I just upgraded from the Pro to the Pro Plus...the results?

bsacco335

OK, I am a musician of over 50 years.

I have a pro-audio studio.

My audiophile listening station features Klipsch LaScala's with brand new ALK rebuilt crossovers.

My thoughts on the Prop Plus?

"Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
(It's not) Gonna be different this time"
- Talking Heads

Well, you guessed it. There is no audible difference.

You would have thought if Wiim had gone through the trouble of releasing this upgraded product which shares the exact same exterior plastic cabinet and inputs and outputs of its "inferior" predecessor they would have upgraded the ONE thing that would be sure to upgrade the sound - the POWER supply. But, no chance. What you get is more marketing flash-in-a-pan for more $'s and the same audible sound.

The Pro+ has 25 dB greater sinad. So I would assume there could be other factors. What is the configuration of the other equipment that you have between the Pro+ and the speakers? Pre-amp? Power amp? The sound will also be dependent on the source music. MP3 and lower formats sound lossy, as their technical names imply, on any system.

Appears bsacco35's OP was just a Drive-By Flame-job (and a Flex on his Speakers)...

My audiophile listening station features Klipsch LaScala's with brand new ALK rebuilt crossovers.

- Talking Heads

You would have thought if Wiim had gone through the trouble of releasing this upgraded product which shares the exact same exterior plastic cabinet and inputs and outputs of its "inferior" predecessor they would have upgraded the ONE thing that would be sure to upgrade the sound - the POWER supply. But, no chance. What you get is more marketing flash-in-a-pan for more $'s and the same audible sound.
The bottleneck for both WiiM models are the power supply.
No big fault, and only relevant if the best sound regardless of price is on the table.
That is my opinion.

You can change the powersupply with a better LPS - it will sound slightly better but not as good as using a really good sounding external dac .

Last edited:

- Talking Heads

It’s because all (good) DACs sound the same.

So there’s some in depth measurements made by contributors to Audio Science review:

Review 1 (with comparison to Wiim Pro)

Review 2

But was your comparison a proper Blind test?

Sighted tests are almost guaranteed to be determined by bias.

This where this can get out off hand as this is subjective. Everyone hearing is different and so the translation on brain. The only way this to be not bias would be measurement. Remember, music is personal thing you listen to it how you like it including tweaking eq on your liking.

The difference between pro and pro plus is the improved dac section. If you don't use the analogue out you won't hear a difference. Or maybe just on a very revealing system because the plus is also supposed to have a better clock. So Pro to Pro plus is only an upgrade when you are using the analogue out. If you don't hear a difference there, you should look a the rest of your system first, because obviously it is the bottleneck.

Hearing ability is not the same for everyone. If you read the research on audibility of distortion, you will see that some people have much more ability to hear the distortion. Maybe you don’t. Fortunately, I don’t think that I do.

Back