Streaming service OR your own local content?

Hollywood

Major Contributor
as a joke I was going to call this "What are you listening to?". 3200+ posts! but seriously...

Q1. Most of the time, what do you listen to, a Streaming service or content from a local drive on your network?

Q2. Do you listen to individual songs, traditional albums (format), playlists, or suggested content?

Most of my library is FLAC rips of my CDs and some purchased downloads. What I have now was not too long ago a dream, but I was wondering how most (that stream) are enjoying their music.

Thanks

Q1.
This is my personal order:
- Vinyl, still buying (old stuff)
- CDs, still buying (new stuff)
- Streaming from the usual services convenience and for getting pictures to increase the 3000+ every day ;-)
two HDDs full with ripped FLAC, but to be honest not really often

Q2.
Whenever possible complete albums. (enough time, enough vinyl, enough CDs, endless with streaming services.

Q1:
Vinyl
Local flac from my NAS
Tidal

Q2:
If I listen to vinyl I listen to the whole album, if it's straming I make my own playlists

Q1.
During the working day I kick off with a random album and then let LMSs Don’t Stop The Music entertain me with a mix from my local library and Qobuz.
During the evening it’s albums only either from my local library or Qobuz.

My local library comprises rips from CD and Vinyl. I still buy both but less so than ever before.

Q2
Serious listening is by album.
For casual listening it is dynamically created playlists. I have very few playlists of my own.

Q1 Probably about 80% streaming (Amazon) 19% local files 1% CD.

Q2 Depends how much time I have to relax.
If I have a solid hour to myself (very rare) I'll listen to an album, any less then that and it's usually a playlist or random tracks.

Find myself in kind of a closed room. Most, of course not all, of the new releases simply do not have the ability to trigger me and make me think I would like to hear it once more. But its ok for me, even the availabe fundus here is so great it will last for a few more lifes. For information the www, allmusic and one or another magazine. And if there is really no idea Roon gives me more than enough of that.

Primarily streaming Amazon Music Unlimited with occasional ripped CD stored on my Synology NAS. For casual background music normally Classic FM via TuneIn radio.

I'm old school and prefer to listen to entire albums but there are some good Artist specific playlists on AM that I use occasionally.

I pretty much exclusively use Tidal, unless I fancy listening to one of my own ripped CDs that's not available.
Usually start with the Daily Discovery and suggested new tracks (which update less frequently).
If I hear something new that I like I'll add the song, then go to the album and pop it into a 'to try' playlist.

I sometimes meander through a few of the suggested new albums and 'because you added / listened to' recommendations, but that takes effort as it can involve a fair amount of skipping stuff!
These recommendations often show albums I already know or have liked, so is good for prompting me to relisten to albums I've not heard in a while. Such as AC/DC High Voltage yesterday.
(As are @Fender's 3200 posts in that other thread :))

I use artist radio quite a bit, generally a reasonable mix of stuff I've already liked, stuff I already know and is ok, and some new, to me, stuff. Add to 'to try' as desired.

If I just want good (imo) music of a particular genre then I play one of the my mixes, as they have a lot of already liked songs in them.

Finally, when there are a few albums in the 'to try' playlist I'll go through it then clean it out ready for the next lot.

Well, you did ask...

I have an office setup with desk, couch, coffee/end tables, and stereo.

During the workday, it's mostly streaming from Pandora. I have about 30 artist stations and just pick one that I'm in the mood for. Pandora shuffles around the artist similar to Spotify. The remote is handier than my phone for pausing music during calls.

Occasionally, I'll use LMS for local albums and Don't Stop the Music picks more when the first one runs out.

I also have used Plex DLNA but stopped in preference to PlexAmp over Chromecast. PlexAmp is starting to grow on me for playing local content.

Only streaming from either Qobuz or Amazon unlimited.
Mostly albums. I stack ‘em up for a full day of listening. Being retired is nice 😊 . When I leave the house to do something I hit the ‘pause all’ button and the ‘play all’ button when I get back home. Once in awhile I will play a station or Hi Res playlist from Qobuz.

1) 98% streaming, 2% my old and original vinyls from '77 to '91. Personally I think generally doesn't make sense to use CD's when many versions of the same digital content are available on streaming. CD's are just another table on which put the sound and not the more beautiful nor the more stable one. At least vinyls are their sound themselves...

2) in the last years, I changed my mind and started look to streamers suggestion to find things unknown before.
Staying on same known contents, will not expand knowledge...

Just IMO...

Q1. Most of the time, what do you listen to, a Streaming service or content from a local drive on your network?

Q2. Do you listen to individual songs, traditional albums (format), playlists, or suggested content?
A1. Most of the time, it's internet radio. I developed an affinity for radio at a young age in the late 1960s and early 70s. First AM top forty, then late night FM prog and free form. I enjoy exploring the seemingly endless choices literally at my fingertips. For more focused listening I'll turn to Amazon Music or my own library.

A2. A, B, C, & D. Depending on where my muse takes me.

I stack ‘em up for a full day of listening. Being retired is nice 😊 . When I leave the house to do something I hit the ‘pause all’ button and the ‘play all’ button when I get back home.
Before I was retired I worked 6 days a week for most of my career and still had time to cook, eat, shop. build projects, hang out at friend, shop for new music, go to concerts, ...and on and on and on. Now I am lucky to get a small project done a day.

I go to start something and there is this empty feeling in my head. But I start some music and I feel like I actually want to be there. Sometimes a project requires going back and forth to the garage, but I don't want to miss that guitar solo. I sync s few rooms in the house with the garage and the music is seamless.

I still choose "albums" from my large local library, but I think "suggested" content is something I might also try. Playlists seem like a great solution too, but also create a job to do preparing them. I might make some playlists for when I have visitors though.

Lots of great choices!

Before I was retired I worked 6 days a week for most of my career and still had time to cook, eat, shop. build projects, hang out at friend, shop for new music, go to concerts, ...and on and on and on. Now I am lucky to get a small project done a day.

I go to start something and there is this empty feeling in my head. But I start some music and I feel like I actually want to be there. Sometimes a project requires going back and forth to the garage, but I don't want to miss that guitar solo. I sync s few rooms in the house with the garage and the music is seamless.

I still choose "albums" from my large local library, but I think "suggested" content is something I might also try. Playlists seem like a great solution too, but also create a job to do preparing them. I might make some playlists for when I have visitors though.

Lots of great choices!
If I want to play a playlist I choose one already put together by Qobuz. There are many to choose from. I typically do it when I am cleaning the house which takes several hours. FWIW, I was a high level professional trombonist for 48 years on the jazz and commercial scene in Chicago. I worked constantly and when I wasn’t working I was practicing to always be in game shape. It left little time for other endeavors, though I managed to find time for fishing. Usually late night after a gig.

Back