What speakers are you using?

I've got a pair of new Q Acoustics 3010i, no subwoofer. On 40cm high stands in a small lounge without the foam plugs in the back. I'm in my mid-sixties so hearing not the best. To me they sound quite harsh, definitely not as warm and bassy as the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s in our main room. Am thinking of placing them on our bookshelves because they are quite prominent in such a small room. There is definitely a lot of clarity in the sound though.
I have Q Acoustics 3020i. I found them a bit harsh as well. I tamed the highs a bit with the parametric EQ and now the sound is great!

My speakers hang on the wall with the rear port plugs inserted.

Thinking about a WiiM Amp for my KEF LS50 Metas in my office. They are also a bit hard to drive but it's a small room so it should not be an problem.

I want to invest in a subwoofer too.
Anyone any tip?. I mean when youre listering to music and watching movies.
Is it difficult to set up such an subwoofer? In that way you wont hear where the subwoofer is placed( cross over, gain and so on) I mean is it possible to set it up for music listening and movies watching at the same time?
How much do i have to spend?To me 500 Euro would be al litte to much im thinking about 200 or a litte more.
Thanks in advance for you,re reply.

Is it difficult to set up such an subwoofer? In that way you wont hear where the subwoofer is placed( cross over, gain and so on) I mean is it possible to set it up for music listening and movies watching at the same time?
How much do i have to spend?To me 500 Euro would be al litte to much im thinking about 200 or a litte more.
Just like any other audio equipment you can spend as much or as little as you want for a sub. I have a decent pair of floor speakers that I added a nice Velodyne sub to. It makes a difference and works well with movies too. I use the WiiM Amp with that setup and the app is pretty straight forward.
On the other hand, I have a home full of Echo devices to listen to music. I've added an Echo Sub to that mix and the Echo Sub (or any sub) makes a huge difference in rounding out the sound from the tiny Echo speakers.
Point is, you can get a decent sound out of a less than audiophile quality sub, but if you want tight refined bass you might need to invest a few more bucks.

Just like any other audio equipment you can spend as much or as little as you want for a sub. I have a decent pair of floor speakers that I added a nice Velodyne sub to. It makes a difference and works well with movies too. I use the WiiM Amp with that setup and the app is pretty straight forward.
On the other hand, I have a home full of Echo devices to listen to music. I've added an Echo Sub to that mix and the Echo Sub (or any sub) makes a huge difference in rounding out the sound from the tiny Echo speakers.
Point is, you can get a decent sound out of a less than audiophile quality sub, but if you want tight refined bass you might need to invest a few more bucks.
Thank you very much for youre reply. I think i save for some more money. Think im gonna spend a amount about 300/500. Thanks for you,re help,answer!

Thank you very much for youre reply. I think i save for some more money. Think im gonna spend an amount about 300/500. Thanks for you,re help,answer!
Note that the Echo Sub is really just designed to partner Echo devices. I did try using my echo studio as a sub but really didn’t have much success

Note that the Echo Sub is really just designed to partner Echo devices. I did try using my echo studio as a sub but really didn’t have much success
Thank for you,re advise. I have B&W speakers. Im wondering what the best sub for these would be. The subs of B&W are above my budget.
Im also wondering what CHIFI brands make a good sub..im thinking about a small sub. My room is not so big so a small size would do. And i assume they being less exspensive.
Big huge bass is not perse what im looking for i think such are in my situation difficult to set up with bookshelf speakers. But a tight and responsive base for music and movies is the thing im searching for.

What do you say about this one?
https://www.amazon.nl/Edifier-T5-aangedreven-subwoofer-8-inch-driver/dp/B07Z58GD12/ref=sr_1_10?__mk_nl_NL=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3E61NDE9P7655&keywords=subwoofer&qid=1706978473&sprefix=subwoofer,aps,90&sr=8-10

From what im reading this sub is not only the OOMPH bass but its also suitable for music listening. You have to set it up for you,re taste ofcourse.
And the price is within my budget.

Last edited:
Edifier speakers are often mentioned here to that might be worth a try. That sub is only £130 on Amazon uk, so looks like you’re paying a good bit more in the Netherlands…

What
Edifier speakers are often mentioned here to that might be worth a try. That sub is only £130 on Amazon uk, so looks like you’re paying a good bit more in the Netherlands…
Thanks. I will investigate a little more These edifiier are on my list. The price is very good i think.

They only go down to 38Hz! What is the frequency response of your B&W speakers?
The profile matters as much as the number they go down to. My Lintons go down to 40hz on the spec sheet, yet they have much more bass than the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 I have that go down to 32hz

The profile matters as much as the number they go down to. My Lintons go down to 40hz on the spec sheet, yet they have much more bass than the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 I have that go down to 32hz
You might want to recheck the specs. The Lintons go down to 35Hz (-6dB) whereas the MA Bronze 5 go down to 37Hz (not stated but I assume it is -6dB). Also, neither is a subwoofer.

Polk audio makes inexpensive, high-performance subwoofers. 🙂

28hz(-3)

Amazon.nl €399
HTSSUB12BK

In this video, the excellent characteristics of Polk audio psw10 are reviewed.

I am using Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 sounding great had these speakers for a good 15 years. Tempted by an upgrade but the amp was the first step from a Cambridge A1 amp. Enjoying some of my favourite albums again is great. I wonder whether adding a sub be better than new speakers.

Back