Room-Level Control in Whole House Audio Setup

rinyk

I'm tweaking my home audio system and could use some advice. Here's my current setup:
  • WiiM Pro hooked up to my 2x Russound D1650's bus inputs, feeding all zones (32 Channels/16 Zones total)
  • WiiM Mini connected to my turntable (input) and powered speakers (output).
I'm loving the ability to stream the turntable audio throughout the house using the WiiM Mini and Pro combo, or swap whole house/powered speakers to streaming. But, I want to control the audio source and volume for each room (or zone) separately. I know I could just get a WiiM for each zone, using the zone level inputs, but that feels like overkill.

Any recommendations? Maybe there's a smarter way to set this up without a WiiM for every room.

Hi Rinyk - Well, for what its worth, I have 7 Wiim Pros feeding a single Russound D1650 going to 10 zones. Overall this seems to work pretty well, sometimes it's a bit cumbersome in the Wiim App linking "zones" together... just takes a a bit I guess. One item is that on the "Link" screen, the max number of Wiim's shown is 6, after that you have to scroll up. Also, I've tried to number the zones to get them to display in a certain order, but the App doesn't seem to want to play fair in that way. Overall, not a huge deal, but it seems like the App isn't as friendly in the scenario of a lot of Wiim's.

I've went through numerous hours of deliberation and debate about how best to set this up. But this is what I ended up doing.

Sometimes I think the 7 Wiims are overkill, just as you think, but I don't want channels on the amp running unnecessarily if no one is the zone ... I think that's my biggest reason for having one Wiim per each zone (or two in some cases).

So I'm not much help, but this has been my approach.

Can't wait to get a couple of the Wiim Amps though to take some of the burden off the D1650!

Overall very happy with the Wiim's and the D1650.

Hi Rinyk - Well, for what its worth, I have 7 Wiim Pros feeding a single Russound D1650 going to 10 zones. Overall this seems to work pretty well, sometimes it's a bit cumbersome in the Wiim App linking "zones" together... just takes a a bit I guess. One item is that on the "Link" screen, the max number of Wiim's shown is 6, after that you have to scroll up. Also, I've tried to number the zones to get them to display in a certain order, but the App doesn't seem to want to play fair in that way. Overall, not a huge deal, but it seems like the App isn't as friendly in the scenario of a lot of Wiim's.

I've went through numerous hours of deliberation and debate about how best to set this up. But this is what I ended up doing.

Sometimes I think the 7 Wiims are overkill, just as you think, but I don't want channels on the amp running unnecessarily if no one is the zone ... I think that's my biggest reason for having one Wiim per each zone (or two in some cases).

So I'm not much help, but this has been my approach.

Can't wait to get a couple of the Wiim Amps though to take some of the burden off the D1650!

Overall very happy with the Wiim's and the D1650.
Do you have all the Wiims local to the D1650? I'm curious how the realtime latency tracking works (or doesn't) with Wiims in different rooms than the speakers?

Back