WiiM Amp - Flat sound profile changed with latest firmware

wiimsupporter

I've noticed a distinct change to the sound profile of my WiiM Amp since the latest firmware. I have always used the Flat profile, and the sound now has less clarity and more bass. Speakers are PMC Prodigy 1 with Chord Clearway cabling - nothing changed on that front, and I use the same playlist each day (very boring, but gets me through the day!). Anyone else experienced the same?

I've noticed a distinct change to the sound profile of my WiiM Amp since the latest firmware. I have always used the Flat profile, and the sound now has less clarity and more bass. Speakers are PMC Prodigy 1 with Chord Clearway cabling - nothing changed on that front, and I use the same playlist each day (very boring, but gets me through the day!). Anyone else experienced the same?
Have you checked the settings to make sure the firmware update hasn’t inadvertently turned off EQ?

Maybe bug report it via the settings/ feedback section in the WiiM home app to see if WiiM can identify anything in your device logs that might be causing it - maybe the new per source EQ feature I’d hazard.

Maybe a silly question, but why enable EQ and then use the flat setting?
What happens if you disable eq?
I (possibly incorrectly) think I recall someone mentioning once that eq off vs eq on and flat, which you'd think would be the same, sounded different.

Edit: if I did indeed remember correctly then it was from quite a while ago, before the Amp.
If it was an issue at all it was probably fixed a while ago.
But maybe it's come back!

Last edited:
That was the first thing I tried. It's not that I'm specifically noting a problem only with the Flat setting, it's just that it's the one I've always used with my PMCs, so it's the only accurate reference point I have to distinguish a definite change.

Maybe a silly question, but why enable EQ and then use the flat setting?
What happens if you disable eq?
I (possibly incorrectly) think I recall someone mentioning once that eq off vs eq on and flat, which you'd think would be the same, sounded different.

Edit: if I did indeed remember correctly then it was from quite a while ago, before the Amp.
If it was an issue at all it was probably fixed a while ago.
But maybe it's come back!
The difference between EQ off and Flat was explained by WiiM many moons ago - EQ on and the Flat setting the signal has gone thru some algorithm/mathematical process, while with EQ off it hasn’t. Guess that’s part of the reason for needing to have EQ off ( and other settings) to maintain a bit perfect stream.

The difference between EQ off and Flat was explained by WiiM many moons ago - EQ on and the Flat setting the signal has gone thru some algorithm/mathematical process, while with EQ off it hasn’t. Guess that’s part of the reason for needing to have EQ off ( and other settings) to maintain a bit perfect stream.

But when the Pro Plus was tested with EQ on and off (though flat when in) it made no difference to the sound.

I was just referring to what WiiM say in their FAQ: "Flat EQ doesn't tune any frequency band but there's mathe calculation that may introduce quantization error so you can't achieve the bit-perfect output."

Back