Wiim Amp-poor sound from subwoofer via RCA

scoffer

Hello everyone,
When I connect a REL Tzero MKIII subwoofer via RCA to a Wiim amplifier with KEF R3 speakers, the sound from the subwoofer is very weak.

When I connect the same subwoofer, with the same cable, with the same settings (level, crossover, phase, etc.) to a Pioneer NC-50DAB (it has a Class D amplifier with 50 W/ch at 4 ohms), the bass is huge, dynamic and clearly audible.
Changing the settings in Wiim Home does not change anything.
The support has no idea what the problem is.

Maybe some forum members have an idea what could be the cause of this poor subwoofer performance with Wiim Amp via RCA?

Changing the settings in Wiim Home does not change anything.
Which settings did you change and to what settings? However, do the full power cycle first and ensure the Amp is on the latest firmware (5.0.609856).

Which settings did you change and to what settings? However, do the full power cycle first and ensure the Amp is on the latest firmware (5.0.609856).
I have the latest firmware.
In the wiim home settings I changed the level, crossover to the limits to see if it would change anything in the subwoofer performance. Level was set to +15dB as prompted by the support. Nothing changed.
I have no idea how to check if it is the fault of the wiim amp connector or the app.

What is the volume position of the subwoofer and the volume position of the subwoofer in the WiiM app?
1. the output level position at which my REL works perfectly in combination with the Pioneer NC-50 is around 30% of full subwoofer capability.
2. as I connect the wiim amp at the same subwoofer level with the maximum level on the wiim amp - nothing changes
3. as I connect the wiim amp at max subwoofer level and max level wiim amp nothing changes, the sound is weak, the diaphragm moves gently.

1. the output level position at which my REL works perfectly in combination with the Pioneer NC-50 is around 30% of full subwoofer capability.
2. as I connect the wiim amp at the same subwoofer level with the maximum level on the wiim amp - nothing changes
3. as I connect the wiim amp at max subwoofer level and max level wiim amp nothing changes, the sound is weak, the diaphragm moves gently.
Have you tried factory resetting your WiiM amp and reinstalling the WiiM app? If that doesn't solve the problem, there may be a problem with your WiiM amp.

My WiiM amp is connected to a Polk MXT10 (50W / D class) and the sound is coming out without any problems.

Did you get any other advice from support?

Have you tried factory resetting your WiiM amp and reinstalling the WiiM app? If that doesn't solve the problem, there may be a problem with your WiiM amp.

My WiiM amp is connected to a Polk MXT10 (50W / D class) and the sound is coming out without any problems.

Did you get any other advice from support?
Yes, I tried several times to restore the factory settings of the WiiM amplifier and reinstall the WiiM application.

Other than raising the level to +15dB, I received no other advice form support.

Did your Polk, when connected to the wiim amp, work immediately at the appropriate level, or did you have to additionally raise the level in the wiim home app?

Yes, I tried several times to restore the factory settings of the WiiM amplifier and reinstall the WiiM application.

Other than raising the level to +15dB, I received no other advice form support.

Did your Polk, when connected to the wiim amp, work immediately at the appropriate level, or did you have to additionally raise the level in the wiim home app?

SW = Volume:35% / LPF:160(LFE) / input: LFE

IMG_20240314_193656.jpg

WiiM app
SW Settings: Volume: 0dB / Cross: 80hz
Screenshot_2024-03-14-19-37-34-742_com.linkplay.wiimhome-edit.jpg

Main Volume: 25%
Screenshot_2024-03-14-19-40-39-900_com.linkplay.wiimhome-edit.jpg

I played Amazon music's "20Hz-20kHz Sweep" with this setting and measured it with a microphone.

1710061152496.png

There is no problem with the output of SW.

I think it's unlikely that you're doing something wrong, but you might find something if you check all the cable connections, SW settings, etc. again.

At my dealer i did demo a T-Zero (amongst others) and it worked fine with the WiiM Amp we could control as expected via the App level and Crossover. You didn’t mention how its connected understand there are two RCA inputs a Low Level and .1 LFE (plus high level) with gain controls which one are you using ? Have you tried both? Given your WiiM Amp works with the Polk, Just a thought does the NC50 Sub Output full Range and there is something quirky with the T-Zero when only with Low Pass?? There is some interaction between the High/Low inputs /Level controls it seems. Could you take the Amp to your dealer and try there. Best of luck

traditionally for music, we invite rel users to use connect to loudspeakers mode... perhaps just go back to this approach and the more classic internal adjustment modes of the rel and see if it doesn't just match that way...

Last edited:
It looks from my cusory glance at your images that the crossover is incorrect.
It's set to 160hz on the sub and 80 on the wiim, perhaps they should match?

It looks from my cusory glance at your images that the crossover is incorrect.
It's set to 160hz on the sub and 80 on the wiim, perhaps they should match?
I think you're talking about my image, which is not wrong. Since SW is connected to the LFE input, LPF should be set to the maximum value. The 80hz crossover set in the WiiM app is applied here.🙂

Maybe play a little bit with the crossover?
Has it something to do with DSP?
Maybe rel subs operate in a different way ..
I don't know just trying to help.
Did you try another RCA cable.?
Does rel have an app?
Try resetting all..and only do the set up with the wiim amp.
Try turning the sub on and off in the app..see if this helps.
Force close the app..try again if this helps.

SW = Volume:35% / LPF:160(LFE) / input: LFE

View attachment 5581

WiiM app
SW Settings: Volume: 0dB / Cross: 80hz
View attachment 5582

Main Volume: 25%
View attachment 5583

I played Amazon music's "20Hz-20kHz Sweep" with this setting and measured it with a microphone.

View attachment 5584

There is no problem with the output of SW.

I think it's unlikely that you're doing something wrong, but you might find something if you check all the cable connections, SW settings, etc. again.
Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed information with me.
These settings are very close to the ones I have. On these settings, the REL plays with the Pioneer with no problem, while the Wiim Amp does not want to.
I intend to replace this Wiim Amp with another one.

At my dealer i did demo a T-Zero (amongst others) and it worked fine with the WiiM Amp we could control as expected via the App level and Crossover. You didn’t mention how its connected understand there are two RCA inputs a Low Level and .1 LFE (plus high level) with gain controls which one are you using ? Have you tried both? Given your WiiM Amp works with the Polk, Just a thought does the NC50 Sub Output full Range and there is something quirky with the T-Zero when only with Low Pass?? There is some interaction between the High/Low inputs /Level controls it seems. Could you take the Amp to your dealer and try there. Best of luck
It is not enough for me to replace my Wiim Amp if you mention that you played the T-Zero with the Wiim Amp and it worked. Thanks for the info

traditionally for music, we invite rel users to use connect to loudspeakers mode... perhaps just go back to this approach and the more classic internal adjustment modes of the rel and see if it doesn't just match that way...
My REL T-Zero MK III has High Level input and also doesn't work with Wiim. I connected both ways.

Maybe play a little bit with the crossover?
Has it something to do with DSP?
Maybe rel subs operate in a different way ..
I don't know just trying to help.
Did you try another RCA cable.?
Does rel have an app?
Try resetting all..and only do the set up with the wiim amp.
Try turning the sub on and off in the app..see if this helps.
Force close the app..try again if this helps.
Thank you for your interest. The cable cannot be the reason, because the same REL on this cable, plays on my Pioneer-NC50 without any problem.

Thank you all for your interest in my problem. First of all, I wanted to know if anyone else may have had a similar problem. As you can see, other users have no problem with the subwoofer playing properly with the Wiim Amp.
Therefore, I have decided that I will return my copy.

Back