room modes easier to handle, not harder, if you have some freedom where to place it (independently from the mains). Acoustic treatment is pretty expensive and/or inefficient in the low bass region. However, you certainly do not have to add a sub, given your speakers can do everything you want, driven by the WiiM Amp.
The only position I can use for a sub is near the mains(in line with them), I'm not sure this is a good alternative. For time being , I'm happy , in the near future I'll upgrade the amp for Wharfedale , and wiim amp will be use in the bedroom with some Q Acoustics 3030i(and a sub ).

The only position I can use for a sub is near the mains(in line with them), I'm not sure this is a good alternative. For time being , I'm happy , in the near future I'll upgrade the amp for Wharfedale , and wiim amp will be use in the bedroom with some Q Acoustics 3030i(and a sub ).
I placed my sub near the speakers..very pleased with the sound 😮👍 Sub improved all even more..

Not about ab vs d. There are multiple class d amps that sounds so much better than old ab models. For exmaple, you will have a hard time to find ab amps that can beat class d amp like pa7 plus for the same peice. It is just that wiim amp struggles a bit with some speakers. For the price, wiim amp is still very good.
My speakers are(89db) 8Ohm , minimum 4,3 Ohm , wiim has 120W in 4ohm so I don't think wiim will struggle , but with speakers with less sensitivity (86/87db) it will have some issues.

Last edited:
My speakers are(89db) 8Ohm , minimum 4,3 Ohm , wiim has 120W in 4ohm so I don't think wiim will struggle , but with speakers with less sensitivity (86/87db) it will have some issues.
Wiim Amp is 60w for 8ohm which your speakers are. Technically is more than enough under normal listening levels. You are right your speakers aren't super sensitive. Wiim Amp will just work a little harder that's all. If you like the SQ, that's all that matters.

Wiim Amp is 60w for 8ohm which your speakers are. Technically is more than enough under normal listening levels. You are right your speakers aren't super sensitive. Wiim Amp will just work a little harder that's all. If you like the SQ, that's all that matters.
Wharfedale Evo 4.4 might be 8 ohms nominally. But technically, they are more like 4 - 6 ohms where it really counts, in the most power hungry bass region. So, the WiiM Amp can deliver more that 60 Watts when needed. Somewhat ironically, this info is provided by Danny Richie:

We can only speculate about why so many manufacturers claim their speakers beeing 8 ohms when they really should be rated as 4 ohms. The most likely reason is (once again) sensitivity numbers. 89 dB at 1 m/1 W simply means that measuring at 2.83 Volts for 8 ohm speakers. If they would stick to the more honest 4 ohms rating this would turn into 86 dB at 1 m/1 W.

It is still true that the SPL at 2.83 V RMS will be 89 dB, or course.

Wharfedale Evo 4.4 might be 8 ohms nominally. But technically, they are more like 4 - 6 ohms where it really counts, in the most power hungry bass region. So, the WiiM Amp can deliver more that 60 Watts when needed. Somewhat ironically, this info is provided by Danny Richie:

We can only speculate about why so many manufacturers claim their speakers beeing 8 ohms when they really should be rated as 4 ohms. The most likely reason is (once again) sensitivity numbers. 89 dB at 1 m/1 W simply means that measuring at 2.83 Volts for 8 ohm speakers. If they would stick to the more honest 4 ohms rating this would turn into 86 dB at 1 m/1 W.

It is still true that the SPL at 2.83 V RMS will be 89 dB, or course.
They use a more "relaxed" expression. 8 ohms compatible, minimum 4.3 ohms. ;))

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-083100.png
    Screenshot_20240216-083100.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 6
I did notice this creative expression. ;)

There once was a common baseline amongst Hi-Fi manufacturers (probably based on a very old DIN spec) that the lowest value of actual impedance must be no lower than nominal impedance - 20%. That's 6.4 ohms for an 8 ohm speaker and (consequently) 3.2 ohms for a 4 ohm speaker.

Nobody seems to worry about that anymore. And to be fair, there's more to how hard a speaker is to drive than just the minimum absolute impedance value. From my point of view every half decent amplifier should be able to deal with 4 ohm speakers.

This is a truly excellent article dealing with impedance and sensitivity:

Last edited:
Back