Honest question - Does Wiim Amp have bass

Bcherryholmes

Morning everyone.

Hopefully this is straight forward question. Does the Wiim Amp produce a decent amount of bass with the good speakers?

I have a little woodshop and I have been using a 14+ year old Sony Xplod boombox all this time. This thing only has 20 watts of output total but I think the bass has a little more "kick" than the Wiim Amp. For this new Wiim setup, I researched and purchased Polk XT20 monitor speakers (specs). Everything is mounted on wood against wood walls which should help a tad. This Wiim Amp sounds beautiful in comparison, but just seems to be lacking "punch" at the bottom end after EQ adjustments. I really don't want a subwoofer since space is a premium.

So what does this fine community think? Am I asking too much for this small Class D amp?

Thanks everyone and God Bless!
Bill C. - NM

Current "music system"
1707320935564.png

Shop placement
1707321109737.png

Attachments

• 1707320490468.png
    1707320490468.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 1707320506775.png
    1707320506775.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 5
Two way book shelf speakers aren't going to slam. Get a three way or add a subwoofer.

Far too high up. All wrong, I’m afraid. These should be at ear level. Their position next to the roof/ceiling is going to produce ‘boxiness’.

The WiiM amp will reproduce what‘s fed into it. It should be neutral.

Far too high up. All wrong, I’m afraid. These should be at ear level. Their position next to the roof/ceiling is going to produce ‘boxiness’.

Yeah. I thought of that and I totally agree with you. Sound bouncing off the roof. But bringing them lower places them in the way of getting the job done. I'm near retirement and I've learned "I'm a clutz". I know I'll damage the speakers if they are at ear level while I'm working in there.

But much thanks for the response!!

You're right, but this is a workshop, not a living room. Audiophilia is certainly only 2nd priority there.

Current "music system"
1707320935564.png
Whatever that "thing" did in the past probably spoiled your listening habits quite a bit. I really mean it. ;)

Go to parametric EQ settings, add +6 dB at 100 Hz with a q setting of around 1. That will probably bring back the bass you are missing (up to the point where those little Polk speakers are vomitting their woofer cones to the floor). 😁

Really nothing wrong with the WiiM Amp's bass reproduction:

Exactly.

You're right, but this is a workshop, not a living room. Audiophilia is certainly only 2nd priority there.

Whatever that "thing" did in the past probably spoiled your listening habits quite a bit. I really mean it. ;)

Go to parametric EQ settings, add +6 dB at 100 Hz with a q setting of around 1. That will probably bring back the bass you are missing (up to the point where those little Polk speakers are vomitting their woofer cones to the floor). 😁

Really nothing wrong with the WiiM Amp's bass reproduction:

Exactly.
That thing?? Ok, if you are an audiophile that's a good description. (And it's a funny one too.) For a dusty woodshop, that "thing" was a solid workhorse (and still is). It just couldn't pick up some of my local stations anymore.

I tried to limit my speaker purchase to $200 each or so and the reviews (which is all I can do) say these were pretty good.

I'll try your suggestion. Maybe I'll hold a bag under the speakers in case they "puke". ;-)

Thanks!
Bill C.

That thing?? Ok, if you are an audiophile that's a good description. (And it's a funny one too.) For a dusty woodshop, that "thing" was a solid workhorse (and still is). It just couldn't pick up some of my local stations anymore.

I tried to limit my speaker purchase to $200 each or so and the reviews (which is all I can do) say these were pretty good.
Don't get me wrong, I was just trying to be funny (in a language that's not my own), not to make fun of you. Even less to criticise your choice of speakers (or amp, for that matter). :)

I have no personal experience with Polk speakers. They are sold in Europe, but they are less popular over here. They might match just well with this relatively inexpensive, but powerful amp.

I don't take calling me an audiophile as an offense ;) and probably my priority list for satisfying music reproduction is different from yours. But that's fine. Most of those boomboxes really just do one-note kick bass around 100 Hz. Give these EQ settings a try. If it sounds better to you, then it is better.

If not, somebody gave you bad advice. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I was just trying to be funny (in a language that's not my own), not to make fun of you. Even less to criticise your choice of speakers (or amp, for that matter). :)

I have no personal experience with Polk speakers. They are sold in Europe, but they are less popular over here. They might match just well with this relatively inexpensive, but powerful amp.

I don't take calling me an audiophile as an offense ;) and probably my priority list for satisfying music reproduction is different from yours. But that's fine. Most of those boomboxes really just do one-note kick bass around 100 Hz. Give these EQ settings a try. If it sounds better to you, then it is better.

If not, somebody gave you bad advice. ;)
Oops. Sorry. You didn't offend me. I thought it was funny. All of your advice is solid and very well appreciated!

Thank you Harkpabst!

As Harkpabst indicates, Sony likely boosts the mid bass frequencies to give you that kick. Do the same to the WiiM/Polk combo and hopefully you will be satisfied. If not and you can return the Polks, I would look at passive Pro Audio PA speakers. Something like these (not an endorsement). I'll bet they will rock a lot better than your Polks.

Back