My WiiM Amp tests

Hi WiiM.

This product has only just arrived Europe.

Can you confirm whether Amazon UK’s allocation may be affected, or are we safe to order from them?

Many thanks.
Hi Steve,

Certainly, ordering from Amazon UK is safe. The issue affects only very few units, with even fewer in the UK. Thank you!

Where is the filter setting on wiim amp?
The ES9018 datasheet, show one type digital filter only, with selectable fast/slow roll off.
Different from ES9038, that has 7 filters.
I can be wrong but I think it's a characteristic of the chip, the only dac with 9018 I had (SMSL 100), didn't give filter selection

The ES9018 datasheet, show one type digital filter only, with selectable fast/slow roll off.
Different from ES9038, that has 7 filters.
I can be wrong but I think it's a characteristic of the chip, the only dac with 9018 I had (SMSL 100), didn't give filter selection

In case anyone is really interested in the 9018, I found this page quite interesting, about the benchmark dac2.
For those who don't like clicking links, try searching for "benchmark dac2 9018" or "inside the dac2 digital processing".

I've added the Amp today as the supported WiiM device, so yes, it should work. Just use current "beta" branch.

I can't find the HDMI in the source list. Is it missing in the code or do I have to adjust something?

Hi, first off, thank you for the measurements!

Regarding the high frequency switching noise, you mention that
I've been told that it's related to the PSU and it will be eliminated in the next HW iteration.
and
it shouldn't bother typical speakers

But I can't help wondering: since it affects both the speaker output and the sub output, it means it not only affects the amplification circuit, but the whole system…

Shouldn't this kind of HF noise be eliminated by decoupling capacitors at the output of the power supply?

Also, as the RCA inputs are converted to digital (meaning: sampled), can't the HF noise also cause aliasing and degrade the signal in this case?

And "eliminated in the next HW iteration", does it mean simply changing a few capacitor values, or changing the PSU layout at a deeper level? And did you get an estimate of when this would happen?

Edit: also, an ADC (as used by the RCA inputs) works by comparing the input voltage to a fixed reference. Would this fixed reference be affected by the HF noise too?

Last edited:
Hi, first off, thank you for the measurements!

Regarding the high frequency switching noise, you mention that

and

But I can't help wondering: since it affects both the speaker output and the sub output, it means it not only affects the amplification circuit, but the whole system…

Shouldn't this kind of HF noise be eliminated by decoupling capacitors at the output of the power supply?

Also, as the RCA inputs are converted to digital (meaning: sampled), can't the HF noise also cause aliasing and degrade the signal in this case?

And "eliminated in the next HW iteration", does it mean simply changing a few capacitor values, or changing the PSU layout at a deeper level? And did you get an estimate of when this would happen?
I think there are two things mixed together - a class d amp switching frequency signal which is present on the speaker outputs, and hf signal which is present on the sub out. The last one is related to the PSU and it should be fixed with the next HW iteration.
I don't know what is the reason more precisely, maybe something related to caps as you mentioned it. I'm not a guy with such kind of knowledge.
Analog inputs are not affected, at least not directly.
All I know is the statement, that this issue will be eliminated by hardware changes.

And, unfortunately, I do not see a way to switch to HDMI source using http api...
I just added the HDMI in your mediaplayer.py and it seems to work. I can switch to HDMI in HomeAssistant.

Python:
SOURCES = {'line-in': 'Analog',
           'optical': 'Toslink',
           'HDMI': 'HDMI'}

SOURCES_MAP = {'-1': 'Idle',
               '0': 'Idle',
               '1': 'Airplay',
               '2': 'DLNA',
               '3': 'Amazon',
                           '4': '???',
               '5': 'Chromecast',
               '10': 'Network',
               '20': 'Network',                   
               '31': 'Spotify',
               '32': 'TIDAL',
                           '33': 'Roon',
                           '34': 'Squeezelite',
               '40': 'Analog',
               '41': 'Bluetooth',
               '43': 'Toslink',                   
               '49': 'HDMI',
               '99': 'Idle'}

SOURCES_IDLE = ['-1', '0', '99']
SOURCES_LIVEIN = ['40', '41', '43']
SOURCES_STREAM = ['1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '10', '20', '33', '34']
SOURCES_CONNECT = ['31', '32']

I just added the HDMI in your mediaplayer.py and it seems to work. I can switch to HDMI in HomeAssistant.

Python:
SOURCES = {'line-in': 'Analog',
           'optical': 'Toslink',
           'HDMI': 'HDMI'}

SOURCES_MAP = {'-1': 'Idle',
               '0': 'Idle',
               '1': 'Airplay',
               '2': 'DLNA',
               '3': 'Amazon',
                           '4': '???',
               '5': 'Chromecast',
               '10': 'Network',
               '20': 'Network',                 
               '31': 'Spotify',
               '32': 'TIDAL',
                           '33': 'Roon',
                           '34': 'Squeezelite',
               '40': 'Analog',
               '41': 'Bluetooth',
               '43': 'Toslink',                 
               '49': 'HDMI',
               '99': 'Idle'}

SOURCES_IDLE = ['-1', '0', '99']
SOURCES_LIVEIN = ['40', '41', '43']
SOURCES_STREAM = ['1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '10', '20', '33', '34']
SOURCES_CONNECT = ['31', '32']
Interesting! I was calling setPlayerCmd:switchmode:HDMI for testing purposes and switching was not working for me.

It's clear now, switchmode parameters are case sensitive and I was using 'hdmi' obviously.

Could this be related to
"Turning off an HDMI-connected Samsung ‘The Frame’ TV shuts off sound to the loudspeakers (as we’d expect) but a low-level randomised ‘put-put-put’ sound (noise interference?) continues to spill from the KEF KC62 subwoofer. I have to switch the WiiM AMP over to another input to make it stop...This subwoofer ‘noise interference’ also shows up sometimes – but not always – after having used the TOSLINK input." from
https://darko.audio/2023/11/wiim-amp-review-flying-high-on-value-for-money/
I also have this issue with subwoofer 'put put' random interference when shutting off HDMI connected TV. For me it is rather loud, perhaps due to running the subwoofer on max volume. I have the latest firmware update as far as I know: 5.0.540148. I submitted a ticket: 495499. This is my biggest issue with the amp so far.
Was this fixed by the first firmware update?

I also have this issue with subwoofer 'put put' random interference when shutting off HDMI connected TV. For me it is rather loud, perhaps due to running the subwoofer on max volume. I have the latest firmware update as far as I know: 5.0.540148. I submitted a ticket: 495499. This is my biggest issue with the amp so far.
I'm experiencing the same issue. Started after 5.0.540148 upgrade.

Hi Team,

It appears that the recent firmware update may be causing the 'put-put' noise when HDMI is turned off. To address this, could you please submit a ticket through the WiiM Home App? We'll promptly issue a fix to your device. After applying the fix, we'd be grateful if you could confirm whether the issue is resolved in your specific scenario. Your assistance is invaluable to us, and we appreciate your continued support.

Hi Team,

It appears that the recent firmware update may be causing the 'put-put' noise when HDMI is turned off. To address this, could you please submit a ticket through the WiiM Home App? We'll promptly issue a fix to your device. After applying the fix, we'd be grateful if you could confirm whether the issue is resolved in your specific scenario. Your assistance is invaluable to us, and we appreciate your continued support.
Done

Looks like "PCB_version": "4" unit has appeared, according to the report on ASR. Mine is "2".

Back