Rca or coaxial

Dear alpha-zulu,

I just recommended to give it a try.
That does not mean, that there will be an audible impact.

And well, it is not necessary to emphasize that
- room acoustics
- loudspeakers and proper loudspeaker positioning
is of utmost importance.
Then comes the source (LP, CD, SACD, etc.), the amplificaton, cables, etc.

And quality power supplies are definitely no voodoo - just take a look what sort of HF-garbage cheap switching-mode power supplies can produce. And then compare to a solid analogue linear power supply!

Finally: Why do you think WIIM offers a simple WIIM Pro, the better WIIM Pro Plus and in future the WIIM Ultra?
Right, I bought a linear power supply for my Pro. I think it made a difference. The voltage was oscillating a bit so I changed the power cable and the voltage as rock solid at 5.11 volts.

Finally: Why do you think WIIM offers a simple WIIM Pro, the better WIIM Pro Plus and in future the WIIM Ultra?
The knowledge that hi-fi enthusiasts are always on the lookout for improvements. And that it's easier to invest a few (or more) bucks in technology than in more promising measures. Improvements to the room acoustics in a living room are simply much more complicated ... normally almost impossible to realise.

Unnecessary to discuss this with me:
My listening rooms are excellent.

No one should seek better speakers, amplifiers or CD/SACD-players, if room acoustics or loudspeaker positioning is not perfect.
It is as simple as that.

I just bought a Sony SRT-AN1000 to use with my Wiim Pro. I hooked up the RCAs as well as the optical when setting everything up. I have switched back and forth on several styles of music and I notice no difference between the two. So, I am going to keep using the Wiim DAC and RCA output.
If you cannot tell the difference anyway, I would personally prefer the digital output, just because the digital connection should be less prone to (maybe even just intermittent) RF interference than the unbalanced analog connection.

If you cannot tell the difference anyway, I would personally prefer the digital output, just because the digital connection should be less prone to (maybe even just intermittent) RF interference than the unbalanced analog connection.
That sounds like a reasonable and pragmatic recommendation.

I take it back for my case . After setting the voltage level to 0.8 and volume 95% and correct sensitivity setting on my amp, line out of Wiim Pro plus outperforms the internal dac of my amp.

I've found that the 2vrms isn't sensitive enough for me as well. 1vrms seems nice in "line out" mode. Interestingly my amp runs cooler in this mode also

DACs are DACs. It's no longer a tech problem but more of a spec problem. ;)

Ear cleaning products have higher ROI.

I've found that the 2vrms isn't sensitive enough for me as well. 1vrms seems nice in "line out" mode. Interestingly my amp runs cooler in this mode also

I had the option from my amp’s menu and according to the manual of setting high sensitivity for 0.75 vrms input or medium sensitivity for around 1.5vrms or low for around 3vrms . It seems that Wiim pro plus has ample headroom and very low distortion for 1vrms and lower so I have selected this combination, that is 0,95volume x 0,79vrms =0.75vrms from the Wiim and high sensitivity for the analogue input of my amp. With the stock cable ( I am waiting for chord c line interconnect ) it has more detail more balanced sound and great bass - better than my internal dac, better without trying ! A liquid flow of music in general . With the chord it would be clearer for sure . I am using an ipower x connected to a filter socket on an Audioquest powerstrip.

I bought the analogue cables now because after almost 3 months of having the Wiim ( pcb v3) have been now convinced by the superiority of this product… Wiim Pro Plus rules!

For network switch I have settled on netgear gs108e v3 , qed and supra Ethernet cables with ifi Ian silencer in Wiim’s Ethernet port .

Last edited:
But surely the DAC chip doesn't exist in isolation? One supplier could implement it and associated circuitry well and another badly
That's my point. Basing SQ on just the DAC chip like AKM, ESS, Wolfson, Cirrus etc is not enough. However the conversational threads seem to revolve around this one tiny silicon alone. <sigh>

Honestly the free cables that come with the WiiM kit are fine. They sound clean, are a reasonable length and look tidy.

I also appreciate the free HDMI cable that came with my wiim amp.

Honestly the free cables that come with the WiiM kit are fine. They sound clean, are a reasonable length and look tidy.

I also appreciate the free HDMI cable that came with my wiim amp.
Well, I have to disagree!
The rca cables that came with my pro sounded pretty awful, used as analog interconnects between my dac and amp. (Pro 3 below.)
Bland, dull, lacking engagement.

Well, I have to disagree!
The rca cables that came with my pro sounded pretty awful, used as analog interconnects between my dac and amp. (Pro 3 below.)
Bland, dull, lacking engagement.
I was using the cables that came with the pro plus, and the wiim amp, which look the same, but of course might not be.

Given you have speakers that cost nearly $3000 and the best speakers I own are in the $1500 range, and the cheapest closer to $600, that you are picking up something I can't

Back