HDMI functionality with firmware 5.0.604458

ccs-digital

We have a Samsung TV connected to WiiM AMP via HDMI ARC and also to a (SONOS) home cinema audio system via an optical connection. The home cinema is the default audio output source (to take advantage of surround sound and Dolby Digital) but we occasionally use the AMP audio for predominantly music based TV content.

Until the latest AMP firmware, and with all auto sensing turned off in the Home app, switching on the TV or changing the volume with the TV remote only affected the home cinema audio system and the AMP remained in standby (as desired). However with the latest firmware, the AMP switches on in HDMI mode every time the TV is switched on or the volume is changed - even when using only the home cinema audio.

As the TV audio is set to bitstream digital output for the home cinema audio (which the AMP doesn't support of course) this results in a crackling noise being emitted from the AMP speakers until either the Home app or WiiM remote is used to turn if off again.

I think this has been caused by the changes made in the latest AMP firmware to 'improve' HDMI CEC features. Surely if auto-sensing of HDMI is switched off this should stop the AMP waking and switching to HDMI in response to inputs to other HDMI devices in the system? Perhaps there needs to be an extended option to disable HDMI CEC on the AMP?

I have raised this issue via a ticket with WiiM support.

We have a Samsung TV connected to WiiM AMP via HDMI ARC and also to a (SONOS) home cinema audio system via an optical connection. The home cinema is the default audio output source (to take advantage of surround sound and Dolby Digital) but we occasionally use the AMP audio for predominantly music based TV content.

Until the latest AMP firmware, and with all auto sensing turned off in the Home app, switching on the TV or changing the volume with the TV remote only affected the home cinema audio system and the AMP remained in standby (as desired). However with the latest firmware, the AMP switches on in HDMI mode every time the TV is switched on or the volume is changed - even when using only the home cinema audio.

As the TV audio is set to bitstream digital output for the home cinema audio (which the AMP doesn't support of course) this results in a crackling noise being emitted from the AMP speakers until either the Home app or WiiM remote is used to turn if off again.

I think this has been caused by the changes made in the latest AMP firmware to 'improve' HDMI CEC features. Surely if auto-sensing of HDMI is switched off this should stop the AMP waking and switching to HDMI in response to inputs to other HDMI devices in the system? Perhaps there needs to be an extended option to disable HDMI CEC on the AMP?

100% agreed that HDMI auto sense and HDMI CEC should be separate options. HDMI ARC and CEC are very fiddly technologies and may need user customization for best compatibility.

Have you checked the HDMI settings on the TV?

Have you checked the HDMI settings on the TV?
Yes, the TV is set to HDMI CEC on (Anynet+ in Samsung speak) to control an Nvidia Shield and Panasonic Bluray player - it is no more configurable than that.

Yes, the TV is set to HDMI CEC on (Anynet+ in Samsung speak) to control an Nvidia Shield and Panasonic Bluray player - it is no more configurable than that.
FWIW I use an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) with my LG C9 TV and WiiM Amp without any major issues, so if you have HDMI CEC enabled, it's your TV and WiiM Amp not playing together nicely. Do you have any other devices connected to the TV HDMI besides the Nvidia Shield and WiiM Amp? I know sometimes having multiple CEC devices connected to HDMI can cause issues hence "HDMI CEC Blocker" products disabling CEC pin 13 exist on Amazon.

FWIW I use an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) with my LG C9 TV and WiiM Amp without any major issues, so if you have HDMI CEC enabled, it's your TV and WiiM Amp not playing together nicely. Do you have any other devices connected to the TV HDMI besides the Nvidia Shield and WiiM Amp? I know sometimes having multiple CEC devices connected to HDMI can cause issues hence "HDMI CEC Blocker" products disabling CEC pin 13 exist on Amazon.
TV, Shield, Panasonic Bluray and AMP were all playing nicely together, my point is that the problem has only developed since the latest AMP firmware with the CEC 'fix'. I would contend that switching off auto sensing for HDMI should do exactly that.

I have had a very quick and helpful reply to my ticket from WiiM indicating that they are considering implementing the facility to explicitly disable CEC in a future update. In the meantime I have simply disconnected the HDMI cable from the AMP.

Agree. If there is only one toggle on the Amp, it should impact both HDMI auto-sensing and CEC power-on. Even nicer would be to have granular selection of auto-sensing for each input, and CEC power-on separate. Most input devices I've seen can be configured for CEC power-on.

I think I have the same, or similar issue. I have a Samsung TV and whenever I turn it on it switches to HDMI/Wiim Amp - I want it to default to the TV speakers. I don’t seem to be able to change any settings to emit this behaviour.

I only want to use the amp when I change the setting manually from TV speakers to HDMI.

I think I have the same, or similar issue. I have a Samsung TV and whenever I turn it on it switches to HDMI/Wiim Amp - I want it to default to the TV speakers. I don’t seem to be able to change any settings to emit this behaviour.

I only want to use the amp when I change the setting manually from TV speakers to HDMI.
Does that happen when auto sensing is disabled?

Out of interest: Why do you prefer having the TV speakers as default?

Does that happen when auto sensing is disabled?

Out of interest: Why do you prefer having the TV speakers as default?
Yes, auto sensing is disabled.

For watching TV the amp/speakers are too much for frequent usage. I live in a small flat surrounded by neighbours, they wouldn't appreciate it late night while watching TV :)

I live in a small flat surrounded by neighbours, they wouldn't appreciate it late night while watching TV
That is a good use case for bluetooth headphones. I can recommend the 1More Sonoflow, cheap and good sound (especially with app-based EQ).

Back