Wiim to Wiim streaming

jdjung

I have KEF LS 50 Wireless 2 speakers but heard that Wiim to the Kefs may stream AAC lossy not Apple CD quality. Is this true? If so, if I bought a second Wiim, will the wireless stream between the Wiims be lossless(CD quality)?

I have KEF LS 50 Wireless 2 speakers but heard that Wiim to the Kefs may stream AAC lossy not Apple CD quality. Is this true? If so, if I bought a second Wiim, will the wireless stream between the Wiims be lossless(CD quality)?
Wiim multiroom streaming is lossless.
Can't recall the max sample rate / bit depth supported (48/16 ??), but CD quality, yes.
Someone will give you the real numbers ;)

Caveat: depending on the source, obviously!
If you are streaming Apple Music or using airplay then all bets are off.

Last edited:
Do you mean using its ability to output via Airplay to the Kefs? Have to ask why you would do that any way rather than plug it in via coax or optical.

Do you mean using its ability to output via Airplay to the Kefs? Have to ask why you would do that any way rather than plug it in via coax or optical.
Because I'm using the analog inputs from the Wiim to wirelessly stream. I have a lot of knowledge on audio, know about direct connection being better quality, I just need to know this simple question. Does streaming using the analog input from one Wiim stream lossless quality audio to another Wiim. I.e. CD player/turntable to Wiim Pro -> 2nd Wiim Pro -> Kef Wireless 2, LS50. I can't directly connect the source to the Kefs thus the Wiim could be the solution if it is lossless.

Wiim multiroom streaming is lossless.
Can't recall the max sample rate / bit depth supported (48/16 ??), but CD quality, yes.
Someone will give you the real numbers ;)

Caveat: depending on the source, obviously!
If you are streaming Apple Music or using airplay then all bets are off.
What is multi room streaming? The source is the Wiim analog input to cast to another Wiim device, is this lossless?

What is multi room streaming? The source is the Wiim analog input to cast to another Wiim device, is this lossless?
Multi room streaming is just when you group two or more wiims so that they are all playing the same music - in multiple rooms.
If your source is, for example, a cd quality track from tidal or a cd quality digital input then it will be streamed losslessly to the other wiims.
If the source is > 48/16 then I believe it's resampled to that then sent to the other wiims. Some would argue that this downsampling is basically lossless ;)

The analog input is always digitised, and can then be sent to the other wiims.
Lossless doesn't really apply to an analog input.

Back