Combining Passive Speakers with Active via AirPlay2?

UKNick

Hi since I got the WiiM Amp a few weeks ago as well as enjoying superb HiFi through my Q Acoustics 2050's floor standing speakers… I've also been playing around with AirPlay and in one scenario, I've paired my WiiM amp (with my passive speakers), to a pair of HomePod Mini’s (in stereo pair) that I normally use as TV audio from my AppleTV 4K. I have to say the effect is pretty good, and as my floor standing speakers are set quite wide (in relation to the TV) the HomePod Mini's do a good job of providing a centre speaker, particularly boosting dialogue and offering plenty of solid bass.

As I'm also a Sonos user, this got me thinking about Spatial Audio and whether it would be possible to mix a Sonos speaker or speakers, that are capable of spatial audio, with my passive speakers through the WiiM amp and AirPlay2? So I'm considering trying one of the following - a Sonos Beam Gen2, an Arc soundbar or maybe a single ERA 300, all of which will pay spatial audio.

I guess my question is whether you guys think this would be worth trying as I'm not sure whether spatial audio or Dolby Atmos will play on a compatible speaker (such as the Beam, Arc or 300) if paired with another AirPlay2 device (WiiM Amp) that isn't capable of playing spatial audio? I'm pretty sure it’ll sound pretty good but maybe I’m chasing a bit of a “wild goose”? How many of you use the WiiM Amp and your passive speakers as TV speakers and how do you find it?

PS I've just checked on the Sonos website and of course Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos from Apple TV, require eARC which of course negates the combining of passive speakers with AirPlay2 enables speakers. I think I'll still experiment with other airplay speakers as I do feel adding a centre speaker to my more powerful passive speakers for TV audio will be better than listening to either on their own....

Last edited:
This sounds like a very interesting approach specially adding smaller wifi speakers like these HomePods mini, which I would use as surround speakers to create a greater immersive experience.

I wonder if the Sonos Roam could serve this purpose as well, Amy be pair 2 as surround speakers through airplay but also serve as outdoor on the go, for a small terrace for example.

Back