Wiim Pro Ethernet port max Mbps

WiimNoob

Major Contributor
hello and sorry in advance if this was posted already; working with an Arris Surfboard gateway modem/router; tweaking it a bit as we all do; so I am letting the ethernet port auto configure and it maxes out to 100mbps for the Wiim. I have a faster connection; I adjust the speed to 1K and it stops; reboot; phone app can't find the box. Drop it back to auto (100mbps) and it finds it. So the question is, can this device handle better than 100mbps, anyone with similar? Thanks in advance Also 2nd question; website roadmap needs updating drastically. when?

i am running 200 at one location and 100 at another. never a complaint for quality/latency and it's more than adequate for sure. just something that makes one go hmm.

hello and sorry in advance if this was posted already; working with an Arris Surfboard gateway modem/router; tweaking it a bit as we all do; so I am letting the ethernet port auto configure and it maxes out to 100mbps for the Wiim. I have a faster connection; I adjust the speed to 1K and it stops; reboot; phone app can't find the box. Drop it back to auto (100mbps) and it finds it. So the question is, can this device handle better than 100mbps, anyone with similar? Thanks in advance Also 2nd question; website roadmap needs updating drastically. when?
Just for reference, streaming 4k UHD video with Dolby Atmos requires under 30 mbps

Due to this thread I checked my actual stuff. So I think "standard" is not quite right. But 100mb for me never caused problems in music streaming. Our Unity Atom and the WiiM Pro are specified with 100 mb and the Node X with 1.000 mb.

i am running 200 at one location and 100 at another. never a complaint for quality/latency and it's more than adequate for sure. just something that makes one go hmm.
Why would it make “one go hmm”? It’s got more than enough bandwidth for the job it has to do, why overspecify a component when it’s not necessary?

Why would 100mbps cause any problems? A 192kHz / 24 bit / stereo audio stream requires exactly 9.22mbps. So (even worst case) a 10mbps connection would be enough for the Wiim. Why even discuss this?
Well... Because the faster port will let to buffer the song quicker, at least in theory?

Well... Because the faster port will let to buffer the song quicker, at least in theory?
I don’t think so. The stream is delivered in sufficiently small chunks - “chunked http” - that as long as the connection is working it wouldn’t matter in the slightest. However it does of course depend on what else is happening on the network - downloading a Red Hat dvd iso at the same time as someone is watching 4k TV etc might cause issues on a poor internet connection but far less likely when using Ethernet over WiFi.

I don’t think so. The stream is delivered in sufficiently small chunks - “chunked http” - that as long as the connection is working it wouldn’t matter in the slightest. However it does of course depend on what else is happening on the network - downloading a Red Hat dvd iso at the same time as someone is watching 4k TV etc might cause issues on a poor internet connection but far less likely when using Ethernet over WiFi.
Chunked http transfer is just one of the possibilities for streaming. Having the stream divided into small data portions does not prevent the streamer from implementing pre-buffering / pre-fetching strategies before the playback even starts along with the standard buffering. Getting the required amount of data in the shorter time simply means faster start of the playback.

Another benefit could be a faster access to the network resources, for example for metadata indexing when SMB protocol is implemented.

Another benefit could be a faster access to the network resources, for example for metadata indexing when SMB protocol is implemented.
That’s true.
It will be interesting to see how much the app slows down when that happens and how they intend to manage the cache.
I doubt it will affect me though 😀

That’s true.
It will be interesting to see how much the app slows down when that happens and how they intend to manage the cache.
I doubt it will affect me though 😀
It's still on the roadmap as I can see, but definitely I will not use it even if implemented. On the other side Node streamers use SMB for local network library, but it's 1 gbps interface here.

It's still on the roadmap as I can see, but definitely I will not use it even if implemented. On the other side Node streamers use SMB for local network library, but it's 1 gbps interface here.
As well as the 1gbps LAN they have total control of the device’s memory.
I have no experience of Bluesound Node - on the face of it an interesting device.

Till yesterday and only due to this thread I did not even know that our Nodes (two X) have this Gigabyte capability. For a relatively long period the Bluesound system was our favorite. Never was really satisfied with the internal DAC. A "feeling" I was not able to justify. But it was Roon Ready, a very important WAF here, and with an external DAC it was excellent. But, not only related to the price, with RR the little WiiM took over.

Back