Running very hot

I have my brand new WiiM Amp in a cabinet along with Sky Q box and Xbox. Standby is set to 30 seconds. I just went to plug some leads into it having not used it overnight and discovered it is extremely hot - almost too hot to touch. This can’t be normal surely? There is some air around cracks of door and the hole the cables go through. The other devices in there don’t get hot like this.

I have my brand new WiiM Amp in a cabinet along with Sky Q box and Xbox. Standby is set to 30 seconds. I just went to plug some leads into it having not used it overnight and discovered it is extremely hot - almost too hot to touch. This can’t be normal surely? There is some air around cracks of door and the hole the cables go through. The other devices in there don’t get hot like this.
There's a firmware update that I installed yesterday and it reduces the standby heat to nearly nothing.
While in use, the Amp does get warm but not what I would call hot.
It sounds like you might need some air circulation in your cabinet. I wonder if a small USB fan could plug in the back of the Amp to move a little air?

I noticed that the standby mode is not automatically activated when HDMI is selected as a input (already created a ticket for that).
Previously to the latest firmware update there was also a bug, that caused increased power consumption (=hotter device).

I noticed that the standby mode is not automatically activated when HDMI is selected as a input (already created a ticket for that).
Previously to the latest firmware update there was also a bug, that caused increased power consumption (=hotter device).
Ah, I did wonder if HDMI was preventing standby. Can you tell from the app if it is in standby? I’m on the latest firmware version btw.

Not as I know. But you can check the LED, in standby it is sligthly dimmed.

Both hdmi and toslink input can prevent the Amp from going into standby mode.
Ok I’m going to have to move it out of the cabinet until that issue is resolved. Without being able to see the status light there’s no other way of knowing if it’s gone into standby and doesn’t feel safe to have it that hot.

Hi DavidGriffiths, onlyoneme

Could you try enabling the auto-sensing feature in your device settings? This should resolve the issue with the standby mode not activating properly.

Could you try enabling the auto-sensing feature in your device settings? This should resolve the issue with the standby mode not activating properly.
Auto sensing line in? I have that set with the optical off. There is no auto sensing option for HDMI though?

The line in auto sensing is another issue but I need to note the exact sequence of operations next time it happens. But it was something along the lines of … I had the output set to a remote AirPlay device, amp in standby, put a record on, nothing. Manually turn on amp, still nothing, goes back into standby after 30 seconds (my setting). Switch output to speakers then it worked. Was then able to cast to remote AirPlay. Turn turntable off, amp does not go into standby! But I will try and make a note next time.

Usually, HDMI uses CEC to power on and off.
The WiiM Amp doesn't currently support HDMI CEC for power (only volume) and having an independent auto sensing option for HDMI is useful because you don't want your WiiM Amp to shutoff just because you turned off your TV, you want it to gracefully handle switching input between standalone WiFi streaming vs TV HDMI audio playback.

More weirdness: tv on, turntable off. Turn tv off, amp stays on as already discussed. Some 30 minutes later, amp status light turns green (line in) for no reason. Then 30 secs later goes into standby. Then comes back on again! At least it is now out of cabinet so we can see what it is doing. Switching to line in matters for non technical members of household because I now have to instruct them to use remote to switch input sources if no sound with tv whereas the soundbar it replaces just worked.

I’m going to stick with it because I like the tech and the app and trust that these teething issues will get fixed in future firmware updates but definitely feels a little flaky at the moment.

Anyone else using both HDMI and line-in, if so do you see similar issues?

I just tested and activated auto-sensing for line-in and optical (I don't use either). With both active the amp goes into standby 30s after turning off or pausing my tv. Seems like a bug or a bad naming in the app.
Automatic switching from squeezelite to HDMI source when turning on the TV works also.

Hi DavidGriffiths,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the amp's behavior, particularly regarding input switching and standby mode. It sounds like you're encountering some unexpected functionality, especially with the transition between different inputs and standby status.

I appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through these teething issues. Your detailed feedback is invaluable to us and helps identify areas that need refinement. Rest assured, we are committed to improving these aspects in future firmware updates.

In the meantime, we understand the need for simplicity and reliability for households with non-technical members. We're taking note of your situation to ensure our solutions are user-friendly for all.

Also, I'm curious to hear from others who use both HDMI and line-in inputs – have you noticed similar behavior?

Thanks again for sticking with us and for your trust in our technology. We're on it!

FWIW I have line in and optical auto sense enabled because it's the only way I could get HDMI to auto sense when I stop WiFi streaming (IMO there should be an explicit HDMI auto sense option in addition to an explicit CEC power option for people who want it). I don't have anything actually plugged into the line in right now, though. With YouTube playing on my TV, I paused the video for a minute and then resumed and audio picked right up. Only when I hit the amp 2min standby time did I need to wait ~10s for the amp to wake back up and audio to start.

Actually, that is what I would want. The Amp should shut down when I power down the TV. If I need the Amp afterwards I could just switch it on again.
I and others probably don't want this because then I have to go and manually turn it back on when I want to start a WiFi streaming session. It should go into standby and/or shutdown on CEC should be optional functionality. Standby uses minimal power and it's valuable to be able to quickly start a WiFi streaming session without fussing with the remote.

There is no shut down. It's on, standby or you disconnect the power supply.

Back