Wiim Amp-poor sound from subwoofer via RCA

More strangely, according to the REL manual, when connecting the high level input to class "D" amplifiers, the black wire should not be connected. In my case, the subwoofer then produces a continuous, deafening rumbling sound. Only when I connect the black wire to the minus, the rumbling stops, but the bass is weak. Compared to the same settings (level, crossover), the bass on RCA is at least 5 times more noticeable.
I think that REL is not differentiating here between class D and TBL class D. In any case I don't see how not connecting the black wire at all should ever result in a well defined behavior.

I'm at loss what's going on here.

I think that REL is not differentiating here between class D and TBL class D. In any case I don't see how not connecting the black wire at all should ever result in a well defined behavior.

I'm at loss what's going on here.

I replied earlier in this thread that IMHO the REL has a quirky defect, given that you have replaced the WiiM and same behavior and also that the REL does not behave as expected / instructed with the high-level input this would be another pointer to exchange the REL. Is there anyway you can test at a dealer? Best of luck

I replied earlier in this thread that IMHO the REL has a quirky defect, given that you have replaced the WiiM and same behavior and also that the REL does not behave as expected / instructed with the high-level input this would be another pointer to exchange the REL. Is there anyway you can test at a dealer? Best of luck
I drove my subwoofer and it was connected with the same cables - RCA and Speakon (HiLevel). The sub was pumping out bass like it was supposed to. The only difference was that in the audio store it was hooked up to Class A amplifiers.

Thanks for the suggestion, I connected using this method:
- noticeably the diaphragm deflects much less when playing than after RCA on the Pioneer, which is reflected in the amount of bass
- in addition, when changing the song there is a deafening thump on the subwoofer diaphragm, which then deflects very strongly

I drove my subwoofer and it was connected with the same cables - RCA and Speakon (HiLevel). The sub was pumping out bass like it was supposed to. The only difference was that in the audio store it was hooked up to Class A amplifiers.
You did switch off subwoofer setting in your WiiM when connecting the speaker outputs to your sub's high-level inputs, didn't you?

If you keep the subwoofer setting enabled there will be hardly any bass.

You did switch off subwoofer setting in your WiiM when connecting the speaker outputs to your sub's high-level inputs, didn't you?

If you keep the subwoofer setting enabled there will be hardly any bass.
thank you for asking, but yes, I disabled the sub in the Wiim Amp app

If it helps, I did test the Rel T-Zero, Rel T5 and KC62 at a dealer with the WiiM Amp no issues, all just using the RCA Sub out. Can you take your WiimAmp to the Store ?

If it helps, I did test the Rel T-Zero, Rel T5 and KC62 at a dealer with the WiiM Amp no issues, all just using the RCA Sub out. Can you take your WiimAmp to the Store ?
Thank you for this opinion on testing subwoofers with wiim amp, it is very helpful.

Can you write how you had the level and crossover set on the subwoofer, and how you had these parameters set on the Wiim Amp Home app?

Thank you for this opinion on testing subwoofers with wiim amp, it is very helpful.

Can you write how you had the level and crossover set on the subwoofer, and how you had these parameters set on the Wiim Amp Home app?
Welcome - the dealer set the gain on the different subwoofers but it was around 50% for them, and crossover on the sub was set to max, we controlled the Crossover freq and gain via the app, mostly around 80hz, if i recall correctly the KC62 was a bit lower. The nice thing, it was so easy to A/B the subwoofer with the mains by turning Sub on/off on the App for immediate impact without crawling around.. So i can confirm the T-Zero was fine, for reference we were using the Kef LS50 Metas as those are my mine.

I dont know what's happening because my subwoofer gives low frequencies when that is needed.
Depends on what kind of music you're playing I think..
My Sub works very good with the amp.

I listened today ( again) to an album of Nynke Laverman..when low frequencies are needed in that album i can hear them ..
I mean you dont want a subwoofer who is randomly gives you bass were you dont want it.
You feel,hear the low frequency but it's only there when it supposed to.
You want the sub to be an integration no seperation ..randomly pumping base unit.

Last edited:
Welcome - the dealer set the gain on the different subwoofers but it was around 50% for them, and crossover on the sub was set to max, we controlled the Crossover freq and gain via the app, mostly around 80hz, if i recall correctly the KC62 was a bit lower. The nice thing, it was so easy to A/B the subwoofer with the mains by turning Sub on/off on the App for immediate impact without crawling around.. So i can confirm the T-Zero was fine, for reference we were using the Kef LS50 Metas as those are my mine.
I don't quite know what worked, but the right amount finally appeared, with the RCA connection. But one by one.

First, Wiim pulled another update, version:5.0.609856

Second, the assumption was that the subwoofer control would be taken over by the Wiim app.

Third, based on the parameters you provided, I set the crossover on the subwoofer to max and the level almost to max (with your Level parameter at 50%, the bass has not yet appeared in me). In addition, on the Wiim Amp Home crossover at 80Hz and Level at +5dB. Well, and the bass appeared, in such a quantity that after a few songs I already had to go down from those 5 dB down.

However, the High Level input still doesn't work, but I can live with that now.

Thanks to all users for their interest in this thread and helping me.

I dont know what's happening because my subwoofer gives low frequencies when that is needed.
Depends on what kind of music you're playing I think..
My Sub works very good with the amp.

I listened today ( again) to an album of Nynke Laverman..when low frequencies are needed in that album i can hear them ..
I mean you dont want a subwoofer who is randomly gives you bass were you dont want it.
You feel,hear the low frequency but it's only there when it supposed to.
You want the sub to be an integration no seperation ..randomly pumping base unit.
You are right in principle, but in my case the problem was not the quality of the bass, but its quantity. Especially since I could compare on the same speakers, on the same subwoofer, on the same cables and on the same track. On one amplifier the bass was there (Pioneer) and on the Wiim Amp it was not.
On the other hand, as you can see above, after an update and manipulation of the settings on the subwoofer and the Wiim app, the bass finally appeared.
Thank you for your interest in the topic, and by the way, I would love to listen to Nynke Laverman's album.

Don't worry, regardless of what REL marketing might say, sub integration done the WiiM way is far superior and allows much better integration between mains and sub. Upcoming room correction has the potential to lift this advantage even further.

Glad you could work it out, relatively easy in the end. You should be using the .1 / LFE input and its associated level knob with the WiiM Amp (not the high low level input on the left side). If you do so, the crossover knob should have no effect at all, regardless if it is set to 30 Hz, 120 Hz or anything in between.

As long as you don't hear any humming or hissing from the sub there's nothing wrong with turning the level up, just as you did.

Last edited:
You are right in principle, but in my case the problem was not the quality of the bass, but its quantity. Especially since I could compare on the same speakers, on the same subwoofer, on the same cables and on the same track. On one amplifier the bass was there (Pioneer) and on the Wiim Amp it was not.
On the other hand, as you can see above, after an update and manipulation of the settings on the subwoofer and the Wiim app, the bass finally appeared.
Thank you for your interest in the topic, and by the way, I would love to listen to Nynke Laverman's album.
Glad it finally did 😊👍
Nynke is great..
Nomade an excellent album. But for me there all very good .
Her new album: Plant ...😊😊👍
If you have the time please listen..with the sub it all is even more impressive.

I don't quite know what worked, but the right amount finally appeared, with the RCA connection. But one by one.

First, Wiim pulled another update, version:5.0.609856

Second, the assumption was that the subwoofer control would be taken over by the Wiim app.

Third, based on the parameters you provided, I set the crossover on the subwoofer to max and the level almost to max (with your Level parameter at 50%, the bass has not yet appeared in me). In addition, on the Wiim Amp Home crossover at 80Hz and Level at +5dB. Well, and the bass appeared, in such a quantity that after a few songs I already had to go down from those 5 dB down.

Thanks to all users for their interest in this thread and helping me.
Glad to be of help and that you finally got it working - awesome, you can relax and enjoy. When i was doing my demo’ing, My concern which i couldn’t get my head around was using the REL high-level approach (assuming it works with WiiM Class D) you lose all the benefits of the WiiM Bass Management unless you like crawling around tweaking dials :)

Back