Cannot get WiiM Mini post reset to appear in Home / HomeKit

krustyjonez

All,

I've lost the ability to have the WiiMs as part of my Apple Home system completely with the most recent firmware. They are available as AirPlay2 output devices, but cannot be placed into a Room via Home, making them unusable in Apple-based multi-room scenarios or automations. This worked out of the box always - which is why I added them to an existing AirPlay centric system in addition to Belkin Soundforms.

I decide to reconfigure two WiiM mini's that have been working well for more than a year in an Apple Home / AirPlay2 environment. They upgraded to firmware 4.6.528043, with a build date of 20230901. They now do not appear at all as devices that can get added in Home - other than immediately after the initial reset to default firmware. Even then, they can't be added to Home from any device - iOS 16, iOS 17, iPadOS 16, iPadOS 17.

I'd love to hear from anyone who faced and solved this problem.

Thanks!

Mine is set to “same network” (tbh not sure why I have it set to that) and I can still see my Mini, Pro and Pro Plus. My Mini happens to be on beta firmware v4.6.527152 for the PEQ feature, but it’s been there since day one.

Mine is set to “same network” (tbh not sure why I have it set to that) and I can still see my Mini, Pro and Pro Plus. My Mini happens to be on beta firmware v4.6.527152 for the PEQ feature, but it’s been there since day one.
Thank you for troubleshooting with me. I tried "same network" as well - same problem. I saw how to get the beta firmware for the Pro - are there also instructions (I am sure - probably missed them!) on how to apply the firmware to the Minis?

Thank you for troubleshooting with me. I tried "same network" as well - same problem. I saw how to get the beta firmware for the Pro - are there also instructions (I am sure - probably missed them!) on how to apply the firmware to the Minis?
I thing you’re probably past the window to get that beta - I was expecting it to go public pretty soon, maybe this week, but firmware rollout seems to have come to a bit of a standstill just now. Re applying firmware, beta or otherwise, it’s downloaded automatically to your devices over a period normally of days, but sometimes weeks.

Hopefully WiiM pick up on your ticket and get back to you soon - if not, post the ticket number here and I’ll ask them to escalate it. If it turns out it’s an issue with that firmware, they’ll want to quickly fix it as it could impact a good number of users.

So the response back from Support was "We don't support HomeKit". The setup instructions include this:

"How to add into Apple Home App as an accessory".

This seems a bit like semantics. It's not HomeKit, but it's adding it into a room using the HomeApp as an accessory. It obviously used to work, it's in the documentation. Anyone have success with this setup using this firmware?

Following up above, Support replied they would follow up and nothing so far. Anyone else on this particular firmware - love to hear your experiences.

All,

I've lost the ability to have the WiiMs as part of my Apple Home system completely with the most recent firmware. They are available as AirPlay2 output devices, but cannot be placed into a Room via Home, making them unusable in Apple-based multi-room scenarios or automations. This worked out of the box always - which is why I added them to an existing AirPlay centric system in addition to Belkin Soundforms.

I decide to reconfigure two WiiM mini's that have been working well for more than a year in an Apple Home / AirPlay2 environment. They upgraded to firmware 4.6.528043, with a build date of 20230901. They now do not appear at all as devices that can get added in Home - other than immediately after the initial reset to default firmware. Even then, they can't be added to Home from any device - iOS 16, iOS 17, iPadOS 16, iPadOS 17.

I'd love to hear from anyone who faced and solved this problem.

Thanks!
Hi Krustyjonez,

Please navigate to the Apple Home App, tap the '+' icon at the top right corner, and select 'Add or Scan Accessory' followed by 'More options...' You should find the WiiM device there.

If you don't see it, please check all your rooms. The device might already be allocated to a room, in which case you won't see it until you remove it from that room first. Thank you!

No, the devices have been reset many times. They don't appear in any other rooms. They are not visible in the HomeApp to be added at all. They do appear in mDNS - they are broadcasting on the network with their short names of services. That's why I can use Airplay2 to send them audio. They aren't properly announcing themselves as devices to be added in Home.

Again, I've used these devices happily for over a year in Home. They worked great. They even appeared in Home once after the reinstall/flash. I am really hoping this is something with the firmware or I have to throw them away and replace these with Belkin Soundforms.

Hi, did you get this resolved?

My Mini was on the PEQ beta firmware, but I asked WiiM to put me back on the public firmware.

To test your setup, I deleted the mini from the Home app main screen and found I couldn’t then add it as an accessory, even after factory resetting it. However, I hadn’t noticed that it still appeared in a room in the app, and after deleting it from there, I was able to rediscover it on the main home page again. Have you checked to see if you might have a previous instance still set up in a room that’s preventing it being rediscovered?

Hi there - you nailed it. Thank you !

I removed each device & then looked carefully to see if it was still showing up in a room. Turns out, one of them was the first time. I deleted it and could then set it up successfully in Home. The second device I had to reset again and it then showed up in Home. It didn't follow the exact same path as the first device. That's definitely confusing.

Hi, did you get this resolved?

My Mini was on the PEQ beta firmware, but I asked WiiM to put me back on the public firmware.

To test your setup, I deleted the mini from the Home app main screen and found I couldn’t then add it as an accessory, even after factory resetting it. However, I hadn’t noticed that it still appeared in a room in the app, and after deleting it from there, I was able to rediscover it on the main home page again. Have you checked to see if you might have a previous instance still set up in a room that’s preventing it being rediscovered?
Hi! I’ve been having a similar problem. But I’ve never been able to add the mini to the Home app even straight out of the box, though I can stream to it in AirPlayIMG_4911.png. It does show up when I go to manually add accessory in the Home app, but the I get this, (I named the Mini “Media Room” in the initial WiiM setup, I have “same network setting“ selected in WiiM app)):

Yes, both the WiiM and the phone with Home are on the same 5G wifi. The “hub” is a 4K AppleTV on both WiFi and Ethernet to the same wifi router.

Back