Audio out rca o optical?

Pablihifi

hello! I have taken one more step in my hifi equipment. I have changed the amplifier to a Denon 900.

The thing is that before it transmitted the audio through RCA (the amplifier had a bad DAC), but with this new amplifier I don't know whether to continue with RCA or output the audio through optical. What is your opinion?

Only you can decide that - the rest of your kit, speakers, room acoustics, preferences, ears and brain are different to everyone else’s. Try both and decide yourself which suits you better.

I answer myself. If I put optical output it limits the quality. If it comes out on RCA, it is broadcast on Hifi

Best Rca

I do not mean to pry, but will never understand. The job to change cables is done in two minutes. What happens when you get the answer optical and you noticed you like RCA more? Will you rely on the answer you got and decide against your own impression? Or do you ask for confirmation from "experts" for what you already decided yourself?

I do not mean to pry, but will never understand. The job to change cables is done in two minutes. What happens when you get the answer optical and you noticed you like RCA more? Will you rely on the answer you got and decide against your own impression? Or do you ask for confirmation from "experts" for what you already decided yourself?
I don’t think it’s uncommon for those less experienced than many in the forum to ask questions like this. They’ll probably have done a little googling, asked a friend or otherwise heard stories about this type of cable or connection being better than that other type of cable/ connection etc. Asking here is just another source of info they might want to consider before deciding.

However, I often suggest as I did above - basically listen and decide for themselves, and by and large ignore the so-called experts. On the other hand if they do want to take the majority advice of strangers on the internet because that makes them feel part of a crowd that appear to know what they’re talking about, then that’s their choice too even if it goes against what their ears are telling them.

While we may disagree, I don’t think it’s our place to question their preference.

I answer myself. If I put optical output it limits the quality. If it comes out on RCA, it is broadcast on Hifi

Best Rca
What is quality reduced to on optical? Your 900 has a 24/196 capable DAC so I would have thought the optical input would match that specification.

As you will know, you can’t switch WiiM outputs while playing, the music stops and you have the re-select from the browser; at least that’s how it works from my iPad or phone. However, I can easily switch from CD to either RCA line in or optical line in (my amp also has a DAC) so it’s fairly easy to cue up and sync a CD and FLAC tune and switch to and fro to compare. Provided the source material is the same I.e. not a remastered version, I really can’t tell much difference between CD vs WiiM RCA and CD vs WiiM optical and I currently have no preference. I’m unimpressed by some of the Qobuz hi-res offerings vs CD - some of them sound very thin, narrower soundstage, less bass and generally less warm. Probably a subject for another thread!

The forums are for talking and debating. Even if you have your own opinion, it is always good to hear that of others. But thanks anyway

Far away from questioning any preferences. Only questioned the question.
Sorry if you can stop I would appreciate it, your comments are making me feel bad. Not all of us are experts and we like to ask questions we have. thank you

What is quality reduced to on optical? Your 900 has a 24/196 capable DAC so I would have thought the optical input would match that specification.

As you will know, you can’t switch WiiM outputs while playing, the music stops and you have the re-select from the browser; at least that’s how it works from my iPad or phone. However, I can easily switch from CD to either RCA line in or optical line in (my amp also has a DAC) so it’s fairly easy to cue up and sync a CD and FLAC tune and switch to and fro to compare. Provided the source material is the same I.e. not a remastered version, I really can’t tell much difference between CD vs WiiM RCA and CD vs WiiM optical and I currently have no preference. I’m unimpressed by some of the Qobuz hi-res offerings vs CD - some of them sound very thin, narrower soundstage, less bass and generally less warm. Probably a subject for another thread!
From the wiim Home application, looking at the quality of the audio played. If I took it out optically it marked CD quality (I don't remember how many lights). If it came out via rca it went up to HiRes

Attachments

• IMG_5492.png
    IMG_5492.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: SWM
From the wiim Home application, looking at the quality of the audio played. If I took it out optically it marked CD quality (I don't remember how many lights). If it came out via rca it went up to HiRes
Under your device settings in the WiiM Home app, under audio settings/spdif output resolution have to set it to anything higher than 16/44.1? Try setting it at the highest resolution your amp/DAC supports on its spdif inputs.

Sorry if you can stop I would appreciate it, your comments are making me feel bad. Not all of us are experts and we like to ask questions we have. thank you
Sorry. It was 100 % not my intention to make you feel bad. Only the sense of your question was not clear for me. Far away from being an expert it was only my curiosity. And sorry again!

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the wiim shows the details of the received file data, not what it's outputting.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the wiim shows the details of the received file data, not what it's outputting.
Pretty sure it's the other way around. E.g. if I select a 24/192 FLAC and use the optical output then the resolution is downgraded to 24/96 as that's the maximum capability of my amp DAC. In that case, 24/96 is displayed under the song title while streaming even though the FLAC file is 24/192.

Pretty sure it's the other way around. E.g. if I select a 24/192 FLAC and use the optical output then the resolution is downgraded to 24/96 as that's the maximum capability of my amp DAC. In that case, 24/96 is displayed under the song title while streaming even though the FLAC file is 24/192.
If the FLAC is from a streaming service, a lower resolution one will be sent to the WiiM and in that case the WiiM doesn't need to downsample

Reactions: SWM
Back