My WiiM Amp tests

Then for example the 3rd harmonic of 25 Hz and the 2nd of 37.5 Hz will be still in the range easily.
If I lower the subwoofer volume level on my WiiM amp and increase the volume of the subwoofer, will it have less effect?
(Of course, I hope the WiiM team solves this problem.)

Looks like the number or reports about whining/humming noise of the Amp increases. It's obviously not an issue of just my unit, it's something much more common. Pity as I was assured that it has been resolved and will not happen with production units.

Looks like the number or reports about whining/humming noise of the Amp increases. It's obviously not an issue of just my unit, it's something much more common. Pity as I was assured that it has been resolved and will not happen with production units.
Yes, and it seems more people are reporting it on the ASR forum instead of here on the WiiM forum.

I hope they get this sorted.

It’d be a real shame if an otherwise superb product was spoiled by one, presumably easily-fixable, issue.

It lasted long for me giving another statement here, but may be it is important.
  • I have no intention, no need and no usage for a product like the WiiM Amp.
  • Nevertheless I was asked (not by WiiM!) to give my impressions.
  • I experienced a behavior of the item which is a no-go for me and gave the amp back.
  • Because I wanted not finding myself between WiiM, users and my dealer I've stopped further explanations.
  • Living in Germany I know our power "delivery" system is different to other countries. So all is written for this situation.
Measurable was a high voltage on the top of the item. This fingertip feeling was the strongest I ever experienced with a HiFi component. Not in every constellation but in one with a very common "normal" power supply without thinking about the direction of the plug, it fits in both directions here. So if you are able check at least the phase!! No big thing, a multimeter is always helpful and is not expensive. It made the difference, checking this solved the problem and should be the normal way but I know it isn't. I do it with every item here. Not for sound, but for security!
There were too many things I simply didn't know. For example if my test sample was a pre production one and if this issue will be corrected before the delivery of the Amp or if my sample was just a Monday exemplar, so I decided the position "knowing nothing is good enough" as the best one for me. 😉
As I get "compensations" for those looking and listening I solely reported it to the ordering party. But as I wrote above I feel it important.
So this is nothing against the Amp. Simply for security!

Looks like the Amp can no longer go to lower power consumption modes. With the current FW I cannot go below 8.6 W.

Hi Team,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Here are some updates:

Power Consumption Issue: The recent firmware had a bug leading to higher power consumption. We've identified the cause and will release an update next week. The new version will reduce idle mode power consumption to about 3W.

Humming Noise: A very small number of units from our first manufacturing batch exhibit a low humming noise due to the power transformer. This issue has been resolved in subsequent batches. If your unit is affected, please contact us by sending us a feedback ticket.

Your ongoing support is greatly appreciated.

Hi Team,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Here are some updates:

Power Consumption Issue: The recent firmware had a bug leading to higher power consumption. We've identified the cause and will release an update next week. The new version will reduce idle mode power consumption to about 3W.

Humming Noise: A very small number of units from our first manufacturing batch exhibit a low humming noise due to the power transformer. This issue has been resolved in subsequent batches. If your unit is affected, please contact us by sending us a feedback ticket.

Your ongoing support is greatly appreciated.

Hi WiiM.

This product has only just arrived Europe.

Can you confirm whether Amazon UK’s allocation may be affected, or are we safe to order from them?

Many thanks.

I’d go for it - from WiiM’s statement not all units in that first batch were impacted and if your order turns out to be affected, raise a ticket and they’ll sort it out.

the device outputs high frequency component on the sub out. It's at 520 kHz and -15 dBV level which gives the overall Vpp of 680 mV even when no content is played.
Will this prevent a subwoofer with auto on/off going into standby?
Could this be related to
"Turning off an HDMI-connected Samsung ‘The Frame’ TV shuts off sound to the loudspeakers (as we’d expect) but a low-level randomised ‘put-put-put’ sound (noise interference?) continues to spill from the KEF KC62 subwoofer. I have to switch the WiiM AMP over to another input to make it stop...This subwoofer ‘noise interference’ also shows up sometimes – but not always – after having used the TOSLINK input." from
https://darko.audio/2023/11/wiim-amp-review-flying-high-on-value-for-money/

Could this be related to
"Turning off an HDMI-connected Samsung ‘The Frame’ TV shuts off sound to the loudspeakers (as we’d expect) but a low-level randomised ‘put-put-put’ sound (noise interference?) continues to spill from the KEF KC62 subwoofer. I have to switch the WiiM AMP over to another input to make it stop...This subwoofer ‘noise interference’ also shows up sometimes – but not always – after having used the TOSLINK input." from
It might be related I think.

Could this be related to
Was this fixed by the first firmware update?

Back