What speakers are you using?

Did have Q Acoustic 3020 on stands but found the sound a bit irritating.
Now use Wharfedale 9.0 with SW150 Sub....Lovely
Hi, I bought some q acoustic 3020i's for a good second hand price but they couldn't fill the shoes of a pair of vintage energy pro series 2.5's that I picked up for $30! They sounded good, but only sometimes, better with a sub. I should have sold them before their value dropped. I'm using the pro + into a budget yamaha amp and it sounds fantastic.

Did have Q Acoustic 3020 on stands but found the sound a bit irritating.
Now use Wharfedale 9.0 with SW150 Sub....Lovely

why did you buy $1800 kef r3 and run them with a $100 amp? you wont be getting the best out of them
Thanks for the feedback. I spent money where it matters most. Expensive electronics can come later. I am also open to learning. Apart from the $ differences, can you elaborate on what you said ?

why did you buy $1800 kef r3 and run them with a $100 amp? you wont be getting the best out of them
If it sounds good to the owner's ear, does it matter? I run my wiim amp with $1200 wharfedale lintons, and it pairs nicely.

Using a pair of Triangle esprit Titus ez's.
It's my secondary system, after a Dali Rubicon and Cambridge audio one.
The sound is incredibly fast and open.
Sounds a lot like planar magnetic headphones.
Doesn't sound too bright, but definitely not dark or veiled.

Not a lot of bass though, after moving the speakers about a meter into the room. So will probably get something like a svs micro sub.

At about 35% volume is enough to start annoying the neighbors.
1000002490.jpg

Using a pair of Triangle esprit Titus ez's.
It's my secondary system, after a Dali Rubicon and Cambridge audio one.
The sound is incredibly fast and open.
Sounds a lot like planar magnetic headphones.
Doesn't sound too bright, but definitely not dark or veiled.

Not a lot of bass though, after moving the speakers about a meter into the room. So will probably get something like a svs micro sub.

At about 35% volume is enough to start annoying the neighbors.
View attachment 6303

Yes i would think a sub would make the sound even better.👍

My Wiim Amp is currently connected to a couple of KEF R3 Metas and the sub is a Sony SA-CS9. While the room correction arrives I'm using the House Curve filters on SqueezeDSP

I wrote this elsewhere already, but my Amp is connected to a pair of Focal Chorus 826V tower speakers in a room of about 27 m². I rarely move the volume past the second indicator light. I really love the speakers, and the Amp does a great job in bringing their qualities to the foreground.

It sounds weird to couple the diminutive Wiim Amp with big tower speakers, but they actually have the same kind of unobtrusive design to them (with the speaker grilles attached) and just blend into the rest of the furniture.

I wrote this elsewhere already, but my Amp is connected to a pair of Focal Chorus 826V tower speakers in a room of about 27 m². I rarely move the volume past the second indicator light. I really love the speakers, and the Amp does a great job in bringing their qualities to the foreground.

It sounds weird to couple the diminutive Wiim Amp with big tower speakers, but they actually have the same kind of unobtrusive design to them (with the speaker grilles attached) and just blend into the rest of the furniture.
I agree with you. I'm so glad I found someone here who loves Focal. I own three pairs of Focal entry speakers. Currently, the WiiM amp plays beautiful and cheerful music on my Focal chorus 716. It's fun! 😊

Hi all,
Let me begin to introduce myself as a new member. Seems a good thread to begin also. My name is Martin, approaching 63 soon and living in The Netherlands. I love listening to music with a broad interest. 70’s - 80’s being at the top, followed by jazz an classical.

Since a couple of weeks I own the WIIM Amp ( which I really love so far ) providing enough power for my Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders. No sub needed here. ;) This is my main system. Tidal is my preferred streaming service and everything is managed by Roon running on a Mac Mini M1 as Core. Roon displays all the album art and track/artist info on my tv while listening to the music.(great option if desired)

I don’t have the WIIM Amp hooked up to my tv via HDMI. Apple TV is used for all my tv watching in conjunction with a stereo pair of HomePod second gen’s. I think my home entertainment is 60% music listening vs 40% tv watching. The latter mostly being F1 TV Pro, YouTube and Amazone Prime. Well……that’s all for now, hoping on a nice time over here with some constructive and positive discussions.

Best regards,
Martin.

Hi all,
Let me begin to introduce myself as a new member. Seems a good thread to begin also. My name is Martin, approaching 63 soon and living in The Netherlands. I love listening to music with a broad interest. 70’s - 80’s being at the top, followed by jazz an classical.

Since a couple of weeks I own the WIIM Amp ( which I really love so far ) providing enough power for my Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders. No sub needed here. ;) This is my main system. Tidal is my preferred streaming service and everything is managed by Roon running on a Mac Mini M1 as Core. Roon displays all the album art and track/artist info on my tv while listening to the music.(great option if desired)

I don’t have the WIIM Amp hooked up to my tv via HDMI. Apple TV is used for all my tv watching in conjunction with a stereo pair of HomePod second gen’s. I think my home entertainment is 60% music listening vs 40% tv watching. The latter mostly being F1 TV Pro, YouTube and Amazone Prime. Well……that’s all for now, hoping on a nice time over here with some constructive and positive discussions.

Best regards,
Martin.
Hi Martin!

I’m about to push the button on new speakers and was looking at the Oberon 5 for my Amp. Are you pleased with the combo, any thoughts would be highly appreciated!
Atm I’m running b&w cm1 + asw608 sub but they are quite low on impedance and not super for the tv. A really nice combination of speaker + sub but perhaps more suited with a more powerful amp.

Hi Martin!

I’m about to push the button on new speakers and was looking at the Oberon 5 for my Amp. Are you pleased with the combo, any thoughts would be highly appreciated!
Atm I’m running b&w cm1 + asw608 sub but they are quite low on impedance and not super for the tv. A really nice combination of speaker + sub but perhaps more suited with a more powerful amp.
Hi Valdo,
I am very happy with my Dali's. I bought them a couple of years ago to pair them up with a Yamaha Network Receiver ( R-N 602)
Nothing wrong with that combo, but.....Yamaha Musiccast as a streaming platform is e real PITA. No gapless playback in combination with that type of model. They fixed that on the newer models I believe. Of course there is a workaround for that ....like running Tidal through a seperate streamer/dac combo using the Yamaha as a amp only. Done that, but didn't like it. From the first time I heard of the Wiim amp it got my attention.

I bought the WIimm Amp on Amazon using the 30 day return policy as a bail out option in case I didn't like it. Never looked back though :)
It works like a charm, giving a lot of clarity and midrange detail coupled to the Dali's. This speaker isnt't to fuzzy about amplification ( anything from 30-150 watt will do nicely. If you call them neutral I think they are a bit south of that. Slightly on the warmer side. Impedance is 6 Ohm Nominal. Freq. range: 39-26000. Sensitivity: 88 DB. At the end of the day........these are just numbers. Room situation and speaker placement is the great divider IMHO. As a floorstander it is considered a small one. Hight is 830 mm. The soft dome tweeter has a wide dispersion and isn't to demanding when it comes to reaching you at ear level. My listening position from the speakers is 215 cm dead central. Speakers themself are also 215 cm apart from tweeter to tweeter. They are placed 85 cm from the front wall with no tow in. This way provides me with a large soundstage reaching well beyond the speakers. There is enough depth which makes it relatively easy for the speakers to disappear. They seperate the individual instruments and voices nicely.

My listening room measures 4 meter by 5 meter. Hight is 250 cm. Front wall is the long side. This means the Wimm amp's volume doesn't
exceed 2 to 3 bars. Anything louder and the neighbors would come knocking. ;) With a bit of PEQ I have got the bass nailed on, so a sub is definitely NOT needed. ( In my room situation.....obviously) The speakers never dissapoint me whatever music I am playing.

As I said in my previous post....I don't have my Wiim amp-speaker combo running TV duty via HDMI or Optical. For that I use a Apple TV 4K model 2021 with a pair of HomePod's second gen. Simply because they are capable of producing Dolby Atmos and Virtual Dolby surround when watching movies or tv shows on Prime. They do a much better job at that then the Wimm amp-speakers. The latter not capable of Dolby anyway. But.....I can say this. If you don't mind watching tv in pure stereo only, The Speaker - Amp combo produces a great and well defined foreward center image with clear focal definition. So nothing wrong with that. I hope all of this helps. Let me conclude to wish you the best and good luck with your search.

Best regards,
Martin.

The new Bowers & Wilkins 607 S3 bookshelf speakers. On my office desk at home with my WiiM amp. Using a Mac Mini as my Roon Core.

I think I want to upgrade the speakers to the Spendor A1 speakers though.
And I ended up getting the Spendor A1 bookshelf speakers!

Attachments

• 799D41BF-B1BD-4626-BF55-53061829E871.jpeg
    799D41BF-B1BD-4626-BF55-53061829E871.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Back