Spotify Normalization

Davide

Hi everyone,
I need support for the WiiM Mini, which I use to stream Spotify.
In practice I can't find a way to set the normalization. When I use Spotify connect to control playback from the WiiM, the normalization setting in the settings is grayed out. And in fact between the tracks there is often a noticeable and annoying change in volume.
Maybe I'm late, but how do you set up normalization with WiiM?

Hi everyone,
I need support for the WiiM Mini, which I use to stream Spotify.
In practice I can't find a way to set the normalization. When I use Spotify connect to control playback from the WiiM, the normalization setting in the settings is grayed out. And in fact between the tracks there is often a noticeable and annoying change in volume.
Maybe I'm late, but how do you set up normalization with WiiM?
WiiM does not have a normalization function. I also use Spotify and I've never been bothered by the volume difference.🤔

WiiM does not have a normalization function. I also use Spotify and I've never been bothered by the volume difference.🤔
Volume differences between tracks exist and are unavoidable. Especially old digitized songs have a rather low volume.
It is extremely boring to have to adjust the volume at every track change. And in fact for this there is the normalization function in the client.
If such a function is missing in WiiM then I would ask for it to be introduced.

This setting is in the Spotify app. Just disconnect the App from any Spotify Connect device and check settings in app again. Now you can set volume normalization. Connect again to your device of choice and - voila.

Volume differences between tracks exist and are unavoidable. Especially old digitized songs have a rather low volume.
It is extremely boring to have to adjust the volume at every track change. And in fact for this there is the normalization function in the client.
If such a function is missing in WiiM then I would ask for it to be introduced.
It definitely doesn't work.
My app is configured to have normalization enabled, but when I choose WiiM as playback device it is not applied.
In fact, I find a notable difference in volume between songs, which when played directly from the app on my smartphone (with headphones) is not there.
The fact that the normalization setting is grayed out when I select WiiM should also mean that this feature is not applied/applicable.

It definitely doesn't work.
My app is configured to have normalization enabled, but when I choose WiiM as playback device it is not applied.
In fact, I find a notable difference in volume between songs, which when played directly from the app on my smartphone (with headphones) is not there.
The fact that the normalization setting is grayed out when I select WiiM should also mean that this feature is not applied/applicable.
Sorry for hijacking this post but have this been fixed yet? I also am having issues with the volume. Most songs pre-loudness-war era are kinda quiet. The volume changes are quite noticeable especially if you play a remastered track then an old track. For example, I can play True by Spandau Ballet, it's really loud but when playing Africa by Toto, it's a little quieter.

Sorry for hijacking this post but have this been fixed yet? I also am having issues with the volume. Most songs pre-loudness-war era are kinda quiet. The volume changes are quite noticeable especially if you play a remastered track then an old track. For example, I can play True by Spandau Ballet, it's really loud but when playing Africa by Toto, it's a little quieter.
Nothing..
I've never heard the WiiM Team mention this. Please try submit a feature request through Wiim app feedback.

Nothing to fix by Wiim as it’s a Spotify issue, Wiim is just an end point and would need to know in advance of the track playing to adjust levels. Spotify’ cloud servers in theory could take the setting from the Spotify App and apply the levels but does not.

This “issue” applies to any Spotify Connect device… BluOS, Sonos, Wiim etc.

Nothing to fix by Wiim as it’s a Spotify issue, Wiim is just an end point and would need to know in advance of the track playing to adjust levels. Spotify’ cloud servers in theory could take the setting from the Spotify App and apply the levels but does not.

This “issue” applies to any Spotify Connect device… BluOS, Sonos, Wiim etc.
Yeah, was discussed on the FB group iirc and here https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/bitperfect-vs-99-volume.1800/post-31721

This setting is in the Spotify app. Just disconnect the App from any Spotify Connect device and check settings in app again. Now you can set volume normalization. Connect again to your device of choice and - voila.
That's not correct. Normalization definitely doesn't work while you are connected via Spotify Connect. It's a known feature, bug or whatever.

SONY's network HDD player has a volume normalization, which allows to adjust the volume difference when copying songs to HDD. But can't apply this to Spotify connect.

It may be a difficult technology, but It's up to the WiiM Team to decide if that's possible. I encourage you to submit a request. 🙂

Stupid question: have you tried (or considered trying) to connect Spotify to the WiiM from the Spotify phone app via Airplay instead of Spotify Connect? I’d bet the normalization works that way.

Stupid question: have you tried (or considered trying) to connect Spotify to the WiiM from the Spotify phone app via Airplay instead of Spotify Connect? I’d bet the normalization works that way.
It probably will work, that's not the point though. You can send me an apple device so I can try.

It probably will work, that's not the point though. You can send me an apple device so I can try.
The point is…the issue is with Spotify/Tidal/Qobuz and their Connect features, not WiiM.

And it doesn’t have to be an “Apple Device”. Many non-Apple devices have Airplay capabilities. This should work using whatever Google’s iteration is called these days, too.

Back