icecast radio metadata

canard

Major Contributor
I have a favor to ask our IT pros...

I am completely incompetent in these areas.
just
are there in the radio links in icecast aac ( normaly 192k aac perhaps vbr) a minimum of metadata? album artist etc.
in use, wiim home does not display any...(use in open net work)
like somes

etc
if the use of radio in quality not good for everyday life or to discover things ... I accept it ...
"discovery" is only possible if there is a minimum of data...
thank you..
,-)
(Besides vtuner which probably offers these same radio "hq".. does not provide more metada in wiim home)

Last edited:
It’s entirely down to the Internet Radio service as to whether they put metadata into their streams. If it’s there then WiiM should show it and I think it does.

It’s entirely down to the Internet Radio service as to whether they put metadata into their streams. If it’s there then WiiM should show it and I think it does.
In Shoutcast it’s possible to have cover art in the stream but not the case with Icecast. If there is cover art it’s done a different way

In Shoutcast it’s possible to have cover art in the stream but not the case with Icecast. If there is cover art it’s done a different way
and just artist and title etc?

Last edited:
Entirely up to the station what they inject into the stream. Might be Artist and Title or might be Station name etc

I think WiiM do for vTuner and Tunein, but so far not for Radio Paradise and network streams

my question not clear
Is there a way for computer pros to see if there is useful data in the links I have pointed (if it's not too complicated) ?

Last edited:
my question not clear
Is there a way for computer pros to see if there is useful data in the links I have pointed (if it's not too complicated)
Why don’t you do some Googling. It’s easy but you won’t learn anything if someone does it for you.

Really? to have the competence to read etc these flows?
but you're right.. i shouldn't have asked this question...

(however the second link is a radio from a bouquet of the French national radio...particular...
shazam won't find so often..

being essentially acoustic music deserve much better than a 192k aac.

may be of interest to some....)

Last edited:
What you are talking about is metadata.

The 2 URLs above both have expired SSL certs. But if you access via http:// and in a particular way then you can see that there is no metadata contained within them.

When you encode a stream to send to a Shoutcast server you can insert a single string - usually "artist - title" and reference the cover art via a url which the client can download and display. artist and title will usually be automatically inserted by the encoding software from the tags contained within the track being played. These pieces of info are inserted right at the beginning of the stream along with some other techie stuff. Shoutcast supports a lot of protocols e.g. mp3, aac, ogg-vorbis and when bandwidth was scarce it was the server of choice for internet radio services.

The Icecast server will do things the same but for reasons that have never been entirely clear doesn't natively support the cover art url. Crucially however Icecast will support FLAC in an Ogg container. It is the server of choice for high end radio streaming and there are other servers built on top of it that extend its capability. It is possible to leverage cover art if the Station's web site contains it or they publish an open API.

Radio France is a bit unusual. I think I am correct in saying that Roon claim to have the only RF stream with metadata. Its not true. There is a very well developed longstanding plugin in LMS that has been doing it for years.

Radio Paradise is also a different animal. It has had full metadata and cover art for ages in the LMS world. In fact it has more than one FLAC implementation - there is regular FLAC - a continuous stream - and something called FLAC interactive. The latter allows you to skip tracks like you would if you were playing local music.

Last edited:
thanks....
but between the language barrier and a lack of knowledge of his subjects ... I do not understand everything ..

but I use its links directly via the wiim home application and it works...
I'm going to do some heavy lifting in the future.
open the radiofrance application in parallel and this be able to follow what is streamed in real time...just that it uses non-icecast streams...worse...

So yes.. I shouldn't have asked the question.. :
not being able to understand the answers (although I just wanted to know just basic metadata)
and a bypass solution available as well as sometimes shazam...

I will keep quiet in the future

thanks....
but between the language barrier and a lack of knowledge of his subjects ... I do not understand everything ..

but I use its links directly via the wiim home application and it works...
I'm going to do some heavy lifting in the future.
open the radiofrance application in parallel and this be able to follow what is streamed in real time...just that it uses non-icecast streams...worse...

So yes.. I shouldn't have asked the question.. :
not being able to understand the answers (although I just wanted to know just basic metadata)
and a bypass solution available as well as sometimes shazam...

I will keep quiet in the future
There is no need to keep quiet. Just do a bit of research yourself.

Are you French? Perhaps let us know and we can point you to appropriate sites for research.

to be honest, I really don't want to take such a lesson....you're in trouble, it's very rare for me to ask such questions like this because I have this character trait of precisely investigating by myself before "annoy" people...
but the irony.. is that your answer indicates to me that I am really not able to understand these things and to be honest.. I realize even more that I am hardly interested....
I have many other subjects of interest and my own areas of """"expertise""""

But hey, I promise I won't ask any more questions of this nature...
end

Last edited:
Back