External DAC sound quality thoughts

Why are so many users here looking for better DACs? The WiiM Pro Plus and WiiM Amp have a very good DAC built in, which is absolutely state of the art. DACs are no longer rocket science these days. If they are properly integrated, they are not the weakest link in the chain. Use most of your budget for the speakers and try to optimize your room acoustics as much as possible. This will give you by far the biggest improvement in sound quality. Don't drive yourself crazy over a DAC
Why are so many users here looking for better DACs? The WiiM Pro Plus and WiiM Amp have a very good DAC built in, which is absolutely state of the art. DACs are no longer rocket science these days. If they are properly integrated, they are not the weakest link in the chain. Use most of your budget for the speakers and try to optimize your room acoustics as much as possible. This will give you by far the biggest improvement in sound quality. Don't drive yourself crazy over a DAC!
Preach :)

Upgrading speakers and adding subwoofers time alignment and all that stuff can be very expensive especially when you already have good speakers and you want to do a meaningful upgrade .So the streamer dac can play a role in sound quality (source is always important )and be a much cheaper upgrade . At least in the case of Wiim . What makes dac differentiate is how well their reconstruction filter works . Also feeding the dac with a pristine digital signal helps in that direction…

Upgrading speakers and adding subwoofers time alignment and all that stuff can be very expensive especially when you already have good speakers and you want to do a meaningful upgrade. So the streamer dac can play a role in sound quality (source is always important) and be a much cheaper upgrade.
Agreed. But in the case of WiiM you just might get both.

Right now, the advantages of properly integrated subwoofers for pure stereo are underestimated, because with traditionally HiFi equipment this task has been a PITA. From my very own and very personal experience I can only invite everyone to listen to a pair of cheap fullrange speakers like Dayton Audio RS100-4 augmented by whatever cheap subwoofer with highpass and lowpass filtering handled by the amplifier. You'll be astonished by how far such a lowly combo can take you.

If you already own a pair of speakers covering bass duties pretty well, the advantage might not be that obvious and some progress might be more easily achieved. But I'm very happy that the Ultra will bring improvements in both areas to a lot of consumers.

Agreed. But in the case of WiiM you just might get both.

Right now, the advantages of properly integrated subwoofers for pure stereo are underestimated, because with traditionally HiFi equipment this task has been a PITA. From my very own and very personal experience I can only invite everyone to listen to a pair of cheap fullrange speakers like Dayton Audio RS100-4 augmented by whatever cheap subwoofer with highpass and lowpass filtering handled by the amplifier. You'll be astonished by how far such a lowly combo can take you.

If you already own a pair of speakers covering bass duties pretty well, the advantage might not be that obvious and some progress might be more easily achieved. But I'm very happy that the Ultra will bring improvements in both areas to a lot of consumers.
I get you. But you need minimum 2 subs to get an even bass, 4 being ideal.

I think the general concencus on here is that the DAC on the Pro Plus is better sounding than the Pro. So why couldn’t an external DAC improve the sound further?
Well, mainly because this is a thread about the WiiM Amp in the WiiM Amp subforum and as of now there is no way to connect it to an external DAC. :)

WiiM have announced that the USB A port (currently supporting playback from USB media, only) will be made available as an USB output as well with an upcoming update. But still, you would also need an external power amp in addition to the external DAC.

This thread is bizarre.

By its very nature the WiiM Amp is not intended for use with an external DAC either upstream or downstream. Downstream isn’t even possible as the Amp has no output apart from speakers.

If you are absolutely insistent on using a DAC upstream then please explain - why buy the WiiM Amp? With respect to WiiM if you want to use it as just an Amp there are far better options out there.

Back