What speakers are you using?

Have to check that, I was very sure they are not. Otherwise I would not have recommended them, of course.
I can't find any material description on Amazon in the United States. However, in the Japan catalog the material is listed.

1000001375.jpg

1000001373.jpg

Information as far as I know.

2RCA cable = OFC
Coaxial cable = clad
1RCA (Sub) cable = clad
Speaker cable (16 gauge) =clad

Last edited:
These wires are weird. On amazon.de they are claiming "copper plated connectors", not copper-clad steel conductor.

Amazon Basics Subwoofer Cable.png

This screenshot is taken from the German page, translated to English by Google Chrome. Later on they claim a dual-layer shielding, one layer made from aluminium, one from tinned copper. But they also list the contacts as being copper plated steel in the description, which surely they are not (because they are clearly gold plated, indeed). Doesn't make them more credible.

On the other hand I haven't heard of anyone using copper-clad steel in audio cables, while the infamous copper-clad aluminium is a constant nuisance. Those Amazon Basics cables I own personally (like three or four of them) are extremely flexible, really much, much more flexible then I would expect from CCA.

I don't quite feel like ripping one of those cables apart right now. :oops:

These wires are weird. On amazon.de they are claiming "copper plated connectors", not copper-clad steel conductor.

View attachment 4968

This screenshot is taken from the German page, translated to English by Google Chrome. Later on they claim a dual-layer shielding, one layer made from aluminium, one from tinned copper. But they also list the contacts as being copper plated steel in the description, which surely they are not (because they are clearly gold plated, indeed). Doesn't make them more credible.

On the other hand I haven't heard of anyone using copper-clad steel in audio cables, while the infamous copper-clad aluminium is a constant nuisance. Those Amazon Basics cables I own personally (like three or four of them) are extremely flexible, really much, much more flexible then I would expect from CCA.

I don't quite feel like ripping one of those cables apart right now. :oops:

Basically, I think that any Amazon basic cable that does not have "OFC" listed on it is cladding. 😊

I'll add it here again.
Information as far as I know.
2RCA cable = OFC
Coaxial cable = clad
1RCA (Sub) cable = clad
Speaker cable (16 gauge) =clad

Try BlueRigger subwoofer cables (available on Amazon).

I'm not completely convinced, yet. One reviewer on amazon.com did tear one of his cables apart and believes the conductor to be tinned copper rather than copper-clad aluminium. :p That would be unusual, but not impossible. Some swear by tinned copper cables.

Yes, the 2 x RCA to 2 x RCA cable is explicitly described as OFC. If in doubt, get this stereo cable instead and rip the two strands apart, @wiimamp user. :) The price of this cable for any given length (e.g. 4.6 m) is almost identical to the single run "subwoofer" cable. As I said, there's absolutely nothing special about subwoofer cables. :)

And just to make it perfectly clear:

4.6 m Amazon Basic stereo RCA cable is actually cheaper than 4.6 m Amazon Basic mono subwoofer RCA cable. :p

4.6 m Amazon Basic stereo RCA cable is actually cheaper than 4.6 m Amazon Basic mono subwoofer RCA cable. :p
Guess they sell more of the RCA cable and have it priced accordingly, independent of the materials used.

I've just move the Wiim to my small games room, I'm using Edifier r1280dbs, they are active, along with an old Rel Quake subwoofer, sounds great:)

Not in the UK. £6.84 for the subwoofer cable and £11.92 for the stereo RCA cable.

Guess they sell more of the RCA cable and have it priced accordingly, independent of the materials used.
Absolutely possible. Who knows. Is the stereo RCA cable known to be a coaxial cable as well? It could also be that the conductor of the subwoofer cable is actually made from the same material as the shielding.

Not in the UK. £6.84 for the subwoofer cable and £11.92 for the stereo RCA cable.
The subwoofer cable is currently on sale in the UK, though, the stereo cable is not. Cannot compare the US pricing right now, since the 15 ft sub cable is currently unavailable. :p

Sorry for taking this thread more and more off-topic. Maybe there should be a separate thread on RCA cables. Or maybe we should care less about them. :)

WiiM Pro -> Audiolab 7000a -> 2x Wharfedale Evo 4.4

I am super happy with the sound, especially with PEQ room correction based on House Curve measuring results.

The Low pass setting should be adjustable from 80 Hz up to 160 Hz. Turn the knob fully clockwise (160 Hz). You don't want the built-in low pass to get into the way of the WiiM Amp lowpass.

Set the volume knob to the 12 o'clock position (white mark pointing straight upwards).

Set the "phase switch" on the sub to 0⁰ (pointing upwards) and the power switch to ON or AUTO, whatever you prefer. I would try the AUTO setting first and see if the sub wakes up reliably when music is played at low levels.

Connect any reasonable single channel RCA cable from the WiiM Amp's sub out to either the left or right line-in connector (white or red, it really doesn't matter). You do not need a splitter cable (Y-style cable). Amazon Basics subwoofer cables are cheap and of good quality. There's nothing special to a subwoofer cable, except it's just a single run (mono, not stereo).

In the WiiM Home App open your amp's settings and enter the subwoofer menu. Set the Sub Output toggle switch to "on". Listen to some music. Play around a bit with the level slider. You want more bass extension, of course, but the sub should not stand out, but integrate smoothly.

Change the phase setting in the WiiM Home App from 0⁰ to 180⁰ and keep the setting that sounds louder. Radjust level, if necessary.

Do you have room for the sub in the middle between your speakers? If so, you should try crossover frequency settings in the range from 80 Hz to maybe 150 Hz. Changes made in the app will be applied on the fly, so you can instantly listen to the result. Again, you don't want the sub to stand out, but to integrate seamlessly. Playing some music with a prominent amount of acoustic double bass can help to determine, if the crossover frequency is set too high.

If you need to place the sub outside the speakers' base then rather try crossover frequencies in the range of 70 Hz to 90 Hz. Wit your speakers (DM 601, first generation? Not S2 or S3?) I would definitely not go lower than 60 Hz. But you are free to try it out.

You can adjust these settings any time. Just don't fall for the behavior of adjusting them differently for different kinds of music. If you feel like you want more or less bass for movies or acoustic music, rock or electronica, just use EQ presets instead.
That was very useful and informative post. Thank you for doing that.

I've been following along on the speaker discussion as I'm adding a Velodyne HGS10CA to my WiiM Amp along with my Thiel CX3.5's.
I'm still amazed at how well the little amp can drive those speakers and the convenience of the app is just outstanding.

Thanks again for the info.

Thank you so much for your help. I will order a new subwoofer cable from Amazon 😊👍

And..i could buy the second handed Polk audio subwoofer. So glad i could purchase this one for a very good price ☺️.

When it arrives i have to practice a bit to set it up correctly.

I use Wiim Amp with Wharfedale Evo 4.4 , initial setup was with Polk Audio ES55.
Poor manufacturing quality on Polk Audio , but they sounded pretty fair for their price.Evo 4.4 other league.
Wiim amp was great with both of them , works pretty cold on 20-30% volume .

Attachments

• IMG_20240131_181626202.jpg
    IMG_20240131_181626202.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240207-104638.png
    Screenshot_20240207-104638.png
    817.1 KB · Views: 22
I've just move the Wiim to my small games room, I'm using Edifier r1280dbs, they are active, along with an old Rel Quake subwoofer, sounds great:)
Back on topic: Any particular reason for choosing these speakers? Did you already have them? And do you connect them to the WiiM Amp.via Bluetooth?

This setup will definitely not show the WiiM Amp's full potential, it deserves better (passive) speakers in my view.

Last edited:
Back on ropic;: Any particular reason for choosing these speakers? Did you already have them? And do you connect them to the WiiM Amp.via Bluetooth?

This setup will definitely not show the WiiM Amp's full potential, it deserves better (passive) speakers in my view.
From their spec on Amazon, they have optical and coax inputs as well as being Bluetooth speakers.

I got my WiiM Amp a couple of days ago and found a second hand pair of Q Acoustics 2050i locally for £115. They sound amazing to my untrained ears - question is do I ad a sub??

Also looking for a wireless speaker(s) for multiroom and would welcome thoughts on sound and value for money... I would be streaming on spotify (or possibly Tidal if I can justify the sub) and also sharing CD's from the player connected to the amp!

I'm the proud owner of a pair of Mackie MR524 5" 50W active studio monitors connected via balanced TRS cables to a S.M.S.L. d-6 DAC which is then connected to Wiim Pro over optical connection in a 14㎡ living room.
Monitors are positioned on top of 80cm stands + cca 5cm of foam pads, poiting slightly upwards for tweeters to meet the height of my music hungry ears on the sofa.
Sound is excellent and the speaker output is limited at half ("U" mark at Level knob) which is more than enough for the various playing scenarios.
Besides that, there is a Sony BDP bluray player for my CD's that goes to wiim coaxial input and TV's optical cable that goes into DAC's optical input.
Monitors are set in a 3m distance from each other and from my listening position.
Most of the sound control is set through the wiim home android app where I choose between Spotify and HQ (sound and content) radio streams.

Last edited:
Back