Clarification on Turntable Hookup with Wiim Pro Plus

b00ky

I am a brand-new user. I read through the forums and couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for so maybe someone can help. This is also my first streamer/DAC so I am learning as I go. Thank you in advance.

I have a Sony PS-LX310BT record player/turntable which does have a built-in phono pre-amp - although I genuinely do not know how good it is compared to the WiiMs pre-amp. It also has an option for the output to be set to "Phono" when the receiver has a pre-amp or "Line Out" when the receiver does not and you want to use the built-in pre-amp.

My receiver does not have a phono pre-amp. If it matters, my receiver is a Sony AZ-7000ES.

I am currently using the Wiim Pro Plus primarily for streaming. However, I am wondering if the turntable would benefit from going through the WiiM's DAC via Line In?
  1. Is this recommended vs. just going directly into the receiver and using the turntable's pre-amp?
    • The benefit to this is it is on a separate receiver input which makes switching easy.
    • The downside may be that the WiiM Pro Plus' DAC may improve the audio quality.
  2. If I go through the WPP...
    • Is the WiiM's built-in pre-amp comparable/better/worse than the one built into the turntable?
    • I am not sure I have an option to bypass the WPP pre-amp if I go that route anyway.
    • Assuming I would set the Turntable output to "Phone" since the WPP is acting as the phono pre-amp?
  3. In the WPP app, I see various resolutions for the Line-In. Should I leave this at the default of 48kHz, 16bits?

Solution
A phono pre-amp has to include RIAA equalization. WiiM doesn't. You must continue to use the turntable's pre-amp.

As for wiring through the WiiM's Line-In, it would surely only make sense for multi-room distribution. An ADC+DAC cannot improve audio quality, only take it away.
A phono pre-amp has to include RIAA equalization. WiiM doesn't. You must continue to use the turntable's pre-amp.

As for wiring through the WiiM's Line-In, it would surely only make sense for multi-room distribution. An ADC+DAC cannot improve audio quality, only take it away.

Solution

Well not quite so if DSP is used for Room correction or eq it can benefit in other ways. But it depends on the ADC used I doubt the Wiims is the best one. But I intend to try when the peq is working properly.

Back