Multi room / zone with Bluetooth possible?

stereonerd

Hi!
I learnt about WiiM while searching for a multi room / multi zone solution. It sounds like an amazing system but I'm not sure if it works how I imagine it. I would really appreciate your feedback!

Think of this potential setup:
  • Room A: DAC + amp + speakers (= my existing HiFi system) hooked up to a WiiM Pro via Toslink
  • Room B: WiiM Mini with powered speakers via Toslink or 3.5mm (depending on the speakers I will get)
Since I want to use Android audio apps, that are not natively supported, I plan to use ChromeCast and/or Bluetooth.

Now, my questions would be:
  1. Is multi room / multi zone functionality available with Bluetooth/ChromeCast as input?
  2. If yes, does it matter if the Bluetooth source is connected to the Pro or the Mini? (Example: Possible to connect via BT to WiiM Pro in room A but only(!) playing music in room B?)
  3. How does WiiM handle multiple BT devices? Do I have to pair again, every time I switch phone?
Any limitations to be aware of, with this setup?

Thank you!

Hi!
I learnt about WiiM while searching for a multi room / multi zone solution. It sounds like an amazing system but I'm not sure if it works how I imagine it. I would really appreciate your feedback!

Think of this potential setup:
  • Room A: DAC + amp + speakers (= my existing HiFi system) hooked up to a WiiM Pro via Toslink
  • Room B: WiiM Mini with powered speakers via Toslink or 3.5mm (depending on the speakers I will get)
Since I want to use Android audio apps, that are not natively supported, I plan to use ChromeCast and/or Bluetooth.

Now, my questions would be:
  1. Is multi room / multi zone functionality available with Bluetooth/ChromeCast as input?
  2. If yes, does it matter if the Bluetooth source is connected to the Pro or the Mini? (Example: Possible to connect via BT to WiiM Pro in room A but only(!) playing music in room B?)
  3. How does WiiM handle multiple BT devices? Do I have to pair again, every time I switch phone?
Any limitations to be aware of, with this setup?

Thank you!
You won't be able to play the same music to both a pro and a mini using chromecast.
You might think you could create a wiim group with the pro being the 'master' and chromecast to the pro, but the mini won't make a sound. At least, mine didn't when i tried this...
In fact, this didn't even work when I grouped two pros and tried chromecasting to the master - only the master made sound.
It did work when I created a chromecast group of two pros and cast to that (i.e. no wiim grouping in the wiim app).

Not tried bluetooth; if no one replies soonish on that I suppose I could give it a try later!

As @Mr Ee says, the WiiM mini doesn't support Chromecast. Bluetooth can be used as an input for multi-room.

1. If yes, does it matter if the Bluetooth source is connected to the Pro or the Mini? (Example: Possible to connect via BT to WiiM Pro in room A but only(!) playing music in room B?)

No or yes, The WiiM needs to go within range of the phone's Bluetooth. It is probably the master device that the phone communicates with via Bluetooth. In other words, when you are in room A, you may need to make device A the master device of the multi-room.

1. How does WiiM handle multiple BT devices? Do I have to pair again, every time I switch phone?

In my tests, the WiiM was able to pair with 4 phones.
When you switch the WiiM input to Bluetooth, it will automatically reconnect to the last phone you connected to.

Alternatively, you can switch the input with the voice control of the remote control and connect to the phone.

Okay, thanks for the help!
It's a shame that ChromeCast can only be used for Google's multi room system, it seems.

What is your music source? It might work if you can use Spotify Connect or Tidal Connect.

Actually I'm interested to know if it will. Currently I have a wiim running my speakers in my living room. I could get it driving the speakers in my TV room in parallel if it works.

What is your music source? It might work if you can use Spotify Connect or Tidal Connect.

Actually I'm interested to know if it will. Currently I have a wiim running my speakers in my living room. I could get it driving the speakers in my TV room in parallel if it works.
Yes, Spotify connect can play multi-room music. I don't have Tidal, but I should be able to connect Tidal as well.

Back