YouTube Music please !

Firstly, apologies for my earlier senior moment - as pointed out by @d6jg when you use ChromeCast from your phone/tablet, you’re instructing the streaming service (in your case YouTube Music) not to send the music stream back to your phone, but to redirect it from the cloud direct to the device you’re casting to, in this case your WiiM device.

ChromeCast is typically said to be able to support streams up to 24/96, but a WiiM Pro happily supports up to 24/192.
However, this is rather a moot point with YouTube Music Premium - even when set on high quality, that’s only transmitting 256kbps lossy AAC which is a fraction of what ChromeCast can support. So using ChromeCast , there will be no further loss of quality.

If you use Bluetooth, the YouTube stream is sent from the cloud back to your phone which then uses the Bluetooth codec to compress the stream before sending it to your WiiM where the stream is decompressed and played. As Bluetooth itself is a lossy transport, it could be argued that the already lossy YouTube AAC suffers further loss of quality using that method.

Hope I’ve got it right this time - no doubt I’ll be corrected if I’ve slipped up again ;)

Last edited:
@d6jg
Ok.
Could I lose audio quality this way?

I have youtube premium on high quality.

I don't think there are network players who already have Youtube Premium installed (such as tidal spotfi etc.) correct?

Thanks a lot, I'll do some things and tell you.
I thought HEOS on Denon receivers supports YouTube Music, but just checked my newly updated HEOS app (which is way better than before), and I don't see it as an option. I wonder if they eliminated it when implementing universal search?

Last edited:
YouTube Music:

Offers over 100 million official songs.
Includes a vast array of live performances, music videos, remixes, and podcasts.
Personalized music journey tailored to individual preferences.
Discovery features to help users find new music and artists.
Allows background play and offline listening for Premium subscribers.
Integration with the broader YouTube ecosystem.
Spotify:

Boasts a library with over 100 million songs and 5 million podcasts.
Provides device versatility, available on smartphones, tablets, computers, and more.
Features like Discover Weekly and Release Radar for music discovery.
Ad-free listening, offline playback, and on-demand play with Premium.
Allows users to create and share playlists.
Spotify Connect for seamless listening across different devices.
Both platforms aim to provide a rich listening experience with a focus on personalization and discovery.
Already supported via Chromecast to all WiiM devices except the Mini.

YouTube Music:

Offers over 100 million official songs.
Includes a vast array of live performances, music videos, remixes, and podcasts.
Personalized music journey tailored to individual preferences.
Discovery features to help users find new music and artists.
Allows background play and offline listening for Premium subscribers.
Integration with the broader YouTube ecosystem.
Spotify:

Boasts a library with over 100 million songs and 5 million podcasts.
Provides device versatility, available on smartphones, tablets, computers, and more.
Features like Discover Weekly and Release Radar for music discovery.
Ad-free listening, offline playback, and on-demand play with Premium.
Allows users to create and share playlists.
Spotify Connect for seamless listening across different devices.
Both platforms aim to provide a rich listening experience with a focus on personalization and discovery.
Difference though is that Spotify make their API available to third parties, Google/YouTube not so much if at all…

Back