Turntable Confusion! Help Please!!

NSM86

Hi Guys.

I really need some advice. My primary objective is to play really nice warm vinyl record sounds from my new turntable. It has a built in pre amp which can be turned off if needed.

My house has Sonos in multi room for Spotify.

The turntable doesn’t need to be streamed to the whole house.

I like the idea of WIIM because I can also steam Spotify to whatever speakers I install.

But this is where I get confused. I read so much stuff about analog to digital to analog. Amp, pre amp, passive speakers etc.

I just want to have a wiim connected to my turntable and also a pair of speakers. Which WIIM should I get and which speakers. Passive? Powered?

I have looked at Sonos, klipsch fives etc but I read negative stuff. Can anyone help?

If I do turntable > wiim amp which speakers would give me amazing quality vinyl sounds for a price of around $1250 Australian dollars which is $800 US dollars.

Also if I use the wiim amp would you turn off the pre amp in the turntable?

Thank you for your time and help.

I am using the Wiim amp for turntable, TV and streaming via Chromecast. There is no built-in turntable pre-amp so you'd need to use your built-in or maybe use an out-board unit (I have a Cambridge Audio device). I have Kef Q150 speakers and the Wiim amp drives them very nicely. Using the EQ features I was able to find a very nice profile that sounds pretty amazing in my space. Total cost of speakers and Wiim amp is <$700 US. Really hard to beat this combo at that price point.

Hi Guys.

I really need some advice. My primary objective is to play really nice warm vinyl record sounds from my new turntable. It has a built in pre amp which can be turned off if needed.

My house has Sonos in multi room for Spotify.

The turntable doesn’t need to be streamed to the whole house.

I like the idea of WIIM because I can also steam Spotify to whatever speakers I install.

But this is where I get confused. I read so much stuff about analog to digital to analog. Amp, pre amp, passive speakers etc.

I just want to have a wiim connected to my turntable and also a pair of speakers. Which WIIM should I get and which speakers. Passive? Powered?

I have looked at Sonos, klipsch fives etc but I read negative stuff. Can anyone help?

If I do turntable > wiim amp which speakers would give me amazing quality vinyl sounds for a price of around $1250 Australian dollars which is $800 US dollars.

Also if I use the wiim amp would you turn off the pre amp in the turntable?

Thank you for your time and help.
Last thing first, and I only try to answer your last question. If you use the line in from the WiiM amp you will need the integrated phono pre in your turntable, so let it turned on.

I am using the Wiim amp for turntable, TV and streaming via Chromecast. There is no built-in turntable pre-amp so you'd need to use your built-in or maybe use an out-board unit (I have a Cambridge Audio device). I have Kef Q150 speakers and the Wiim amp drives them very nicely. Using the EQ features I was able to find a very nice profile that sounds pretty amazing in my space. Total cost of speakers and Wiim amp is <$700 US. Really hard to beat this combo at that price point.
thanks for the help and advice. Do you you think the built in pre amp would be ok? If using the wiim amp and q150 speakers do it keep the sound analogue to allow the vinyl quality to come through?

thanks for the help and advice. Do you you think the built in pre amp would be ok? If using the wiim amp and q150 speakers do it keep the sound analogue to allow the vinyl quality to come through?
The analog input of WiiM devices converts the signal to digital for volume control, PEQ etc before passing it to their internal DAC. However, the analog input stage (ADC) of the WiiM Pro Plus and Amp in particular is supposedly good so hopefully nothing will be “lost in translation” ;)

What is your turntable? What cartridge are you using? The quality of the rest of the system should match the input source.

If the turntable is not going to the whole house, why not just use an analog only integrated amp to drive your speakers? That would avoid the A to D to A conversion. Assuming the amp has 2 analog inputs, you could then use a Wiim for streaming to the analog amp, using the analog out of a Wiim. Or, if the amp also has a built in DAC, you could just send the Wiim digital to the amp. For example, a NAD C315BEE (analog only) or a NAD D 3020 (analog and digital).

If you want to play on both the new speakers and your existing Sonos speakers then you could use Sonos Era 300 speakers for your turntable using the Era 300 line in, although that requires an A to D conversion. Then group your Era 300s with your existing speakers. That would mean no WIim is needed - just use Sonos for streaming.

What is your turntable? What cartridge are you using? The quality of the rest of the system should match the input source.

If the turntable is not going to the whole house, why not just use an analog only integrated amp to drive your speakers? That would avoid the A to D to A conversion. Assuming the amp has 2 analog inputs, you could then use a Wiim for streaming to the analog amp, using the analog out of a Wiim. Or, if the amp also has a built in DAC, you could just send the Wiim digital to the amp. For example, a NAD C315BEE (analog only) or a NAD D 3020 (analog and digital).

If you want to play on both the new speakers and your existing Sonos speakers then you could use Sonos Era 300 speakers for your turntable using the Era 300 line in, although that requires an A to D conversion. Then group your Era 300s with your existing speakers. That would mean no WIim is needed - just use Sonos for streaming.

Thank you. This is a really good reply. So to keep my system analog I need an analog amp. Thanks for listing a few.

like you say this was I can get the cheaper wiim and connect that to the amp directly.

Can you list me some amazing speakers to go with this setup then?

Thank you. This is a really good reply. So to keep my system analog I need an analog amp. Thanks for listing a few.

like you say this was I can get the cheaper wiim and connect that to the amp directly.

Can you list me some amazing speakers to go with this setup then?
I, too, would probably recommend an analog integrated amp, maybe with a phono input, for your TT.
However, there aren't that many amps nowadays that don't have digital inputs too.
Having said that, most stereo amps, I believe, would not convert the analog input to digital.
As mentioned, the wiim amp does, for its own, valid reasons.

Speakers...
I'd strongly suggest you go to a dealer or three and have a listen to at least 4 or 5 sets you are thinking about, and a couple of dealer recommendations you weren't even considering!
You might just stumble on a pair that really suit both your music and sound preferences.

Is the A$1200 just for speakers? That could also get you a pretty decent set of 2nd hand speakers.
For example, I picked up my Krix floorstanders in my signature for A$500. Very, very close to some Jamo floorstanders I bought new for A$2300.

Have fun shopping!

As much as I like keeping the analog signal analog, a good A to D to A converter can sound as good as the straight analog signal. I digitized hundreds of my albums with a high-quality A to D and use a high-quality D to A and cannot hear the difference between the original and the digitized versions. Now stored on a PC, the digitalized versions are much easier to play than the original turntable. But, it took me a long time to get the right A to D to A equipment. The A to D came from a professional recording studio.

Exactly what you need depends on the source and the speakers. As Mr Ee suggests for speakers, you might want to see if you can try the Wiim A to D to A approach and see how it works for you. If it sounds as good as the original with an analog amp, then the choice becomes one of convenience.

Not much help on speakers. I have not auditioned speakers in the price range in a while. I do like KEFs in general, but there a lot of options out there. And, the speakers are probably the most important element in your final sound.

Back