Thoughts after a month

Urtzy

I've been using the WiiM Pro and its app for about a month now and I wanted to share some thoughts. I'm running my TV into the WiiM Pro and then coax out to a miniDSP Flex running as a sort of separates AV processor. As the Flex is running as my DAC, I can't comment on the Pro's onboard DAC, but from what I've read it's fine. Haven't had any issues with WIFI to coax or toslink to coax digital passthrough to my DAC. It looks nice next to the rest of my gear and I don't have any issues with the plastic shell at this price point. I'm not a fan of the recessed connections. Looks clean, but some heavy duty connectors don't fit. And I'd like to see some mention on the website/Amazon listing that the 12V trigger is 2.5mm. Besides that, no major issues. I've got a few more gripes with the app. For reference, I'm using version 2.3.7.230116 of the WiiM Home app on a Pixel 7 running Android 13 with Deezer, Amazon Music, and a Plex server connected.

- Settings contains no settings, just the app version and some useful links. To access actual settings, you have to go to Device and tap the settings cog to bring up per-device settings. Or to change per-service settings, go to Browse and select the integration under "Music services". With lots of devices and music services, I could see a single settings menu getting cluttered, but there has to be a better implementation/explanation for settings being buried in three separate menus.
- The back gesture is extremely inconsistent. It works as intended in some menus and returns to the previous, but most of the time it brings up a prompt to exit the app. The on screen buttons work, but I find myself closing the app more often than I remember to tap the back button.
- The app has issues recovering from standby. I'll start some music, lock my phone or switch to a different app, and when I return to the WiiM app there's a spinning loading wheel in the middle of the screen that never loads. The app becomes unresponsive and needs to be closed and restarted. This is especially annoying when I'm using Home Music Share to listen to music from my Plex server as the Artist folder is 5 folders deep.
- The search box is finnicky. I have to tap the box multiple times to get the keyboard to popup (this seems to be part of a larger responsiveness issue). Sometimes previous search text is still in the box and I have to clear it before the keyboard will appear. Search occassionally fails to communicate with streaming services, returning incomplete or no results. Have to search, open keyboard, then search again to get most/all results to show. Deezer results seem to be more consistent than Amazon Music.
- Plex/Plexamp. Looks like this has been discussed extensively elsewhere on the forum, but +1 for better Plex integration.
- An option to choose standby light function. A three way switch in settings to decide if we want to use it for network status, standby status, or just always off.
- A trigger button on the app's homescreen would be cool. The 12v trigger goes from my WiiM Pro, to my amp and subwoofer. It would be nice if there was a way to start that chain without playing a song and missing the beginning while everything warms up.

This is my first streamer, so I can't really compare it to anything else. But, unless you need a Roon ready device today or you're really into the look of large metal audio gear, I can't imagine too many use cases for a $1000 NAD or Cambridge streamer over the WiiM Pro. The app, on the other hand, needs some work. Everything above makes the convenience of the WiiM integrations less appealing than simply casting from the more polished dedicated apps. If gapless casting worked from the Plexamp or Amazon Music app I'd likely have ditched the WiiM app already.

Really pleased so far, excited to see what improvements are in store.

You don't get gapless casting from amazon app?
I just ditched amazon so can't check myself, but I'm 99.9% sure this worked, to my mini.
Are you using chromecast (square cast icon), or alexa (round cast icon)?

You don't get gapless casting from amazon app?
Nope, just checked with Deezer as well and neither are gapless. From what I can tell, it's a limitation on Google's end. Chromecast audio only supports gapless playback from native Google media sources ( Google Home app/Android's built-in cast screen/audio). I have the new Chromecast with Google TV 4K (catchy name) and same issue when casting from Amazon/Deezer/Plexamp app to that.
I just ditched amazon so can't check myself, but I'm 99.9% sure this worked, to my mini.
I thought the mini didn't support Chromecast Audio, just Alexa?
Are you using chromecast (square cast icon), or alexa (round cast icon)?
Yes, I use the square Chromecast icon in Amazon Music, Deezer, and Plexamp and none play gapless.

The mini doesn't have chromecast.
Try casting amazon using alexa, not chromecast.

Assuming the menus are the same between mini and pro:

You need to 'register' the wiim with amazon, in the wiim home app. Browse menu, music services, amazon alexa.
Then, still in wiim app, go to the Device menu, click the cog (settings), then toggle on hd/uhd within the amazon alexa settings menu.

You should then have a round cast icon for the pro in amazon (may need to restart the app?)

Try casting amazon using alexa, not chromecast.
Alexa cast in the Amazon app plays gaplessly (but oddly doesn't show the quality like it does with Chromecast/Bluetooth/USB playback). But no Alexa cast support for Plexamp or Deezer. Plex/Plexamp support is really my biggest need. I'd like to ditch Amazon/Deezer and go entirely self-hosted/physical. At this point there's a workaround for each of my issues. And for my use case, the app isn't lacking any feature it just needs a couple layers of polish.

The wiim app shows the streaming quality, and you can skip etc. in the wiim app having cast from amazon if you want to.
Not ideal, sure, but now you know that alexacast is gapless and streaming at the max resolution per track, don't worry about the numbers...

Plex/Plexamp support is really my biggest need. I'd like to ditch Amazon/Deezer and go entirely self-hosted/physical. At this point there's a workaround for each of my issues.
What's your workaround for gapless playback with Plexamp? I've tested a docker vm that enables any UPnP receiver in my network to be linked to my Plex account but I didn't get gapless playback.

(btw go give the WiiM x Plex(amp) an upvote and some attention 😉)

What's your workaround for gapless playback with Plexamp?
Bypassing the WiiM and connecting to my DAC via Bluetooth. LDAC and FLAC have similar max bitrates, so it's close enough to bit perfect for me. For my use, this is all much less about the numbers than the quality and ease of the listening experience.

It's also not only about bitrate :)
(unless you specifically change the settings, LDAC will switch bit depths/samplerates automatically)

And of course there's the practical issues with streaming the audio directly from a phone compared to when the endpoint picks up the stream over the network.

But if it works for you, then great!

I've been using the WiiM Pro and its app for about a month now and I wanted to share some thoughts. I'm running my TV into the WiiM Pro and then coax out to a miniDSP Flex running as a sort of separates AV processor. As the Flex is running as my DAC, I can't comment on the Pro's onboard DAC, but from what I've read it's fine. Haven't had any issues with WIFI to coax or toslink to coax digital passthrough to my DAC. It looks nice next to the rest of my gear and I don't have any issues with the plastic shell at this price point. I'm not a fan of the recessed connections. Looks clean, but some heavy duty connectors don't fit. And I'd like to see some mention on the website/Amazon listing that the 12V trigger is 2.5mm. Besides that, no major issues. I've got a few more gripes with the app. For reference, I'm using version 2.3.7.230116 of the WiiM Home app on a Pixel 7 running Android 13 with Deezer, Amazon Music, and a Plex server connected.

- Settings contains no settings, just the app version and some useful links. To access actual settings, you have to go to Device and tap the settings cog to bring up per-device settings. Or to change per-service settings, go to Browse and select the integration under "Music services". With lots of devices and music services, I could see a single settings menu getting cluttered, but there has to be a better implementation/explanation for settings being buried in three separate menus.
- The back gesture is extremely inconsistent. It works as intended in some menus and returns to the previous, but most of the time it brings up a prompt to exit the app. The on screen buttons work, but I find myself closing the app more often than I remember to tap the back button.
- The app has issues recovering from standby. I'll start some music, lock my phone or switch to a different app, and when I return to the WiiM app there's a spinning loading wheel in the middle of the screen that never loads. The app becomes unresponsive and needs to be closed and restarted. This is especially annoying when I'm using Home Music Share to listen to music from my Plex server as the Artist folder is 5 folders deep.
- The search box is finnicky. I have to tap the box multiple times to get the keyboard to popup (this seems to be part of a larger responsiveness issue). Sometimes previous search text is still in the box and I have to clear it before the keyboard will appear. Search occassionally fails to communicate with streaming services, returning incomplete or no results. Have to search, open keyboard, then search again to get most/all results to show. Deezer results seem to be more consistent than Amazon Music.
- Plex/Plexamp. Looks like this has been discussed extensively elsewhere on the forum, but +1 for better Plex integration.
- An option to choose standby light function. A three way switch in settings to decide if we want to use it for network status, standby status, or just always off.
- A trigger button on the app's homescreen would be cool. The 12v trigger goes from my WiiM Pro, to my amp and subwoofer. It would be nice if there was a way to start that chain without playing a song and missing the beginning while everything warms up.

This is my first streamer, so I can't really compare it to anything else. But, unless you need a Roon ready device today or you're really into the look of large metal audio gear, I can't imagine too many use cases for a $1000 NAD or Cambridge streamer over the WiiM Pro. The app, on the other hand, needs some work. Everything above makes the convenience of the WiiM integrations less appealing than simply casting from the more polished dedicated apps. If gapless casting worked from the Plexamp or Amazon Music app I'd likely have ditched the WiiM app already.

Really pleased so far, excited to see what improvements are in store.
Good summary, I've noticed the same gripes eg search box unresponsive at times, and I echo your desire for some sort of meaningful/useful standby light regime, ideally selectable in Settings menu. I'm also struggling with periodic distortion/muting using spdif input, but I've raised a separate ticket for that.

Regarding standby/trigger behaviour, I agree about having a trigger button or something in the app. I just wish Wiim would adopt a sensible power/standby regime - they could learn a lot from how Yamaha do it on the WXC-50 streamer - very simple but effective - just have a power on/off button in the app which takes the unit out of standby (status led changes from red to active, 12V trigger output comes active and the audio unmutes). It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that, yet Wiim don't seem to understand that yet...

Good summary, I've noticed the same gripes eg search box unresponsive at times, and I echo your desire for some sort of meaningful/useful standby light regime, ideally selectable in Settings menu. I'm also struggling with periodic distortion/muting using spdif input, but I've raised a separate ticket for that.

Regarding standby/trigger behaviour, I agree about having a trigger button or something in the app. I just wish Wiim would adopt a sensible power/standby regime - they could learn a lot from how Yamaha do it on the WXC-50 streamer - very simple but effective - just have a power on/off button in the app which takes the unit out of standby (status led changes from red to active, 12V trigger output comes active and the audio unmutes). It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that, yet Wiim don't seem to understand that yet...
Have you submitted that as a feature request for WiiM to consider?

Yes, unfortunately Wiim response was just to reiterate how the status light currently operates... 🤔😒
Hi Team,

We have different opinion on the dedicated standby buttons on the WiiM Home App. First of all, you don't need turn on the device from the standby mode since it's always available to use even it's in the standby mode. Thus, we save one button tap here. Secondly, the device will automatically go to standby without manually turning it off. We don't want the device unable to enter standby mode if you forget to tap the standby button. Thus, we hope the entering or exiting of standby mode is done automatically by the device itself. Please let us know the issues you have with this approach so we can improve this further. Thank you!

Hi Team,

We have different opinion on the dedicated standby buttons on the WiiM Home App. First of all, you don't need turn on the device from the standby mode since it's always available to use even it's in the standby mode. Thus, we save one button tap here. Secondly, the device will automatically go to standby without manually turning it off. We don't want the device unable to enter standby mode if you forget to tap the standby button. Thus, we hope the entering or exiting of standby mode is done automatically by the device itself. Please let us know the issues you have with this approach so we can improve this further. Thank you!
Thanks for the reply... with all respect, I think you are missing the whole point of users wanting a standby function - that is, to enable useful slave control over other equipment (eg power amplifiers or active speakers) that are connected to the wiim pro. If you examine the behaviour of a competitor unit like Yamaha WXC-50 you will see how this is implemented perfectly:
1) standby button (on/off) on app turns unit in/out of standby, ie OFF = front panel status light goes red and 12v trigger output turns off (hence turns off power amplifiers/active speakers downstream), ON=standby light green/white, trigger output turns ON
2) in absence of an audio input signal (eg after TV is turned off which removes spdif signal to wiim pro) unit enters auto standby
3) dedicate one of the front panel buttons to the standby on/off function (to enable the unit to be turned on/off without having to open the app)

If you can implement a proper standby regime like that, the unit will be perfect (just need to fix the spdif input distortion problem that just started happening again....)

Reactions: DRC
Back