Streaming service OR your own local content?

I sort of lost interest in replaying all the music of the past when my wife of 55 years passed away last year. Music can also be very sad.

I sort of lost interest in replaying all the music of the past when my wife of 55 years passed away last year. Music can also be very sad.
Thats the most sad situation I can imagine, so sorry for you.
My "problem" is related to that, zero.
Still some difficulties with the too big amount of unstructured free time. Handed over the chamber with the end of last year. Still partner but we decided to give us at least 6 months vacancy to check how it feels to do "nothing". We booked a long Hurtigruten cruise. But then my wife suffered an extruded disc? (Bandscheibenvorfall in German). She is fine, but the physiotherapy structures the schedule and we are more or less tied to the house. Too much time for me for forums, enough time for music and adjusting the turntables again and again, more than it might be really necessary.
Much free time sounds perfect, but the learning process to be retired for me isn't finished yet and I am looking forward for July. I simply miss my clients, at least a handful, the traveling and responsibility.
And, it seems that listening to music was a little bit more precious when the time for it was shorter. But I will work on it and will succeed ;-)

If I want to play a playlist I choose one already put together by Qobuz.
I was thinking a playlist is put together from the favorites of my content. I suppose someone else's suggestions are a playlist too. It's a matter of wording, but you know what I mean.
I was a high level professional trombonist for 48 years on the jazz and commercial scene in Chicago. I worked constantly and when I wasn’t working I was practicing to always be in game shape. It left little time for other endeavors, though I managed to find time for fishing. Usually late night after a gig.
Sound like a career with a lot of memories and the fact that you are here shows music is still important to you.

Listening mainly to my Apple Music Playlist, I´ve created over 20 of diverse genres. But also Chillout or blues stations on Tune In, selecting the ones with best sound.

When I have more time I enjoy reviving my CD selection, simply sounds amazing. :)

as a joke I was going to call this "What are you listening to?". 3200+ posts! but seriously...

Q1. Most of the time, what do you listen to, a Streaming service or content from a local drive on your network?

Q2. Do you listen to individual songs, traditional albums (format), playlists, or suggested content?

Most of my library is FLAC rips of my CDs and some purchased downloads. What I have now was not too long ago a dream, but I was wondering how most (that stream) are enjoying their music.

Thanks

I have 24,000 tracks on my local drive and an Amazon Unlimited subscription and listen to both equally.

I prefer to listen to whole albums when streaming and a random selection when listening to my own music.

I am in the UK and run a Wiim pro through an external Dac, streaming Tidal, which sounds very good through my Quad/Harbeth system.

However I recently took a free month's trial of a relatively new streaming service "Prestomusic" (March 23), which is designed for Classical and Jazz enthusiasts and has an extensive catalogue of 200,000 classical and Jazz albums, updated with the latest releases weekly, streaming up to 24bit x 192kHz. It runs apps for iOS, Android and desktop and is available in a number of countries. See their website <prestomusic.com/streaming> for further details.

I linked my new Windows 11 desktop to my Hi-fi and listened to the same Hi Res streams from both Tidal and Prestomusic and preferred the sound of the latter. More natural timbre and firmer detailed bass although the soundstage wasn't quite so wide .It wasn't a scientific exercise of course and I am sure equipment, room acoustics,volume and especially ears, play a part in the sound quality judgement!

I would have preferred to use a streamer directly through my Hi-fi but this new service is not of course included in the Wiim App.
Prestomusic have their own streamer, and the App also runs on BluOS devices.
I don't want to run two streaming devices, due to limited dac inputs but If Wiim ever includes this streaming service on its devices, I shall definitely be switching from Tidal to Prestomusic.

I would be interested to know if others have tried this service and what they think of it.

I am in the UK and run a Wiim pro through an external Dac, streaming Tidal, which sounds very good through my Quad/Harbeth system.

However I recently took a free month's trial of a relatively new streaming service "Prestomusic" (March 23), which is designed for Classical and Jazz enthusiasts and has an extensive catalogue of 200,000 classical and Jazz albums, updated with the latest releases weekly, streaming up to 24bit x 192kHz. It runs apps for iOS, Android and desktop and is available in a number of countries. See their website <prestomusic.com/streaming> for further details.

I linked my new Windows 11 desktop to my Hi-fi and listened to the same Hi Res streams from both Tidal and Prestomusic and preferred the sound of the latter. More natural timbre and firmer detailed bass although the soundstage wasn't quite so wide .It wasn't a scientific exercise of course and I am sure equipment, room acoustics,volume and especially ears, play a part in the sound quality judgement!

I would have preferred to use a streamer directly through my Hi-fi but this new service is not of course included in the Wiim App.
Prestomusic have their own streamer, and the App also runs on BluOS devices.
I don't want to run two streaming devices, due to limited dac inputs but If Wiim ever includes this streaming service on its devices, I shall definitely be switching from Tidal to Prestomusic.

I would be interested to know if others have tried this service and what they think of it.
Does either the Android or iOS app have Chromecast/Airplay option?

Back