Is it possible to stream analogue line in to a computer and record it?

gert

I have a Wiim Pro Plus incoming. I’ts main usage beside streaming will be to send audio from a TV (via optical in) and turntable (after phono pre amp via line in) to some old active speakers via line out with volume control.

I do also have some old records I would like to digitize. I have been considering using the Wiims pretty decent ADC to record the vinyl via the optical output on the Wiim. However, I would need to buy a usb soundcard with spdif input for my computer to record the digital stream this way. As the wiim app can stream the line in signal to other Wiims, I thought perhaps it would be easier to simply grab this network stream on my computer instead of going the optical hardware based route.

This raises the following questions:

• Is it possible to record streams from the Wiim this way? I don’t care if it’s a bit technically fiddly, digitizing records is manual labour with splitting and tagging songs anyway. I won’t do it often.
  • If possible, what’s the maximum quality of the stream? Is it possible to get a better quality usin something other than a Wiim multi room stream, t.ex. LMS or other solutions the Wiim supports?

Last edited:
TBH I don't think the WiiM lends itself to this at all well and given that a Behringer UCA202 is only about £25 you would be best off going for spearate hardware.
The Behringer is quite a capable 16/48 ADC but if you wanted something better then its big brother the Uphoria Umc204hd is capable of 24/192 (on Windows) - this is what I now use but for many years I used the UCA202 with great success.
VinylStudio from AlpineSoft is highly recommended as the best software tool.
NB. The UMC204HD will require some special XLR to RCA cables.

Thoroughly agree with the use of VinylStudio (probably the Pro version) and the Behringer - I used that route for a while before I used SongCast software with my Linn MDSM/4 which allowed my PC to capture the stream straight to my PC. Shame SongCast is restricted to Linn streamers as it's a nice and tidy way of doing it without cables.

TBH I don't think the WiiM lends itself to this at all well and given that a Behringer UCA202 is only about £25 you would be best off going for spearate hardware.
That was certainly a lot less than I would have imagined! Thanks for the tip, also for the tip about the software. Although I'm not a huge fan of windows and was planning to use something simple like Audacity under linux, it's nice to know there are options that helps with some of the mundane steps. Rebooting to Windows for something done so seldom is not that big of a deal.

I'll certainly consider going the additional hardware route. But if anoyone has any tips on how to get the audio data saved digitally from the Wiim Pro Plus, I'm still all ears. It's always a little fun to do more with a product than it's maker intended. Especially if the quality could be better than the UCA202, even if not as good as the UMC204HD.

Back