Connecting between active speakers and a DAC

okko

Which would be better setup for ease of use? The DAC I have is Pro-Ject Box S2 Digital. It has USB in, optical in and analog line out. The speakers are active speakers with RCA line in.
  1. Computer --USB--> DAC --RCA--> WiiM Pro (Plus) --RCA--> Speakers OR
  2. Computer --USB--> DAC --RCA--> Speakers AND WiiM Pro (Plus) --Optical--> DAC
Would option 1 re-encode the DAC's analog out to digital, or would it just pass through the analog signal? Would I have to select the Line In source in WiiM every time I want to hear the computer's sound, or would WiiM default to it when no network audio is playing?

Which would be better setup for ease of use? The DAC I have is Pro-Ject Box S2 Digital. It has USB in, optical in and analog line out. The speakers are active speakers with RCA line in.
  1. Computer --USB--> DAC --RCA--> WiiM Pro (Plus) --RCA--> Speakers OR
  2. Computer --USB--> DAC --RCA--> Speakers AND WiiM Pro (Plus) --Optical--> DAC
Would option 1 re-encode the DAC's analog out to digital, or would it just pass through the analog signal? Would I have to select the Line In source in WiiM every time I want to hear the computer's sound, or would WiiM default to it when no network audio is playing?
Sorry, I'm very confused...

Why do you want to put a wiim between the S2 and the speakers?
Also, do the active speakers convert analog input to digital, then back to analog? Many do.

What is the 2nd dac at the end of item 2?

To answer this directly, I'm pretty sure (99%) that the wiim analog input would be converted to digital, then back to analog for rca out (in case any EQ etc. was applied).
The wiim can be set to auto sense line in, but I think only when idle. i.e. I think you may need need to set standby to never for auto sensing to work.
tbh, I've not tried this!

Sorry, I'm very confused...

Why do you want to put a wiim between the S2 and the speakers?
Also, do the active speakers convert analog input to digital, then back to analog? Many do.

What is the 2nd dac at the end of item 2?

I'd like to put a WiiM somewhere in the chain to have hassle-free streaming and Airplay support when my laptop is not on or not on the desk. Actually, the laptop is connected to an external display and the DAC is connected to the external display's USB port, so another reason is to be able to listen to music without the display on.

The 2nd DAC at the end of the option 2 is the same DAC, so in that alternative I would have both the computer and the Wiim connected to the Pro-Ject Box S2 Digital, and would then select either source in the S2.

I'd like to put a WiiM somewhere in the chain to have hassle-free streaming and Airplay support when my laptop is not on or not on the desk. Actually, the laptop is connected to an external display and the DAC is connected to the external display's USB port, so another reason is to be able to listen to music without the display on.

The 2nd DAC at the end of the option 2 is the same DAC, so in that alternative I would have both the computer and the Wiim connected to the Pro-Ject Box S2 Digital, and would then select either source in the S2.

So, I think I now understand option 2, being both these:

Computer --> USB--> S2 DAC --> RCA--> Speakers
Wiim --> Optical --> S2 DAC --> RCA--> Speakers
and you switch the S2 input to listen to either the computer or the wiim.

This one makes more sense to me, as you only *need* either the laptop or wiim on, and are not doing another ADC/DAC conversion in the wiim.

I'd still wonder about the active speaker analog input and whether it's doing ADC and DAC on the input, in which case the benefit of using the S2, apart from switching sources, is dubious.

btw, doesn't the S2 also have coax input? You could connect the wiim to the S2 that way instead, but as the wiim comes with an optical cable, maybe that's easier.

So, I think I now understand option 2, being both these:

Computer --> USB--> S2 DAC --> RCA--> Speakers
Wiim --> Optical --> S2 DAC --> RCA--> Speakers
and you switch the S2 input to listen to either the computer or the wiim.

This one makes more sense to me, as you only *need* either the laptop or wiim on, and are not doing another ADC/DAC conversion in the wiim.

I'd still wonder about the active speaker analog input and whether it's doing ADC and DAC on the input, in which case the benefit of using the S2, apart from switching sources, is dubious.
Yes, you understood what I was trying to say with the option 2, thanks!

So with option 1 I would get the benefit of trustworthy wake-up alarms (can't screw it up with incorrect source selection on S2), but as a trade-off the laptop would get DA (S2) -> AD (WiiM) -> DA (WiiM) conversion on the sound path.
And with option 2 the sound path is optimal but I have to (remember to) pick the source with S2.

I agree with you that the option 2 probably makes more sense.

The active speakers are Genelecs with only analog inputs, they don't do AD/DA conversion.

Thanks for super fast responses with knowledge, I really appreciate it!

btw, doesn't the S2 also have coax input? You could connect the wiim to the S2 that way instead, but as the wiim comes with an optical cable, maybe that's easier.
Yes, it does. I have spare optical cables, so probably connecting with them is easier for me.

Back