Zone 2 connection.

jacobshell74

I bought a wiim pro to use for a wireless zone 2 application. I have a Marantz 7012 and want to link 2 powered speakers in another room to play the same music as what is playing on the Marantz. Is this achieved wirelessly? If not what is the proper connection between wiim and avr? Zone 2 speakers are Klipsch fives with Bluetooth capabilities.

If I read the question correctly then yes if you have 2 x WiiM, one plugged into Marantz and the other to the Zone 2 Klipsch’s then you can sync them

What / how do you play music on the marantz? Heos?
You could get any other heos device for zone 2 and group them in the heos app.

The wiim you've bought, in zone 2, would need to sync with something (usually another wiim) that's playing music in zone 1.
i.e. in this scenario the marantz is no longer the source of the music; the wiim in zone 1 would effectively feed both the marantz (e.g. via optical or coax) and the zone 2 wiim over your wifi. The zone 2 wiim (which could be a mini) could then feed the Fives via optical.

Usually YouTube music as well as phono for vinyl coming from avr. And of course movies and shows, but that isn't necessary for zone 2. Haven't tried heos yet. Would I need heos speakers?

Usually YouTube music as well as phono for vinyl coming from avr. And of course movies and shows, but that isn't necessary for zone 2. Haven't tried heos yet. Would I need heos speakers?
Heos is basically a streamer / app solution (baked into many marantz and denon products) in the same way that a wiim and the wiim home app are.
If you're not using heos now for streaming music then maybe ignore me!!
However, no, you don't need heos speakers as such, just a product like a cheap marantz amp or the (discontinued?) heos link that supports heos so you can group it with your current avr.
tbh, I don't know whether that would still only allow you to stream music played via the heos app (or music sent to the heos streamer) to the 2nd zone. Been quite some time since I used my heos devices for multiroom, and back then it was probably just spotify anyway.

Vinyl...
I note the 7012 has a MM phone stage. I'm assuming you use it for your turntable.
If you were to use wiim to send this to zone 2 then you'd need to connect the turntable to the pro. The pro does not have a phone stage, so you'd either need to use your turntable's line output (and thus inbuilt stage) if it has one, or get a suitable phono stage.

Back