My WiiM Amp tests, chapter 2

Received my unit in early January, from Amazon Italy.

Read about coil whine and I recorded with my smartphone what can be heard, very faintly, from about 30-40cm of distance (younger people might hear it from farther away, I don't know).

I amplified the recording a lot, in order to make it clearly audible. Mine is PCB version 4, I have till early February for a refund. I'm not sure what I should do, to be honest. If the noise indicates a faulty unit, I wouldn't want to keep it. Especially if it could mean trouble farther ahead in time.

I had ver 2 which I just returned. I will wait for few months to ensure all all the pcb revision is final. Right now ver 5 is the current and who knows there maybe ver 6.

I am sure there are plenty of customers from the first batch that did not notice the hum and not reading the forum. However, I also will note that I have not seen anyone speak up that their first batch unit is without any hum once inspected like we now hear with Ver 5 units.
For fear and balanced reporting…..

I just saw on the ASR thread a reference PCB v2 unit without any audible hum.

Post in thread 'WiiM Amp discussion'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-amp-discussion.47096/post-1859504

Maybe (or hopefully) there will be a zero hum correlation from PCB version 5 on. ;)

In reality, it could come back at any later time, depending on quality variation of sourced parts.

Maybe (or hopefully) there will be a zero hum correlation from PCB version 5 on. ;)

In reality, it could come back at any later time, depending on quality variation of sourced parts.
of course and is essential in the future..
but if there are different generations of pcb it is because there is not only that... has already been the case with the "plus"

Looks like standby detection is a bit buggy. Feeding the Amp over spdif with the content on the right channel only does not prevent it from going to standby.

I returned my "PCB_version": "2" Amp which I bought in December to Amazon.de. The whine/hiss/high pitched was (just) audible enough that I could hear it from my couch and I knew it would get to me. Today I received a new PCB version 5 and if I put my ear to the amp I can hear something but honestly it is now a non-issue.

The swapping of the analog ports is an easy way to spot the difference: the white rca post is now above the sub out vs the red one on the older version.

I really wanted a new WiiM aAmp because besides the power supply pitch, I was extremely happy with the amp. I replaced a Denon stereo receiver (DRA-800H) which never really convincingly drove the Dali Oberon 7 speakers I have. My teenage daughters heard the difference within 10 seconds: more resolution and better bass (very noticeable on kick drums). Exactly the things that stood out for me too.

I returned my "PCB_version": "2" Amp which I bought in December to Amazon.de. The whine/hiss/high pitched was (just) audible enough that I could hear it from my couch and I knew it would get to me. Today I received a new PCB version 5 and if I put my ear to the amp I can hear something but honestly it is now a non-issue.

The swapping of the analog ports is an easy way to spot the difference: the white rca post is now above the sub out vs the red one on the older version.

I really wanted a new WiiM aAmp because besides the power supply pitch, I was extremely happy with the amp. I replaced a Denon stereo receiver (DRA-800H) which never really convincingly drove the Dali Oberon 7 speakers I have. My teenage daughters heard the difference within 10 seconds: more resolution and better bass (very noticeable on kick drums). Exactly the things that stood out for me too.
in the "common places" of the hifi...
the aspect-the impression of more definition immediately perceptible would worry me a little because I often have a poorly highlighted treble etc and a fatigue to come... on the other hand, especially for 3 voices like yours, the effectiveness of this type of class d is often quite obvious on the bass, like their uses on sub etc
you will tell us about the use over a somewhat long period
;-)

I'm new to the community because I just received my WiiM Amp 2 days ago from Amazon US.

Code:
"project_build_name": "WiiM_AMP", "Release": "20240124", "FW_Release_version": "", "PCB_version": "5",

No hum, no issues I noticed. Didn't even knew previous versions had issues :oops:

Gotta say, this is my first time using an amp like that and it's blowing my mind—never used an amp with an app interface and all the controls available.

Here it is, for pcb 2 and the old firmware:

1700752608585-png.3522

Steepness looks the same for me. Differences are rather related to better filter attenuation and sub out performance in general.

Last edited:
Back