Wiim Amp Popping Sound After 30-60 Seconds of Silence.

Whimsical5518

So I bought the WiiM Amp specifically for my WFH office setup, which is connected to 2 Windows computers and a Mac that I cycle through depending on what I am doing. Two computers use a DAC (USB from computer to DAC, then from DAC to optical to WiiM), and the 3rd is a direct line-in to the Amp, which all works well, especially with the auto line/optical sensing feature. The amp is connected to a set of Klipsch RP-600M and a single RSL Speedwoofer 10S MKII, which sounds amazing.

However, I am having a serious issue that is driving me nuts, and I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this. (I already opened a ticket and supplied all this information about three weeks ago, and WiiM support stated that they are working on it)

The problem is that the WiiM amp seems to go into suspense or standby mode after 30-60 seconds of silence. In the app, standby is set to 1hr. To be clear, the amp is not technically going into a full standby, but it is doing something when no audio is played for 30-60 seconds.

This is what happens, and this is true for all computers connected via optical or line-in.
  • I'm watching a YouTube video.
  • I pause the video, and then after 30-60 seconds, I hear a popping sound from the speakers (as if the input was changed). NOTE: only one computer is on at a time.
  • A notification comes in, and there is a 2-3-second delay before I hear it.
  • 30-60 seconds after another popping sound, like I described above.
  • I try to play Tidal or YouTube, and there is a 2-3-second delay before I hear the audio.
  • I pause the audio, and it repeats the popping, as stated above.
The popping occurs every single time there is silence for 30-60 seconds, so if I get an email every 5 minutes, I get popping constantly, which is what's driving me crazy. I don't know if the amp is killing power to the speakers or killing the input signal, but it's extremely distracting, especially when I need silence while working on something.

For shits and giggles, I disconnected all physical inputs from the amp and connected my phone via Bluetooth, then Tidal over WiFi, and it did the same thing both times.

I then swapped out the WiiM Amp for the Fosi ZA3 amp connected to my DAC, and there was no popping. Also, I did not get any popping with my NAD C388 either while connected to the same DAC and computers.

I don't know what the Wiim Amp is doing, and I don't know if this is just my amp or if this issue is happening to others, too, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

So I bought the WiiM Amp specifically for my WFH office setup, which is connected to 2 Windows computers and a Mac that I cycle through depending on what I am doing. Two computers use a DAC (USB from computer to DAC, then from DAC to optical to WiiM), and the 3rd is a direct line-in to the Amp, which all works well, especially with the auto line/optical sensing feature. The amp is connected to a set of Klipsch RP-600M and a single RSL Speedwoofer 10S MKII, which sounds amazing.

However, I am having a serious issue that is driving me nuts, and I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this. (I already opened a ticket and supplied all this information about three weeks ago, and WiiM support stated that they are working on it)

The problem is that the WiiM amp seems to go into suspense or standby mode after 30-60 seconds of silence. In the app, standby is set to 1hr. To be clear, the amp is not technically going into a full standby, but it is doing something when no audio is played for 30-60 seconds.

This is what happens, and this is true for all computers connected via optical or line-in.
  • I'm watching a YouTube video.
  • I pause the video, and then after 30-60 seconds, I hear a popping sound from the speakers (as if the input was changed). NOTE: only one computer is on at a time.
  • A notification comes in, and there is a 2-3-second delay before I hear it.
  • 30-60 seconds after another popping sound, like I described above.
  • I try to play Tidal or YouTube, and there is a 2-3-second delay before I hear the audio.
  • I pause the audio, and it repeats the popping, as stated above.
The popping occurs every single time there is silence for 30-60 seconds, so if I get an email every 5 minutes, I get popping constantly, which is what's driving me crazy. I don't know if the amp is killing power to the speakers or killing the input signal, but it's extremely distracting, especially when I need silence while working on something.

For shits and giggles, I disconnected all physical inputs from the amp and connected my phone via Bluetooth, then Tidal over WiFi, and it did the same thing both times.

I then swapped out the WiiM Amp for the Fosi ZA3 amp connected to my DAC, and there was no popping. Also, I did not get any popping with my NAD C388 either while connected to the same DAC and computers.

I don't know what the Wiim Amp is doing, and I don't know if this is just my amp or if this issue is happening to others, too, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, my WiiM amp (PCB 5) has the same problem as yours. As you know, @WiiM Support already knows that.

Perhaps the only thing we can do is wait for these issues to be fixed, or return the WiiM amp.

I'm waiting for the @WiiM Team to solve this.

Yes, my WiiM amp (PCB 5) has the same problem as yours. As you know, @WiiM Support already knows that.

Perhaps the only thing we can do is wait for these issues to be fixed, or return the WiiM amp.

I'm waiting for the @WiiM Team to solve this.
Thanks for confirming I’m not crazy. I honestly have no plans on returning it as it does everything I need and then some. Just need that single issue fixed. I also have a backup to fall back on while they sort things out.

It indeed goes into the lower power consumption level regardless of the standby setting with the current FW. In this mode the power amp function is basically switched off, so the transitioning might produce unwanted pop sounds.

It indeed goes into the lower power consumption level regardless of the standby setting with the current FW. In this mode the power amp function is basically switched off, so the transitioning might produce unwanted pop sounds.
Thanks for the clarification and it makes a lot of sense. I hope WiiM fixes this soon with a new firmware update.

Back