SONOS announced major updates to app

BowsAndArrows

Major Contributor
Sonos has launched some major updates to their app with a focus on UX and maintaining their lead in this area over competitors!

I think! WiiM needs to move in this direction - things like universal search that works properly, web app that can be run on any device, and of course the way sonos manages favourites and metadata... 🤔

If it gets to you, can you let us know what you think here?
Thanks in advance. 😊

And I'm in favor of @BowsAndArrows. 🤗
Will do.

The older I get the more accepting I've become with the current apps for LMS, Wiim and Sonos.

I fear that the new Sonos app is going to look pretty but probably as cluttered as Spotify with too many items crammed onto a screen. We shall see.

Every re design of Apps I've seen in recent years, with the exception of the very nice WiiM app has put the appearance first and functionality second.

Windows 11 is such an example of a massive UI misstep with an "upgrade".

When will companies understand that people use their app to achieve a goal, not to share how pretty it looks.

If I wanted something pretty, I'd look at some artwork, not an app.

Every re design of Apps I've seen in recent years, with the exception of the very nice WiiM app has put the appearance first and functionality second.

When will companies understand that people use their app to achieve a goal, not to share how pretty it looks.

yeh, i agree... but then again, most apps, and if you think about it (even device manufacturers) are incentivised to keep you lost in their interfaces - hooked to your screen for as long as possible. so this is why you've seen this gradual but, over time, really noticeable shift towards aesthetics etc over raw functionality. (damn, i miss my touchscreen BlackBerry Z10 so much EVERY DAY when using these crappy iOS and android interfaces! even though they copied a lot of the cool features like swipe gestures etc - they don't come CLOSE to the fluidity of the UX... 😡)

it's not even just phones - cars these days are just completely ommitting buttons for really important functions in lieu of touchscreens and other garbage. 🤦‍♂️ just cos the car looks cooler in photos to them, and because it's cheaper than designing an actually functional physical array of buttons and screens... 🤷‍♂️

that's why i don't understand why there's nobody in the market except for SONOS trying legitimately to compete with Roon. for years i thought BluOS would do it - with their network of manufacturers etc. but nobody really seems interested in providing a reasonably priced alternative that can appeal equally to casual users and audiophools... 🤔

i still think a WiiM Home App - pro version could be a viable thing - make these premium features available for like $10-15 a year. or give hardware owners a possibility of lifetime subscription as well - etc. seems like there's also no real innovation happening with new business models anymore!! like what the hell people? there are many ways to experiment with monetisation 😵‍💫

I personally hate the "pro" moniker in general, I get that the pro is better than the non pro, indeed I own a "pro plus", however pro used to mean professional grade, and nothing the vast majority of "pro" products is suited to professional tasks, and the real professional grade equipment isn't called "pro".

Subscription models are fine for people who like them, however I'm reminded of a certain car maker who wanted to charge monthly for heated seats...

I generally agree with you. The most important thing for me is not looks. And I'm not going to deny that the WiiM app is very nice. However, I feel that some basic aspects have been neglected. In particular, there is room for improvement in the search and MRM operability. Also, there should be a more efficient way to operate with shortcut and preset.

They should be able to rebuild the app and make it better. I'd love to see WiiM always striving to be on the cutting edge. 🤗

well, the real truth is that it costs money to keep services like this running and up to date. not to mention launch new features etc. and with software, many of us are tired of the Free(mium)* silicon valley model where you are essentially the product being sold to advertisers... i'm not saying it's for everyone or that everyone is willing to pay for services like this.

(and i agree with you about cars. but hi-fi is not loaded with as many "mission-critical" controls as in a car. so by definition it's a luxury as opposed to a necessity/safety feature.)

i just think it would be nice to have somebody fill the gap between Free, Freemium and Roon. like, surely some company can squeeze out enough cash to be profitable without charging an arm and a leg?? + as i said - maybe experimenting with different monetisation strategies would also be cool 🤷‍♂️

well, the real truth is that it costs money to keep services like this running and up to date. not to mention launch new features etc. and with software, many of us are tired of the Free(mium)* silicon valley model where you are essentially the product being sold to advertisers... i'm not saying it's for everyone or that everyone is willing to pay for services like this.

(and i agree with you about cars. but hi-fi is not loaded with as many "mission-critical" controls as in a car. so by definition it's a luxury as opposed to a necessity/safety feature.)

i just think it would be nice to have somebody fill the gap between Free, Freemium and Roon. like, surely some company can squeeze out enough cash to be profitable without charging an arm and a leg?? + as i said - maybe experimenting with different monetisation strategies would also be cool 🤷‍♂️
I do not want to be the subject of some monetisation strategy experiment 😝

Sonos are very good at what they do.

But you end up tied to either their smart speakers, or their astonishingly overpriced and underspecced amp.

They only thing they really have in common with WiiM is the ability to link different products around the house, but I sometimes wonder just how many people throw a party, and how often, to utilise this function.

But you end up tied to either their smart speakers, or their astonishingly overpriced and underspecced amp.

They only thing they really have in common with WiiM is the ability to link different products around the house, but I sometimes wonder just how many people throw a party, and how often, to utilise this function.
Currently, I mainly use Spotify connect, but I still use WHA almost every day for MRM links. It's not for a party, it's just a routine thing. And there are probably a lot of users who use WHA as a player. (I think there are many Amazon users in particular.)

As a matter of fact, even if relatives and friends gather at my house, it is unlikely that I will play music on WiiM. 😅 (This is also related to the habit of my country.)

Sonos produces devices which 'fit' easily into the domestic environment (they don't look like parts salvaged from an aircraft cockpit). Once set up they are easy to use and the control app doesn't encourage endless fiddling or tweaking😁. The list of media sources is by far the biggest in the business. 5 million units sold per year suggests they know what they are doing.

Sonos produces devices which 'fit' easily into the domestic environment (they don't look like parts salvaged from an aircraft cockpit). Once set up they are easy to use and the control app doesn't encourage endless fiddling or tweaking😁. The list of media sources is by far the biggest in the business. 5 million units sold per year suggests they know what they are doing.

Yup, hence my “…very good at what they do…”.

My personal opinion tallies closely with yours; pretty good sound quality, close to plug & play, unobtrusive.

This article doesn't convey the total mess-up this update creates. Improved user experience? In truth, it's unusable.

A classic piece of lazy journalism.
You may indeed be right, I don't know first hand. I am heeding the advice to turn off the automatic updates and will wait and see what comes.

Back