Snake oil update! šŸ

Just as I derived pleasure out of cracking early BBC microcomputer games to get the passwords for each level rather than playing the games, some get pleasure out of tweaking hi fiā€¦
A BBC - high end unit in its day. I had to make do with a Sinclair Spectrum playing Monty Mole!

Anybody using ifi spdif purifier with coax only on WiiM pro plus or pro ? How do you connect it ? Directly to the WiiM coax output or directly to the dacā€™s coax in ?

A BBC - high end unit in its day. I had to make do with a Sinclair Spectrum playing Monty Mole!

Manic Miner FTW!

I also liked Ghostbusters, as it did that really cool thing where it managed to actually play the word "Ghostbusters" through the built-in speaker instead of simple tones. That, to a tiny child, was truly amazing.

Reactions: SWM
Anybody using ifi spdif purifier with coax only on WiiM pro plus or pro ? How do you connect it ? Directly to the WiiM coax output or directly to the dacā€™s coax in ?
i'm using it with optical in + optical out. but to answer your question, there is no way to connect the S/PDIF ipurifier input directly to the WiiM coax output, cos they are both female ports??! šŸ˜µā€šŸ’« you'd still need a cable in between.

you can connect the ipurifier's coax OUT directly into a preamp/amp cos that side is a male port.

Do some of you ACTUALLY listen to music or just your electronics! No offense to anyone but it seems some of you are so OCD you either invent improvements or are just wasting precious time!
To each their own but come on people ....it's a tool nothing more!
haha, no sometimes i just read the sheet music + the frequency response curves for my speakers and imagine what it would sound like in my head. isn't that what you do?? šŸ¤”

other days when i'm feeling more "digital" i just read the raw I2S data coming out of my streamer while i'm hooked up to my amplifier's analog output via banana plugs! šŸ¤£

haha, no sometimes i just read the sheet music + the frequency response curves for my speakers and imagine what it would sound like in my head. isn't that what you do?? šŸ¤”

other days when i'm feeling more "digital" i just read the raw I2S data coming out of my streamer while i'm hooked up to my amplifier's analog output via banana plugs! šŸ¤£
Good to read "banana" in this context ;-)

i'm using it with optical in + optical out. but to answer your question, there is no way to connect the S/PDIF ipurifier input directly to the WiiM coax output, cos they are both female ports??! šŸ˜µā€šŸ’« you'd still need a cable in between.

you can connect the ipurifier's coax OUT directly into a preamp/amp cos that side is a male port.

Thanks for your answer! So WiiM coax out - coax cable - purifier coax in and finally purifier coax out male to female dacā€™s input .

I have qed performance coaxial and given that my dac likes coaxial better than optical I am thinking if purifier will bring improvements or a better coax cableā€¦

I have already connected modem/router with qed performance Ethernet to netgear gs108e v3 switch and from switch a Supra cat 8 Ethernet to ifi lan silencer which is directly connected to pro plus lan port . Already have ifi power x feeding WiiM and AudioQuest power strip . And Supra lorad 2.5 spc power cable for amp . I donā€™t want to change speakers , or buy a dac or amp . Just further tweaking is what I am interested.

What I am thinking is AudioQuest carbon coaxial or qed reference digital 40 coax or purifier.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer! So WiiM coax out - coax cable - purifier coax in and finally purifier coax out male to female dacā€™s input .

I have qed performance coaxial and given that my dac likes coaxial better than optical I am thinking if purifier will bring improvements or a better coax cableā€¦

I have already connected modem/router with qed performance Ethernet to netgear gs108e v3 switch and from switch a Supra cat 8 Ethernet to ifi lan silencer which is directly connected to pro plus lan port . Already have ifi power x feeding WiiM and AudioQuest power strip . And Supra lorad 2.5 spc power cable for amp . I donā€™t want to change speakers , or buy a dac or amp . Just further tweaking is what I am interested.

What I am thinking is AudioQuest carbon coaxial or qed reference digital 40 coax or purifier.
I'm guessing that the ipurifier will probably have a bigger impact than switching coax cables... but i haven't actually tested this myself.

i might actually test coax out from WiiM into the S/PDIF ipurifier with optical to my active speakers to compare it to the all-toslink route i have currently. šŸ¤” share your experiences here whatever you decide to tweak, anyways, it's helpful to the rest of us tweakers! šŸ™

out of interest - have you A/B tested the QED and Supra ethernet cables vs "standard" ones? did they make a significant impact on SQ? what about the LAN iSilencer? i'm considering getting some sort of galvanic isolator for my ethernet connection into the WiiM

I'm guessing that the ipurifier will probably have a bigger impact than switching coax cables... but i haven't actually tested this myself.

i might actually test coax out from WiiM into the S/PDIF ipurifier with optical to my active speakers to compare it to the all-toslink route i have currently. šŸ¤” share your experiences here whatever you decide to tweak, anyways, it's helpful to the rest of us tweakers! šŸ™

out of interest - have you A/B tested the QED and Supra ethernet cables vs "standard" ones? did they make a significant impact on SQ? what about the LAN iSilencer? i'm considering getting some sort of galvanic isolator for my ethernet connection into the WiiM

I have only a/b the Ethernet from modem to switch with a ugreen and another cheap and ugreen was better and qed even better . The lan silencer made a big difference in sweetening the high frequency and the switch made a difference in overall clarity . Initially I had Supra connected to a WiFi to Ethernet bridge from tp link with good results but not the same as now . Now is much better .Connecting straight from modem to WiiM is much worse . So yes lan silencer is a no brainer and its most effective position is in WiiMā€™s lan port

I have only a/b the Ethernet from modem to switch with a ugreen and another cheap and ugreen was better and qed even better . The lan silencer made a big difference in sweetening the high frequency and the switch made a difference in overall clarity . Initially I had Supra connected to a WiFi to Ethernet bridge from tp link with good results but not the same as now . Now is much better .Connecting straight from modem to WiiM is much worse . So yes lan silencer is a no brainer and its most effective position is in WiiMā€™s lan port
wow interesting. so you noticed further benefits from adding to the LAN silencer even though you already had a pretty low-noise network implementation? hmm.

it's also interesting to hear that you prefer this current network setup to the TP link repeater setup... i'm currently exploring the WLAN repeater (in bridge/client mode) solution myself, and some of us on other forums are experimenting with ferrite choke cores or ferrite throttles on some "standard" shielded ethernet cables. haven't tried any audiophile ones yet, but i might look into it... šŸ¤”

I would be quite interested in the results of a test of the coaxial config on the ifi spdif purifier. I use delock ethernet isolation devices on all the ethernet connections of music streamers I have. They are a bit cheaper, but they not specifically designed for audio use. Happy with the results with them installed

That's what I thought!

Haha, yeh so true! šŸ¤£ There are some limitations, though, when you are designing a product for a lower price point, that limit its performance...

For example - cheaping out on a clock crystal or its implementation in the device... šŸ¤” I and some others believe that the master clock is especially important in the digital chain if toslink is used to send data to your DAC - since the sending device's clock is the master.

The Pro Plusā€™ internal DAC jitter performance. Remember the threshold for human hearing distortion (proven many time in controlled double bling testing) is -115dB. In other words, look at the spike in the middle - thatā€™s what youā€™re supposed to hear. Thatā€™s set to 0 at its peak, so all the other information you see is quieter than that by the scale on the left. Youā€™ll see that all jitter distortion is greater than 130dB below the signal. So completely and proveably inaudible.

IMG_1631.png

Last edited:
We really need to get over this idea that high performance has to be expensive.

Yes, in some cases it does. But in others it doesnā€™t.

The bottom line is that thereā€™s a limit to what humans can and canā€™t hear. In some cases, avoiding some of the nasties we can hear is both difficult and expensive, sometimes due to the cost of build quality, materials, and labour costs if the creation is labour intensive and requires a high level of skill (and hence pay).

But DACs do not require expensive parts - even the clocks you described are cheap, and their manufacture is largely automated. Design to eliminate issues, once done for the first time, is easily replicable in newer models.

Itā€™s very, very difficult indeed for us humans to accept that we can get perfection on the cheap, because so often we just canā€™t; we have to pay, and pay well. And if thatā€™s what we have to do, then thatā€™s what we have to do.

But when a cheap solution is found, as we have with DACs, it really is astonishing for people to scramble around looking for reasons that we have to pay more than is required.

Back