Wiim Pro Plus Line Out

Gordy666

Hello Guys,
A question if I may…
Please excuse my ignorance, I’ve connected my Wiim Pro Plus to an older Linn Kairn pre Amplifier with RCA cables on the line out.
The preamplifier doesn’t have SPDIF or Coax inputs.
Question is, will I achieve Hi Res using the line out with RCA cables?
Many thanks in advance
Gordy

The Pro Plus has a pretty decent AKM DAC so the line out should be quite good, maybe not what some consider super high end audiophile but many would be quite happy with it.

Hello Guys,
A question if I may…
Please excuse my ignorance, I’ve connected my Wiim Pro Plus to an older Linn Kairn pre Amplifier with RCA cables on the line out.
The preamplifier doesn’t have SPDIF or Coax inputs.
Many thanks in advance
Gordy
If you are streaming files up to 192khz then effectively yes, as the wiim is converting those to analog internally..
Once it's analog the concept of hi res no longer applies.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to reply. I do have another preamplifier I’m using on my main system with SPDIF input, I’ll swap it out and make a comparison.

The Pro Plus has a pretty decent AKM DAC so the line out should be quite good, maybe not what some consider super high end audiophile but many would be quite happy with it.
In fact, it actually measures better than many, many high end DACs & streamers. ;)
Thank you both very much for taking the time to reply. I do have another preamplifier I’m using on my main system with SPDIF input, I’ll swap it out and make a comparison.
Honestly you shouldn't, there's a pretty high chance that the integrated DAC inside this preamp is worse than the one in the Pro Plus. Also, if you intend to use only SPDIF outputs, then there is no point for the Pro Plus instead of the Pro.
Once you're in the analog domain, "HiRes" doesn't mean much honestly. Yes, you will get a cleaner signal than from some regular 16/44 file. Still, keep in mind that no DAC on Earth is really able to deliver 24bits textbook perfect. None. That would require a 144dB Dynamic Range, 140+dB SINAD/THD+N capable analog output, which does not exist to date. Even an Audio Precision is actually unable to measure this.

In fact, it actually measures better than many, many high end DACs & streamers
I am going to enjoy testing the AKM against the DAC in my ML Vision X sound bar(dang fine by the way) to the Topping E70 Velvet I hope to receive today.
Measurements are very important but the final aspect is still implementation and actually how something sounds and how each of us prefers a certain sound signature. Some great DACs are rather analytical and can be rather fatiguing over a period of time, some are very laid back and relaxing but might no be that entertaining to certain preferences. I prefer a bit of both at different times depending on my mood.

One can "tune" the sound a bit with cables as well and good cables do make a considerable difference. I am of the DIY camp, back in my car audio comp days I turned down a $5k in interconnect and power distribution sponsorship because I thought their stuff was way over priced and just not something I wanted to promote. I DIY all my cabling for around $300 with quality connectors, etc on a $20k system and was totally satisfied. I still use the same type of cheap to build interconnects 25 years but only in home audio as found no reason to change and I am no longer into car audio as do not spend much time in vehicles now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back