I just upgraded from the Pro to the Pro Plus...the results?

bsacco335

OK, I am a musician of over 50 years.

I have a pro-audio studio.

My audiophile listening station features Klipsch LaScala's with brand new ALK rebuilt crossovers.

My thoughts on the Prop Plus?

"Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
(It's not) Gonna be different this time"
- Talking Heads

Well, you guessed it. There is no audible difference.

You would have thought if Wiim had gone through the trouble of releasing this upgraded product which shares the exact same exterior plastic cabinet and inputs and outputs of its "inferior" predecessor they would have upgraded the ONE thing that would be sure to upgrade the sound - the POWER supply. But, no chance. What you get is more marketing flash-in-a-pan for more $'s and the same audible sound.

OK, I am a musician of over 50 years.

I have a pro-audio studio.

My audiophile listening station features Klipsch LaScala's with brand new ALK rebuilt crossovers.

My thoughts on the Prop Plus?

"Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
(It's not) Gonna be different this time"
- Talking Heads

Well, you guessed it. There is no audible difference.

You would have thought if Wiim had gone through the trouble of releasing this upgraded product which shares the exact same exterior plastic cabinet and inputs and outputs of its "inferior" predecessor they would have upgraded the ONE thing that would be sure to upgrade the sound - the POWER supply. But, no chance. What you get is more marketing flash-in-a-pan for more $'s and the same audible sound.

It is a least very clever from WiiM's Marketing Dept. They managed that a lot of people think with an additional ≈ 35% higher price they'll get a 35% "better" sound. Everyone should know that things are a little bit more complex 😉
For me it is still good marketing AND good engineering. No one makes a mistake with either a Mini, a PwP or a PP. All deliver in relation to its prices very good entry, if not the best entry point.

Pro without Plus (sometimes I'm obsessed with abbreviations, sorry 😉)
It's funny, 'cos simply Pro has 3 just letters too, so PwP isn't really an abbreviation...😁
I too realised it meant the Pro, but wondered what it actually stood for!

Like it more than P- and P+.
This minus reads so damned negative 😂
And a simple P is so simple..

The only difference is the DAC (and ADC).
This is well known, no one has ever claimed that the power supply or anything else has been upgraded.

Are you using the internal DAC and RCA output, in which case your conclusion is that the Pro and Plus DACs sound exactly the same, or are you using an external DAC with a digital connection from the Wiims, in which case the output will be identical?

With your experience and equipment I assume you already know this but have to ask.

You know, in Germany the following is common:
Die Abk. einer Abk. ist Abk.! 😉
Lol.
I'm not sure how many German speakers would know was ist die Abkürzung für das Wort Abkürzung?
English speakers either for that matter but apparently it exists.

The Abbr. of Abbr. is Abbr.!

Last edited:
Lol.
I'm not sure how many German speakers would know the abbreviation of abbreviation.
English speakers either for that matter but apparently it exists.

The Abbr. of Abbr. is Abbr.
So it seems to be identical 😉

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. But this joke was already done 😉
So you're a little bit late.

I was hoping for the ability to play DSD files, and that’s why I upgraded. It’s silly - they should enable the ability to handle DSF and DFF files and it would be a true gem!

At the risk of being shouted down I think I am correct in saying it will play DSD if you use the inbuilt Squeezelite client in conjunction with LMS.

Well Amir in ASR would disagree! Look at the charts and numbers! We all know true audiophiles listen with their eyes. :eek:

Back