My WiiM Pro Plus (+) tests

On a serious note, I find blind tests like this very difficult to do and always have. I don’t have very discerning hearing, and it’s only really over a longer period that I decide whether I like something or not - if I quickly get bored with it, it’s not for me. And I’d admit that might well be impacted by external factors, even mood.

On a serious note, I find blind tests like this very difficult to do and always have. I don’t have very discerning hearing, and it’s only really over a longer period that I decide whether I like something or not - if I quickly get bored with it, it’s not for me. And I’d admit that might well be impacted by external factors, even mood.
and alcohol

With the Pro Plus finally out and in stock in the US, it's time to solve the audio puzzle. Y was the Pro Plus, Z was the Mini, X was my 13 years old DAC.
Who is the winner? ;)
I tried the puzzle again at home...and with Foobar2000, my desk Audio Interface (RME BabyFace Pro FS) and HD800S headphones I couldn't reliably tell the difference between the 3.
I could not hear anymore the problematic drums section in 1_x (a certain stuttery quality in some places which existed in my initial test but it seems it was caused by the playback system somehow) but also was not able to tell "the worst" or "the best" when someone else was changing tracks.
So there... :).

It would probably help me to try things like this with tracks I know really well, but it's still a clear indication of something.
That something for me is that it's likely most people who claim they can tell the difference between a 1000 dollars DAC and a 3000 dollars DAC that both measure well and should be audibly transparent are probably full of shit and have not done a blind test.

Either that or I'm just 43 and no longer a part of the "golden ear club" (I never was a member...mind you...).

Last edited:
Don't worry, you can still attend Golden yEars club ;)

BTW, what to say when you see a statement like audible "day and night difference" between WiiM connected to the DAC via optical and Pi with the Allo DigiOne hat connected to the same DAC?

Don't worry, you can still attend Golden yEars club ;)

BTW, what to say when you see a statement like audible "day and night difference" between WiiM connected to the DAC via optical and Pi with the Allo DigiOne hat connected to the same DAC?
I would say it's either "they are hearing with their eyes" or they somehow manage to volume mismatch between the two tests.

New WiiM app released on iOS with selectable DAC filters for the Plus.
a "big job" if you want to update your measurements with the normal "modified" version (firmware? or hardware? we never had any clarifications??) and not the beta..
!!!

do you have the courage?
,-)

Last edited:
a "big job" if you want to update your measurements with the normal "modified" version (firmware? or hardware? we never had any clarifications??) and not the beta..
!!!
;-)
I didn't get a new sample so I can only re-measure the old unit. I will test different filters behavior in few days but for selected measurements only.

I didn't get a new sample so I can only re-measure the old unit. I will test different filters behavior in few days but for selected measurements only.
ahhh sorry..
thank you for filters... ;-)

Thanks - hadn't noticed that feature hidden under audio output. Wasn't mentioned in the release notes that I could see
My standard routine of checking all the options ;)
Alexa language setting seems to be broken. Also no cover art for squeezelite.

Back