Multichannel to 2.0 Downmix?

hdmkv

Discovered WiiM Amp doesn't support playing multichannel 7.1 and 5.1 FLAC downmixed to 2.0. Unless there's a setting that allows this that I'm missing? If not, hope WiiM seriously considers adding this functionality. Hoping not to have to re-rip all my SACD's and Blu-ray Audio discs. Thanks.

Nope, not with WiiM Amp. It outputs garbled audio.

If you mean re-rip source (discs) to 2.0, yes, can do so, but trying to avoid this. I mean most devices/receivers/amps can downmix to 2.0.

Love the WiiM Amp so far, but my two nags are lack of DSD support (why I converted all my DSF and DFF files to FLAC in the first place) and more so inability to downmix MCH FLAC to 2.0.

Probably needed decoders would that be freeware to wiim? Presumably DTS decoders won't be.

Not an expert by any means, but assume an update would be needed to the DSP Amp is using to map 7.1 and 5.1 into 2.0.

Not an expert by any means, but assume an update would be needed to the DSP Amp is using to map 7.1 and 5.1 into 2.0.
Best asking WiiM directly about that by raising a ticket thru the feedback section in the WiiM Home app. If and until they agree to provide such an update, you may need to look for some server based solution that will do the transcoding and send the WiiM an audio file format it does support.

Just did so, thanks. Any suggestions for a server side music manager that can transcode MCH to stereo? I'm currently using Synology with Audio Station app, and all it gives is:
synology.jpg

Woo-hoo... figured it out with Synology and choosing downsampling option with Media Server app instead. 7.1 & 5.1 now play properly in 2.0...
synology_mediaserver.jpg

Bah... too quick to celebrate. This downsamples everything to CD 16bit/44.1kHz quality.

Roon will do this for you but currently Wiim Amp is not Roon Ready so would only work over Chromecast or its Squeezelite zone.

Thanks. Roon is too pricey. Searching for a decent Synology-compatible option.

Have started re-ripping MCH discs' stereo versions.
you can do a bulk conversion I believe using dbPowerAmp’s audio convertor if you can’t find a some server software that can transcode on the fly. Check out JRiver MediaCentre - it might do that too.

Thank you @Brantome, you've been helpful. I'm halfway re-ripping my 44 discs, and it looks like having the real stereo version off these discs is still better than any downmixing algorithm in software or hardware.

Back