Volume boost for Line In

HalSF

The volume of vinyl playback via the RCA line in is dramatically lower than other sources via my WiiM Amp, as others have also noted in the troubleshooting forum. A fix so that the I can play louder would be wonderful.

My setup is Audio Technica AT-VM95E MM cartdge > +40db Darlington Labs MM-5 phono preamp > WiiM Amp > 89db Paradigm Studio Reference 20 speakers.

Make this into individually adjustable gain from -6 dB to +6 dB for each input and for each preset and I'm sold.

The currently employed concept of remembering volume settings for different inputs just doesn't cut it.

Said gain control would have to be applied in the digital domain, so there are two potential drawbacks: loss of precision and the danger of digital clipping (with positive gain). In practice I think the loss of precision is negligible. The danger of digital clipping might be there in theory, but users won't apply digital gain unless the source has really low output compared to the amp's input sensitivity, so in practice and using default values there'll be no such problem.

Back