Wiim Amp + bookshelf speakers on... bookshelf

jannotfound

Hello everyone.

I'm a happy user of Wiim Amp since a few days and I'm looking for a resolution of my problem with pairing the Amp with some nice warm-signature, crisp sound bookshelf speakers. My room is about 350 sqft and my wife decided to mount a bookshelf on the wall on which my audio is set up. Speakers stands are unfortunately not an option. The only way I can set up the bookshelf speakers is on a bookshelf. Please see the photo below with the redline indicting the future and only spot for the speakers.

Any ideas for the bookshelf speakers? I am also concerned about the sound coming from the speakers put on the bookshelf. I believe that the front bass reflex port might be helpful as well. How to keep the sound warm and bass not harsh, too "lost" in the bookshelf.

I will appreciate your responses.

Attachments

• IMG_20240118_224252.jpg
    IMG_20240118_224252.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 40
Looks like your biggest constraint will be the speaker size, particularly depth and where the feet are.
i.e. they might well be able to protrude a little from the shelf, but the feet need to be on the shelf.
Yes, a downward or front reflex port may help, as might eq to reduce the bass.
Many bookshelf speakers are actually designed to be used on a... bookshelf ;)
And, thinking a bit more (after already having typed!), I guess many bookshelves are more or less the same depth, so maybe many bookshelf speakers have already been designed with that in mind...

As ever, the ideas will likely be what people already own.
And someone will ask how much you want to spend.
And is 2nd hand an option.
And...

Do you have a dealer nearby where you can try a few out? (Pushed right up against the wall.)

Looks like your biggest constraint will be the speaker size, particularly depth and where the feet are.
i.e. they might well be able to protrude a little from the shelf, but the feet need to be on the shelf.
Yes, a downward or front reflex port may help, as might eq to reduce the bass.
Many bookshelf speakers are actually designed to be used on a... bookshelf ;)
And, thinking a bit more (after already having typed!), I guess many bookshelves are more or less the same depth, so maybe many bookshelf speakers have already been designed with that in mind...

As ever, the ideas will likely be what people already own.
And someone will ask how much you want to spend.
And is 2nd hand an option.
And...

Do you have a dealer nearby where you can try a few out? (Pushed right up against the wall.)
Yeah, I guess bookshelf speakers were designed to be set on the bookshelves 😀.
I am ok with the 2nd hand speakers. Actually that's what I mainly thought of since my budget is c.a. $700-800.

I do have a dealer nearby but I am afraid that the speakers will not play as real I the audio room as they will in my living room on the bookshelf 😥 Even pushed against the wall.

Yeah, I guess bookshelf speakers were designed to be set on the bookshelves 😀.
I am ok with the 2nd hand speakers. Actually that's what I mainly thought of since my budget is c.a. $700-800.

I do have a dealer nearby but I am afraid that the speakers will not play as real I the audio room as they will in my living room on the bookshelf 😥 Even pushed against the wall.
I wonder if you could create a shelf on rollers to roll them out a bit from the bookshelf when you’re listening to keep them away from the wall or something?

I wonder if you could create a shelf on rollers to roll them out a bit from the bookshelf when you’re listening to keep them away from the wall or something?
Do you know the WAF of such a suggestion? :ROFLMAO:

I always wonder why it's called bookshelf speakers! WHAT?! :eek:

I supposed alternate names might be stand mount speakers?

Hello everyone.

I'm a happy user of Wiim Amp since a few days and I'm looking for a resolution of my problem with pairing the Amp with some nice warm-signature, crisp sound bookshelf speakers. My room is about 350 sqft and my wife decided to mount a bookshelf on the wall on which my audio is set up. Speakers stands are unfortunately not an option. The only way I can set up the bookshelf speakers is on a bookshelf. Please see the photo below with the redline indicting the future and only spot for the speakers.

Any ideas for the bookshelf speakers? I am also concerned about the sound coming from the speakers put on the bookshelf. I believe that the front bass reflex port might be helpful as well. How to keep the sound warm and bass not harsh, too "lost" in the bookshelf.

I will appreciate your responses.
Hi,
It's my favorite bookshelf speaker. 😊

Focal chora 806
images (1).jpeg

Focal aria 906
images (2).jpeg

Some recommendations:

KEF: LS50 Meta, R3 Meta
ELAC: DBR62
Klipsch: RP600MII
Wharfedale: Denton 85th

Try to listen to these at local hifi dealers.

Hello, Dali Mentor 1 (second hand), Dali Menuet ? Bassreflex on back but those speakers are very good in shelf position.

I really like the look of my B&W Cm1 and they sound great, usually you can find them around 200$ on marketplace. I would perhaps not go with a wooden speaker, unless you would be able to find your precise veneer stain.
Since you can set the Hipass in the AMP you dont have to look for front bass ports.

DSC06093-scaled.jpg

I'm using QAcoustics 3020i's positioned in a bookshelf with my WiiM Amp.
It is not ideal positioning of course, but if I'm not overdoing it with volume, sound is actually really nicely balanced and stereo image is stable and centered, albeit a little flat.
Even though I'm satisfied with their performance in my room, QA's may not be the ideal speakers to put into a shelf, since they are rear-ported. You might be better off with a closed design, or something with a front reflex port.

Our front room is very small (typical Victorian semi detached size). I’ve moved our 3010is from stands to the bookshelf above TV. Inserted the foam plugs into the rear. Can’t really tell the difference, slightly more bass maybe. Used HouseCurve to compare the graphs (which may be better than my ears) and couldn’t see any significant difference.

Back