Multi-Zone WiiM Amp?

Hyperpower

I got a home that has speakers in 3 rooms (2 speakers per room). The speakers are passive (speaker wiring, not RCA) and I was trying to figure out how to get streaming music into each.

I get I'd need an Amp to power them... but get lost after that.

I'm looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Amp-Multiroom-Streaming-Chromecast/dp/B0CGCLXH4H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 where it would terminate and power the speakers, and be able to 'cast' to it so I can play music?

So I think I'd need 3 of them?

I think then I can use the WiiM app to group them together and cast music to room 1 (amp 1) AND room 2 (amp2) at the same time.

What if I wanted to plug in a turn table via RCA to amp1, can I share that to the different rooms (amps) somehow?

Am I understanding this right?

I got a home that has speakers in 3 rooms (2 speakers per room). The speakers are passive (speaker wiring, not RCA) and I was trying to figure out how to get streaming music into each.

I get I'd need an Amp to power them... but get lost after that.

I'm looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Amp-Multiroom-Streaming-Chromecast/dp/B0CGCLXH4H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 where it would terminate and power the speakers, and be able to 'cast' to it so I can play music?

So I think I'd need 3 of them?

I think then I can use the WiiM app to group them together and cast music to room 1 (amp 1) AND room 2 (amp2) at the same time.

What if I wanted to plug in a turn table via RCA to amp1, can I share that to the different rooms (amps) somehow?

Am I understanding this right?
Yes, I think you can do everything you want with 3 WiiM amps.

If you want to save money, you can also pair an inexpensive D-class amplifier with a WiiM mini. You will need 3 units of each.

Which streaming service do you use?

Youtube Music and Spotify.

How would I share a turn-table plugged into RCA on Amp 1 with the other amps so I could play music sourced from the record player to an amp its not connected to?

How would I share a turn-table plugged into RCA on Amp 1 with the other amps so I could play music sourced from the record player to an amp it’s not connected to?
Inside the WiiM app you just group the 3 amps together. It’s pretty easy. Then whatever you play will be synced across the three amps.
As mentioned you don’t necessarily need WiiM amps 3 x WiiM Mini and something like 3 x Topping MX3s would work out a bit cheaper. The Topping has auto power on over its digital inputs.
Note. Broadcasting a TT has some inherent latency. You can drop the needle, walk to another room and hear the needle drop. It’s weird to start off with. The 3 rooms should sync ok though.

Thanks, but can you explain how even I can take a source from AMP 1 and share it? Say I have a CD player plugged into Amp 1.. how does that signal get broadcasted out speakers plugged into Amp 2?

Thanks, but can you explain how even I can take a source from AMP 1 and share it? Say I have a CD player plugged into Amp 1.. how does that signal get broadcasted out speakers plugged into Amp 2?
Do you mean the technical aspects or are you asking what you have to do to make it happen? If it’s the latter you open the WiiM app, select device 1 then press a paper clip icon and create a sync group
IMG_6867.png

I was hoping to understand how it worked a bit.

But you're 100% saying that I can do what I'm asking "take a source from AMP 1 and share it? Say I have a CD player plugged into Amp 1, I can broadcast that to AMP 2"

Technically I think I am correct in saying that the WiiM app instructs device 1 (source) to create a web socket which presents the data as a FLAC stream and tells 2 and 3 to connect to it and play synchronously. Device 1 is acting as a web server but only serving audio files. I think it’s FLAC encoded as that would make more sense than WAV from a bandwidth point of view.

I was hoping to understand how it worked a bit.

But you're 100% saying that I can do what I'm asking "take a source from AMP 1 and share it? Say I have a CD player plugged into Amp 1, I can broadcast that to AMP 2"
To create a WiiM/Linkplay group, select the unit that has the external device connected. Then in the WiiM app devices page, choose one or more other WiiM devices you want in the group. Whatever is then fed to the first device will be distributed to the others in the group.

I will also add a question. Are all speaker cables terminated in one place? If so there are other ways of achieving multi room sync.

Technically I think I am correct in saying that the WiiM app instructs device 1 (source) to create a web socket which presents the data as a FLAC stream and tells 2 and 3 to connect to it and play synchronously. Device 1 is acting as a web server but only serving audio files. I think it’s FLAC encoded as that would make more sense than WAV from a bandwidth point of view.
I understand that Linkplay grouping has a similar receiver/distributor model as Alexa multi room - one device receives the stream and send it to the others in the group. I don’t think the others ask for it as such, but that’s maybe splitting hairs.

I understand that Linkplay grouping has a similar receiver/distributor model as Alexa multi room - one device receives the stream and send it to the others in the group. I don’t think the others ask for it as such, but that’s maybe splitting hairs.
It would imply that 2 and 3 are instructed to constantly listen for broadcasts which isn’t necessarily optimum from a network point of view. Surely the app would send a “connect” instruction and a “disconnect” at end of play?
It is however a little academic.

How would I share a turn-table plugged into RCA on Amp 1 with the other amps so I could play music sourced from the record player to an amp its not connected to?

Just one thing to note.
WiiM mini does not support Youtube music.
WiiM pro, WiiM pro plus, and WiiM amp support ChromeCast, so you can cast Youtube music. 😊

My home is configured much the same as the question above. Another configuration is to consider a multizone amp like a Russound D850 (bought mine from ebay) or AudioSource, or Sonance 8-50. I got four WiiM Pro units that connect to the amps RCA inputs. I also use the 12V triggers from the WiiM (however not really critical with amp audio sensing). Yes, each zone will require a WiiM Pro however I replaced a Russound MCA system and find this configuration much improved.

I added wall-mounted tablets to replace the POE keypads on the Russound. I really look forward to the landscape mode on the WiiM Android app however, I am mostly using the Chromecast as the standard throughout the house since I have additional Google-enabled speakers. In total, I have four WiiM Pros, two Wiim Pro Plus units, and one WiiM Amp. Also, integrated WiiM into Home Assistant.

Really happy with the multi-zone home music system. Bottom line, standardized on WiiM (and Chromecast - more concerned on Google lack of movement than WiiMs), so - please keep advancing the platform!

Back