My WiiM Amp Was a Dud

goodmore

Major Contributor
Received the Amp today. After unboxing it I had it hooked up to the speakers and sub in three minutes. I had the wires laying there waiting for Amazon to drop it off. I plugged it in and it announced set up mode. That's when everything went bad. After I entered the app to begin setup the Amp would not connect with a wireless connection. I unplugged it a half dozen times to reenter setup. I rebooted the router and my phone. Finally it connected. I don't know why, but it did. Then I installed the firmware update. It rebooted. It never showed up in the app after that. I unplugg3d it again and rebooted it. It came up in the app saying it was connected to a different network than my phone. ???? on that. Rebooted again everything looked good. First song started to play. I lost all volume control. Rebooted again. The Amp never came back in the app. I boxed it up. Refund. I like WiiM products, and I have a Pro and Mini. This thing was unstable and stressful. That 30 seconds of the song sounded good. Right now I'm angry and want to go back to the old system. I'm not waiting in the Q for another one.

This is why I wait to read the reviews, tests, measurements, etc, and comments from users. Also, it allows Wiim to fix any major bugs with firmware updates and updates to the app. Of course, in the UK, I have no choice but to wait!

There is a single 5star rating for this on US Amazon, but it more a review of Wiim tech support. The review states that he had an unspecified problem with the amp but Wiim was working on it.

There is a single 5star rating for this on US Amazon, but it more a review of Wiim tech support. The review states that he had an unspecified problem with the amp but Wiim was working on it.
My other WiiM products are so good that I will chalk the Amp up to unknown. It could have been dropped in shipping. Whatever. But it is on its way back to Amazon. I'll wait for the next generation. I was undecided to begin with. I wanted a headphone jack and pre outs.

My other WiiM products are so good that I will chalk the Amp up to unknown. It could have been dropped in shipping. Whatever. But it is on its way back to Amazon. I'll wait for the next generation. I was undecided to begin with. I wanted a headphone jack and pre outs.
Have you tried the full factory reset? I believe Press and hold the volume it will totally reset

I will say that I had to connect mine via ethernet for it to complete the setup. I was not able to do it via WiFi. Once ethernet worked I just had to complete my WiFi password and I was good. Now to try and be patient for the Roon firmware update that has been promised. :)

I will return mine. My WIFI strength is totally fine for all other devices in the room. Wiim Amp was impossible to setup via WIFI. Ethernet worked but is not possible in this room. Tried everything: 2,4 and 5 Ghz. Once it was setup it tries to reconnect all the time. I doubt that a firmware will help.
Therefore I am back with with my old Cambridge Amp connected to an Airport Express using Airplay.

Update: I fiddled with the WIFI-settings within my router. Works ok for now, but the Wiim Amp still has a very poor WIFI reception. But the sound (Tidal connect) is amazing

Last edited:
I have the same issue, recently the amp started to cut out during play, and now WiFi shows a weak signal, but the iPad next to the amp show full strength. I can play over blue tooth. Amp arrived in mid January.

I also did a reset, no change in behavior.

Amp is having WiFi issues.

I have the same issue, recently the amp started to cut out during play, and now WiFi shows a weak signal, but the iPad next to the amp show full strength. I can play over blue tooth. Amp arrived in mid January.

I also did a reset, no change in behavior.

Amp is having WiFi issues.
Are you using 5 or 2.4 GHZ?

I found my WiFi connection is stronger on 2.4 GHZ

Are you using 5 or 2.4 GHZ?

I found my WiFi connection is stronger on 2.4 GHZ
This was my experience as well. When I received my Amp, I moved my Pro to another part of the house connected to the 5 GHz band via a Linksys wifi extender. Dropouts where frequent. After a factory reset, no change. Switched to the 2.4 GHz band and that appearsto have been the solution. .

This was my experience as well. When I received my Amp, I moved my Pro to another part of the house connected to the 5 GHz band via a Linksys wifi extender. Dropouts where frequent. After a factory reset, no change. Switched to the 2.4 GHz band and that appearsto have been the solution. .
AFAIK 2.4ghz has better range and should have enough bandwidth to deal with music

When I got it I set up my amp on 5ghz and it reported weak signal, no warning now I'm on 2.4

I would like to thank WiiM for sending a replacement unit, due to my weak WiFi issue, but the second unit has the same issue, the 2.4 approach works ( but still some drops). At this point I have to assume the WiFi antenna is not optimal, as the other devices adjacent show good WiFi signal.

At this point I have to assume the WiFi antenna is not optimal, as the other devices adjacent show good WiFi signal.
Have you tried taking the case off? ;)

There's something to be said for a plastic body... or well placed/external antenna.

Update:
My Pro's WiFi reception problem returned after an unrelated issue necessitated a modem/router reboot and the Pro defaulted back to the 5 GHz band. My solution this time was to move the extender to the vicinity of the Pro and connect them via the extender's ethernet port. Problem solved, again! No idea why this option didn't occur to me before.

Wiim Amp worked within 5 minutes after unboxing with a standard router (FRITZ!Box), LAN, Wifi, Synology NAS and existing loudspeakers. The only thing I had to prepare was the pathword for the router. Now hoping for some software bugfixes and improvements.

Back