24 Bit / 192 kHz SPDIF optical output issue.

JazzBohemian

Hello, I have purchased a Wiim Pro Plus and despite trying it on two devices that support 24 Bit / 192 kHz via the optical output, I am unable to get a 24 bit / 192 kHz output. I can only get output up to 96 kHz. When I play the 24 Bit / 192 kHz output test demo from the Wiim Pro Plus settings, I hear distorted sounds. I have tried with two different DACs and two different optical cables, but the issue persists. I read on a forum that the issue could be resolved by using a Coax output, but I don't have a Coax cable to try this. Also, if we cannot get a 192 kHz output from the optical output, why is this option available in the settings? I am awaiting your assistance. Thank you.

Also, if we cannot get a 192 kHz output from the optical output, why is this option available in the settings?
Because such a resolution can be achieved. I use it, for example.
If you cannot reach 192 kHz using properly working toslink cables connected to the DACs which are capable of receiving it, and it's confirmed, then probably something is wrong with the toslink output of your WiiM.

rappel
historicly ..the standard toslink was 96k...it has been bypassed in recent years (for professional standards)...but many "receivers" will not pass 192...

Hello, I have purchased a Wiim Pro Plus and despite trying it on two devices that support 24 Bit / 192 kHz via the optical output, I am unable to get a 24 bit / 192 kHz output. I can only get output up to 96 kHz. When I play the 24 Bit / 192 kHz output test demo from the Wiim Pro Plus settings, I hear distorted sounds. I have tried with two different DACs and two different optical cables, but the issue persists. I read on a forum that the issue could be resolved by using a Coax output, but I don't have a Coax cable to try this. Also, if we cannot get a 192 kHz output from the optical output, why is this option available in the settings? I am awaiting your assistance. Thank you.
You can use the RCA cable that comes with the WiiM instead of the coaxial cable. Test it out.

Can you please post the model name of your DAC here?

Koaksiyel kablo yerine WiiM ile birlikte gelen RCA kablosunu kullanabilirsiniz. Test edin.

Lütfen DAC'ınızın model adını buraya gönderebilir misiniz?
Quad CDP-2'nin (optik) dijital girişinden bağlı değilim ama çalışmıyor. Ayrıca M2 Tech Hiface Dac'ın dijital girişinden hala çalışmıyor. İki ayrı optik kablom var, biri hali hazırda Wiim pro plus cihazdan çıkan kablo, diğeri ise farklı marka optik kablo.

Would the RCA cable that comes out of the Wiim pro device be suitable instead of a coaxial cable? After all, isn't this RCA cable an analog cable intended for Line Out?

halatla inme
tarihsel olarak ..standart toslink 96k idi...son yıllarda atlandı (profesyonel standartlar için)...ancak birçok "alıcı" 192'yi geçemeyecek...
Nispeten daha eski iki DAC'im var, ancak her iki DAC de 24 bit / 192 kHz'de çalışabilir. Mesela M2Tech Hiface Evo ve DAC ürünlerim var. Hiface Evo'yu USB üzerinden bilgisayarıma bağladığımda Is2 portundan Evo DAC'a çıkış vererek analog çıkışlardan 192 kHz çıkış alabiliyorum. Optik girişleri destekleyip desteklemediğini merak ediyorum. Ürün özelliklerinde bundan bahsedilmiyor.

I liked the reviews of the Wiim Pro Plus and bought this product. I intended to use this device only as a streamer and connect it to the Denafrips Ares 12 device via its digital outputs to use it as a source. I have ordered the Denafrips Ares 12 device but it has not arrived yet. I also ordered a good digital cable, the AudioQuest Cinnamon OptiLink Toslink High End Digital Cable 0.75m, which has not arrived yet. Only the Wiim Pro Plus has arrived so far, and I couldn't get a 192 kHz output when I tried using my old optical cable and its own optical cable to connect it to the digital input of the Quad CDP2 and separately to my M2Tech Hiface Dac. I am concerned that I will face the same issue when my new orders arrive. If I can't get a 192 kHz output, it will be a major disappointment.

Quad CDP-2'nin (optik) dijital girişinden bağlı değilim ama çalışmıyor. Ayrıca M2 Tech Hiface Dac'ın dijital girişinden hala çalışmıyor. İki ayrı optik kablom var, biri hali hazırda Wiim pro plus cihazdan çıkan kablo, diğeri ise farklı marka optik kablo.

The DAC of the quad CDP-2 appears to be 24/96.

I think it is possible to do coaxial audio testing with RCA cables.

I'm not sure what is causing your problem but I am able to successfully stream (from Amazon Music) at 192kHz from my WiiM Pro Plus to my Audiolab 7000A Amp which has a hires DAC (ESS ES9038Q2M chip) using an old Optical cable. Hopefully your new DAC will solve the problem, if not perhaps it's a fault on your WiiM. Good luck solving it.

I liked the reviews of the Wiim Pro Plus and bought this product. I intended to use this device only as a streamer and connect it to the Denafrips Ares 12 device via its digital outputs to use it as a source. I have ordered the Denafrips Ares 12 device but it has not arrived yet. I also ordered a good digital cable, the AudioQuest Cinnamon OptiLink Toslink High End Digital Cable 0.75m, which has not arrived yet. Only the Wiim Pro Plus has arrived so far, and I couldn't get a 192 kHz output when I tried using my old optical cable and its own optical cable to connect it to the digital input of the Quad CDP2 and separately to my M2Tech Hiface Dac. I am concerned that I will face the same issue when my new orders arrive. If I can't get a 192 kHz output, it will be a major disappointment.
You'll have to try, as other said, older DACs are limited to 96kHz because that used the be considered toslink limit. Nothing to do with the WiiM. That said any difference you can perceive between 96 and 192 is likely to be placebo effect :)

It does indeed seem that neither of your current dacs support more than 96khz on optical.
There's no harm in trying (half of) the supplied rca cable from the wiim coax digital out to your dac's coax in.
I'd fully expect the optical to work up to 192 with the denafrips.

I bet you can't wait.. :)
Well, I know you can't, hence trying it now and being very disappointed!
Let us know how it goes.

I have the same issue with a Pro running into a Naim DAC. No go at 192/24 on the optical but fine on the Co-Ax. I originally bought the Pro as a back up to my ND5XS as Naim had been having V-Tuner issues earlier in the year. However, I'm now finding that the Pro is well up to, and if not better sounding to me, the ND5XS in streaming through the DAC. The rest of my system is NAC202, NAP250 and B&W 804s plus PSU's - mostly streaming of a Synology NAS with Minimwatch transcoding to 24/96 as required.

I have the same issue with a Pro running into a Naim DAC. No go at 192/24 on the optical but fine on the Co-Ax. I originally bought the Pro as a back up to my ND5XS as Naim had been having V-Tuner issues earlier in the year. However, I'm now finding that the Pro is well up to, and if not better sounding to me, the ND5XS in streaming through the DAC. The rest of my system is NAC202, NAP250 and B&W 804s plus PSU's - mostly streaming of a Synology NAS with Minimwatch transcoding to 24/96 as required.
If the Naim ND5 XS is the DAC you connect your WiiM to, then you shouldn't be too surprised:

IMG_20240404_155922.jpg

That's from the specs of the current model ND5 XS 2. If this model is limited to 24 bit/96 kHz then I doubt the first generation could do better.

If the Naim ND5 XS is the DAC you connect your WiiM to, then you shouldn't be too surprised:

View attachment 6129

That's from the specs of the current model ND5 XS 2. If this model is limited to 24 bit/96 kHz then I doubt the first generation could do better.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear but I am connecting the Pro straight into the Naim nDAC which is a separate unit to the ND5XS. The specs of the nDAC are below so it should be good to handle the 192/24.

Attachments

• IMG_4726.jpeg
    IMG_4726.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 9
The Denafrips will likely be able to achieve 24/192 through optical connection. I have the Musician Draco which is a related DAC. The optical connection achieves 24/192. Unfortunately the coaxial connection between the Wiim pro and the Draco only gets up to 24/96. I was able to achieve 24/192 over coaxial with other sources to the Draco but not with the Wiim. I'd be curious to know how you get on with the Denafrips at 24/192 through the coaxial input.

The DAC of the quad CDP-2 appears to be 24/96.

I think it is possible to do coaxial audio testing with RCA cables.
When I connected the RCA cable that came with the Wiim Pro Plus as Coaxial to the M2 Tech Evo Dac, I was able to get a 192 kHz output. However, I couldn't get it with the Quad Cdp2. It is confirmed that the Quad supports up to 96 kHz. Additionally, it has become clear that there is no issue with the Wiim Pro Plus providing at least a 196 kHz output as Coaxial. Now, I am waiting for my Denafrips device to arrive. I am curious about how the performance will be when using the Wiim Pro Plus and Denafrips Ares 12 together. My Pre Amp is the Quad Qc24 with tubes, my Power Amp is the Quad 909, and my Speakers are the tower type Quad 22L2 with upgraded internal wiring using Cardas.

Sorununuza neyin sebep olduğundan emin değilim ancak eski bir Optik kablo kullanarak WiiM Pro Plus cihazımdan kiralık DAC'ye (ESS ES9038Q2M çipi) sahip Audiolab 7000A Amp cihazıma 192kHz'de başarılı bir şekilde (Amazon Music'ten) akış gerçekleştirebiliyorum. Umarım yeni DAC'niz sorunu çözecektir, değilse de WiiM'inizde bir hata olabilir. Çözmede iyi şanslar.

Diğerlerinin söylediği gibi, eski DAC'lerin 96kHz ile sınırlı olduğunu denemeniz gerekecek çünkü bu, toslink sınırı olarak kabul ediliyor. WiiM'le alakası yok. Bu, 96 ile 192 arasında algılayabileceğiniz herhangi bir farkın muhtemelen plasebo etkisi olduğunu söyledi.:)

Back