Connecting all my FLAC audio files on my Synology DS 220+ NAS to my Wiim Pro?

bsacco335

Id like to connect all my FLAC audio files on my Synology DS 220+ NAS to my Wiim Pro?

Is this possible?

If so, is there a step-by-step tutorial?

On your NAS, make sure that the Media Server package is running and that the media indexing process it refers to on its main page correctly points to your music folders. I don’t recall it being any more difficult than that. Then in the Wiim app, you should find an entry for your NAS under Home Music Share. Select that and you will be able to browse your files by album, artist etc

Will I be able to play songs continuously one after another without stopping after each song?

As has been noted in some other threads, the wiim home app is not (yet?) blessed with great usability for browsing / managing playback from music shares.
You might find other apps provide a better / more complete experience.

Perhaps do a search on this forum for plex!
In a word, no.
Is it coming? Maybe.

does the album art come through? I've installed UPNP on my syno and looking to see if this will work better with a Pro device. thanks

I have NOT committed yet on a software platform to stream all my music, photos and home videos. I was looking at PLex but I don't like the fact that they cahrge and offer zero support. SO, I'm looking at ALL possibilities including DNLA via ROKU MEDIA PLAYER App or anything else free that will work.

If you want a (better than) Plex like experience without the cost, have some IT skills and your Synology is capable of running Docker then look at LMS in combination with the following plugins.

Material - Feature rich HTML5 controller skin
Music & Artist Information (MAI) - provides lyrics, bios and album reviews
UPnP/DLNA Bridge - turns your WiiM into a native LMS endpoint

LMS is however audio only. It also has much better Internet Radio support than WHA, plugins for Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer all controlled via Material in one place so I don't use WHA at all. It was only really required to set up my Mini in the first place.

I run the free version of Plex for video in combination with LMS for audio.

Well, the mere fact that I have no idea what all those three-letter abreviations mean signals I have no idea what you are talking about and less IT skills than that. lol.

For audio, I don't need a visual stuff because it's going to a listening room that has no TV screen. For audio, all I need is access to the flac & Wav files on my Synology DS220+ NAS server. Do you know how to do that?

LMS = Logitech Media Server (now open source but was a Logitech product)
WHA = WiiM Home App

If you have no serious IT skills then the simplest thing to do is to install one of the supported UPnP/DLNA servers on the Synology.

I'd try Minimserver or Emby. Although WiiM won't work with PlexAmp at present it will work at a basic level if you were to choose that option and switch on "DLNA support" in Plex Server. There is no cost unless you opt for a Plex Pass or want Plex Amp. So don't rule out Plex completely.

Once installed, pointed at your music files, indexed and running your music should appear in the WHA under "Home Music Server"

Unfortunately LMS won't run natively on the NAS although it will run inside a "Docker" on the NAS if your NAS supports it. You do need some IT knowledge to set up a Docker though.

First off, thank so much for taking an interest in helping me. Literally I'm a IT retard.

My music room setup is just Wiim to my vintage 70's Marantz receiver then to my speakers.

I use my iphone using the Wiim app to select the songs or adjust volume.

I'm clueless now that I have copied all my flac and wav files to my NAS and HOW to get it working using the Wiim app.

in regards to the AUDIO only, you say all I have to do is to install one of the supported UPnP/DLNA servers on the Synology?

I'm at that page now. I see you do NOT recommend any of Synology's 1st party solutions like Audio Station, Advanced Media Extensions or Media Server. Is there a specific reason you are recommending 3rd party solutions?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm reserving my video questions for a later post here on the forum.

First off, thank so much for taking an interest in helping me. Literally I'm a IT retard.

My music room setup is just Wiim to my vintage 70's Marantz receiver then to my speakers.

I use my iphone using the Wiim app to select the songs or adjust volume.

I'm clueless now that I have copied all my flac and wav files to my NAS and HOW to get it working using the Wiim app.

in regards to the AUDIO only, you say all I have to do is to install one of the supported UPnP/DLNA servers on the Synology?

I'm at that page now. I see you do NOT recommend any of Synology's 1st party solutions like Audio Station, Advanced Media Extensions or Media Server. Is there a specific reason you are recommending 3rd party solutions?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm reserving my video questions for a later post here on the forum.
Elsewhere people are reporting having issues with the Synology ones.

So, I'm still in limbo. As we seem to be going in circles with solutions that are way over my head to install.

How do I get music to my 70's receiver from my Synology NAS using WIIM?

Am I asking the wrong question on the wrong forum?

Please advise.

Just install Minimserver or Emby package on the NAS.
Configure whichever you choose to scan your music files.
Configure it to autostart.
You will then find it listed under Home Music Server in the WiiM App and hopefully you will be able to play your Flacs.

People have reported problems with Synology's own UPnP server hence choose one of the supported third party ones.

I also have a 220 Synology NAS. I have 4500 FLAC files stored there. My WiiM was not seeing the NAS in Home Share until I installed the Synology Media Server with default settings. Then it showed up in the Home Share and worked perfectly with tge WiiM app.
Until I installed the Media Server app on the NAS, I could only use the Synology DS Audio app to play music by choosing the WiiM DLNA from the ‘device to play on’ list.

I have NOT committed yet on a software platform to stream all my music, photos and home videos. I was looking at PLex but I don't like the fact that they cahrge and offer zero support. SO, I'm looking at ALL possibilities including DNLA via ROKU MEDIA PLAYER App or anything else free that will work.
Plex server on my PC, plexamp on my tablet/phone to control everything and cast to Wiim Pro. Plexamp is awesome to use and scroll your library, worth the price of admission (you need a plex pass)! Their 'sonic similar' feat is superb. The Wiim home app sucks to browse your own library,sorry.

I guess my Q is what's the best GUI to use? I can play files on my Synology via WiiM home app, but it just shows me folders, and I have to scroll through them. Surely there must a better way with a GUI? I know I can use Audio Station, but then it's AirPlaying to the WiiM and downrezzing accordingly.

Back