WiiM Pro Plus streaming 24-bit 44.1 kHz distorted sound issue (Qobuz)

akasnik

Hello,

I am a new owner of a WiiM Pro Plus device and as after a few weeks I didn't get any resolution from WiiM support (ticket 494300), I am taking a shot at describing my issue here as well.

My problem is that some songs streamed from Qobuz have distorted sound - "cracks and pops" while playing. All songs where this is happening are in 24-bit and with 44.1 kHz sample rate. Playing 24-bit songs with higher kHz (48 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz) sound is great without distortion. Also, 16-bit 44.1 kHz songs have no issue.

I connect WiiM Pro to Platin Stereo Hub (WiSA HT Stereo Hub – Platin Audio, which supports up to 24-bit 192 kHz) via optical TOSlink. The same issue happens via Coax output as well. I tried with different TOSlink/Coax cables and the result is the same. I am aware that a workaround is to set my SPDIF or Coax output to 16-bit on WiiM, but I want to listen to the best quality I can get from Qobuz.

As for DAC, I am using Buchardt Audio A10 Active speakers with built-in DAC (Anniversary 10 - A10 Active Wireless Speakers – Buchardt Audio) which are connected to Platin Stereo Hub. WiiM is updated to the latest version and I have EQ disabled on WiiM. Here is one of the tracks where I observed this: https://open.qobuz.com/track/22495050, as mentioned this happens with all songs that stream in this same quality (24-bit, 44kHz).

Anyone with the same issue with using Qobuz or an idea for a solution?

Thank you,
Andrej

While waiting for others to try / respond (I have neither qobuz or a pro plus), do you have another dac/amp/speakers to try the pro analog output or another dac?
It also sounds like you tried setting the wiim to 16 bit output, and this worked.

i.e. is the issue with the pro, or the active speakers? Do the speakers not handle 44.1/24 for some reason?

I have a similar issue with the platin hub/A10 - distortion and clicks over spdif/coax when streaming from 3 different squeezebox devices (don't have a WiiM atm), The devices that fail are touch/transporter/SB2 with sources (via logitech media server) local 16/44.1 flac and qobuz; spotify is OK. The squeezebox devices work fine with two other DAC/amps I have (SMSL Q5 pro / Denon AVR X2600H). If I switch the streaming device to SqueezeAMP (ESP32 based streamer limited to 16bit/96kHz) or MiBox4 (Android/Chromecast) I don't get the distortion. If I use the touch with USB into the platin hub it's also distortion free. Buchardt replaced the platin hub, but there's no change. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Platin Hub - @akasnik what version firmware is your hub running, and have you contacted Buchardt support? BTW my hub/firmware is System version: 515, Streaming chipset version: 15262, cast version: 1.52.272222, Summit version:208.2-US

I have a similar issue with the platin hub/A10 - distortion and clicks over spdif/coax when streaming from 3 different squeezebox devices (don't have a WiiM atm), The devices that fail are touch/transporter/SB2 with sources (via logitech media server) local 16/44.1 flac and qobuz; spotify is OK. The squeezebox devices work fine with two other DAC/amps I have (SMSL Q5 pro / Denon AVR X2600H). If I switch the streaming device to SqueezeAMP (ESP32 based streamer limited to 16bit/96kHz) or MiBox4 (Android/Chromecast) I don't get the distortion. If I use the touch with USB into the platin hub it's also distortion free. Buchardt replaced the platin hub, but there's no change. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Platin Hub - @akasnik what version firmware is your hub running, and have you contacted Buchardt support? BTW my hub/firmware is System version: 515, Streaming chipset version: 15262, cast version: 1.52.272222, Summit version:208.2-US
Hey lostboy,

I run the same versions of Platin Hub as you. I opened a ticket with Bucahrdt as well, and after a few tests, Mads suggested opening a ticket with Platin Hub. I did, but unfortunately, I have not heard back from them yet. It is a weird issue for me as I only observe it with specific stream quality/bitrate, but it is repeatable as I can reproduce it. It's frustrating as I am not able to narrow down where the issue exactly is and whether it's a faulty component or an issue that others are facing as well and could be fixed via update. As you are facing a similar issue, it might be a general issue/bug with software somewhere and not a faulty component at the end.

I'm having the same crackling/pops while using Qobuz. RCA out to amplifier.
This is interesting, when I tried RCA (Wiim Pro) -> RCA (Platin Hub) connection there was no crackling for me, I only observe it with coax/spdif (digital) connection when WiiM Pro is used solely as a streaming device.

Some how the Platin hub doesn't dig the 44.1/24bit input from the Pro. I haven't had a problem With my dac on any frame rate. Are you using the equalizer and volume control? If so disable both to see wether it makes a difference.

Some how the Platin hub doesn't dig the 44.1/24bit input from the Pro. I haven't had a problem With my dac on any frame rate. Are you using the equalizer and volume control? If so disable both to see wether it makes a difference.
I have both disabled, no difference...

Back